Help a noob out.. how to increase bunny hop height?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2013 1:44 PM

Hey forum, I recently started bmxing a few days ago and so far I can bunny hop.. but not enough to be anything proud of. I can land onto a curb neatly but that's pretty much the max. I watched some videos and the guys seem to raise their front up really high and that's what makes the bunnyhop high, thats the part I'm having trouble with. I don't get the timing of it, do I push with my legs first then pull my bars up? The other way around or both? Can someone share some methods you used to learn to hop higher? Thanks

|

11/4/2013 2:08 PM

u wanna sort of lean back a little pull the bars into your chest a litttle lush foward with your bars and with your feet point the toes down and scoop up

|

11/4/2013 2:19 PM

chad88 wrote:

u wanna sort of lean back a little pull the bars into your chest a litttle lush foward with your bars and with your feet point the toes down and scoop up

thanks.. so a bunnyhop basically begins with pulling the front end of the bike up, like a wheelie? and when do i begin to jump/push with my legs?

|

11/4/2013 3:39 PM

Think of a bunnyhop as two motions: up and out. The first thing you'll do is jump UP from your back and legs, the second thing is pushing the bike OUT in front of you, which will bring the back end up.

As you jump and start leaving the ground, your body will straighten out until you're pretty much straight up and down, almost like a standing position. This will cause your front wheel to go up first because your arms are shorter than your legs, and because you mostly hop off your back wheel. So your front wheel is going to come up as your shoulders and chest thrust upward into that straight up and down position.

Then, as you start on your way up off the ground, you'll go from pulling up on the handlebars to pushing them forward. At the same time, you'll bend your legs up into your butt, which will pull the back wheel up.

So, how high you hop depends on: 1. how hard you push off the ground and 2. how high you tuck the bike up into your body.

|

11/4/2013 4:44 PM

Yes, what these guys have said. I get max pop when I literally pull the bars back to the point of hitting my chest, and then sucking up my legs as hard as I can and pushing the bars forward. When I'm leveled out in the air for a regular hop, I look like my ass is over my back tire (over the rear hub area).

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

11/4/2013 4:48 PM

Colley Bailey wrote:

Think of a bunnyhop as two motions: up and out. The first thing you'll do is jump UP from your back and legs, the second thing is pushing the bike OUT in front of you, which will bring the back end up.

As you jump and start leaving the ground, your body will straighten out until you're pretty much straight up and down, almost like a standing position. This will cause your front wheel to go up first because your arms are shorter than your legs, and because you mostly hop off your back wheel. So your front wheel is going to come up as your shoulders and chest thrust upward into that straight up and down position.

Then, as you start on your way up off the ground, you'll go from pulling up on the handlebars to pushing them forward. At the same time, you'll bend your legs up into your butt, which will pull the back wheel up.

So, how high you hop depends on: 1. how hard you push off the ground and 2. how high you tuck the bike up into your body.

That was a clear explanation, thanks man.

|

11/6/2013 6:30 PM

No problem. Keep at it. Just work on getting the proper technique and the height will follow.

|

11/10/2013 1:02 PM

practice technique and maybe hit the gym if you want

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

11/13/2013 12:56 PM

2 motions but do it faster. harder for beginners to get the back up after the front if they dont do it fast. takes more strength and skill

|

11/18/2013 7:54 AM

Work on it! Set bars higher and you'll get it.
For me, really helped some YouTube videos, so you might check them out too.

|

11/20/2013 12:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2013 12:28 AM

Rub your hands like Birdman and all of your wishes will come true.

Photo

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

12/20/2013 11:31 AM

I try to pull my bars to my thighs before i level out.

|

12/26/2013 9:53 PM

Colley Bailey wrote:

This ^
Most in depth explanation I've heard

|

6/8/2016 10:01 AM

BBQgoat wrote:

2 motions but do it faster. harder for beginners to get the back up after the front if they dont do it fast. takes more strength and skill

Been frequent on the gym and yeah it takes a lot of strength and stamina working on bunny hops.(arms and legs are spread af) I just recently learnt the trick and need to work on pulling up the bars higher and I also seem to be struggling pulling up the back wheel..any help?
Thanks

|

7/25/2016 4:10 AM

Learning how to manual will help alot

|

8/1/2016 3:19 AM

i heard bigger bars are better. but dont trust my word

|

8/1/2016 10:40 AM

Bigger bars make it easier to lift the front end. But you can't hop as high. 3 year old thread, with hundreds just like it.....

|

8/18/2016 9:57 AM

Basically, if you know physics you know that if you push a wall it will push back at you with the same value of force. So what you want to do before you bunny hop is push down your front end of the bike towards the ground pretty hard, and that will let you pick the front wheel a lot easier and higher, when youve got the front end up what you wanna do is what your normally do, which us push the bars forward but also tuck as hard as you can. Before you bunny hop your weight should be on the front end of the bike, when you've picked the front end up, your weight should be over the centre and finally when you tuck in, your body should be over the back wheel. Once you have that mastered, you can go even higher by tilting your bike to the side whilst in mid air, that will help you get a few inches higher

|

9/2/2016 6:51 PM

Learn how to loop out in a manual, if you cant loop out you wont be able to hop higher. Then push down on the ground really hard and rocket straight up. After doing this you push forward and bend your knees. Keep practicing this and it will happen smile

|