Help with 180's?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2014 4:39 PM

hey guys, so I am having trouble with learning 180's atm. I can not, for the life of me, be able to turn my body enough. I get about 90 degrees because I cant seem to either, like I said, turn my body enough, or either I am not carving enough or I am carving to much. its super frustrating because I am concentrating on the bunny hop and trying to turn my body at the same time. I can bunny hop relatively high and my bmx buddies say I am hopping high enough and I can bring my back end up enough as well. I am a girl, weigh roughly 105 lbs. I workout.. i am a country kid so I work with lifting lots... so I have strength. I can not get it down for the life of me. thanks fellow bmxers

|

3/13/2014 4:22 AM

My friend had this same problem first you should try getting about 1 1/2 cranks of speed before you 180 (it's easier to spin when you go alittle faster just don't go too fast otherwise you'll fly off) then if your right foot foreward ( vise versa if your left foot foreward) carve to the left the right and to the left again and on the last carve when your at about 45 degrees lift up you front tire and throw your head over your shoulders as you scoop your feet for the hop. It helps when you look over your shoulder at the spot on the ground where you want to land. And it also helps to almost kick the back end around with your legs. You don't rlly need to hop that high to 180 I can oppo foot 180 and I probably hop about 3 inches but still get the full rotation so you probably aren't committed enough

|

3/13/2014 6:01 AM

Bear Nimals wrote:

My friend had this same problem first you should try getting about 1 1/2 cranks of speed before you 180 (it's easier to spin ...more

Ahhh alright thanks for the tips. Im pretty sure my problem is just not putting my body into it enough. But those are some great tips. Thanks a ton

|

3/13/2014 2:44 PM

turn your head, go at more speed, carve more and pull more.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/24/2014 7:21 AM

carve, hop hard, turn your body. the higher you hop the easier it is trust me

|

3/24/2014 9:29 PM

You have to be VERY weak if your not close to 180. If you can some what handle your bike you should be able to get close. Also be able to "somewhat" handle your bike means your able to hop a good height. On the other hand, people say to carve. Carving may not be the thing for you. For me i can not carve at all. You really don't need to put that much effort into turning your body if you can hop a decent high. An other problem can be is the weight of your bike. I know people say weight doesn't matter. Well if your 6,0" and 200 pounds it doesn't, but for your case your probably 5,3" - 5,5" if your around 105lbs. A 30 pounds bike is not helping you. This doesn't mean get a new bike, but just take that into consideration. ( don't take my negativity to heart :D )

|

3/26/2014 12:59 PM

zissi1300 wrote:

You have to be VERY weak if your not close to 180. If you can some what handle your bike you should be able to get close. Also ...more

Its technique, not strenght

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

3/27/2014 1:45 AM

For 180's, starting off, you wanna carve a maximum of about 30 degrees. You don't need to carve much more or you'll tilt and go off axis. Pull the front end up and right before you get to 90 degrees, already start to pick up your back end scooping your back foot into the back pickup, assuming you're not fck-footed and can use your back foot to kick the bike into the spinning direction. Try to always land rear tire first and level out as much as possible because landing 2 tires is always the best. For fakies, don't land with so much pressure. Land with decent pressure only enough to stabilize the bike and allow you to pedal back comfortably afterwards.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/5/2014 8:03 AM

If you can hop high and you are able to turn your head, you can 180.

I think you're over thinking it...

Go a decent speed, carve, turn your head, and SPOT YOUR LANDING! Turning your head and spotting your landing are two very very important tips!

No one ever told me to spot my landing when I was learning and I wish they would have! It helps soooooo much in my opinion!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)