Help with flybox launch

Related:
Create New Tag

7/14/2018 4:21 PM

How’s it going? Looking for pointers, I’m building a fly box outta an old mini ramp. I can clear about 3-4 feet, before I build the center platform and wanna make sure the transition aid right. I’m only getting about a foot over the lip. Like I said it was a mini ramp. Any tips on height? I’m sure I could go faster. I’ve tried everything, pulling up, pushing forward. Thanks Photo

|

7/14/2018 7:13 PM

Try taking the coping off and having just a regular lip. That may help.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/19/2018 2:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2018 2:50 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Try taking the coping off and having just a regular lip. That may help.

Agree.

Coping is made to pop you up and out. I prefer ramps without coping since I dont really make use of them currently.

|

7/20/2018 6:43 AM

Do you think the coping matters if it barely sticks out, if at all from the ramp? Photo

|

7/20/2018 7:18 AM

Thing is, when you're jumping bikes, little adjustments matter.

I'd argue this: A spine is basically two butted kickers with coping. Most people aren't really boosting big airs over spines. What you have there looks like 1/2 a spine, so that may be why you're not really catching a lot of air.

A box jump/fly box doesn't have any coping at all, theoretically to give you 100% turbulence free launches into the air and over the box. On a quick google search, I did not find a single box jump with coping.

Powers of deduction and all that, since that's the only thing setting your launch apart it's probably whats preventing you from flying out.

Let us know, because now I'm interested to see if you take the coping off and start airing like 30' laughing

|

7/20/2018 7:39 AM

Cool thanks man. I’ll give it a shot

|

7/20/2018 8:50 AM

Go faster and move your landing back. Also if you are new to it, you will need to practice to get more air. Speed helps a lot though.

Bonus points for the Backtrail!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/20/2018 10:39 AM

Loads of people boost spines......
Go fast, pull up. That transition looks like you could easily clear the whole landing

|

7/20/2018 10:43 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Go faster and move your landing back. Also if you are new to it, you will need to practice to get more air. Speed helps a lot though.

Bonus points for the Backtrail!

Cool. Thanks. Yea I planned to move the landing back and build a platform, once I figured out far it was gonna through me. But what does the landing being so close have to do with how much air I’m getting? Photo

|

7/20/2018 10:45 AM

That’s my flair. I have a few older Haro race bikes too. I was into bmx in the late 90’s. I started riding with my kid. Now I’m really into it. Just picked up a 2019 Kink Whip Photo

|

7/20/2018 10:49 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Go fast, pull up. That transition looks like you could easily clear the whole landing

Sure people boost spines, but having coping on a box jump is silly. Two different tools for 2 very different jobs.

|

7/21/2018 9:47 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Sure people boost spines, but having coping on a box jump is silly. Two different tools for 2 very different jobs.

Coping isn't there to pop you out for airing, it's their to grind. It really doesn't hinder forward movement much at all. If it did people wouldn't use quarter's as fly outs.
Most spines are designed to be boosted

|