How to clean/ grease the bike?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2016 9:03 PM

What parts of the bike do I grease and what do i clean the bike with? What would be the best products to do this. i am hopefully buying a bmx soon and want to make sure I know how to maintain it

|

8/11/2016 1:17 AM

You should grease (or lube) pretty much anywhere that metal comes into contact with metal. Apart from your stem/bars/forks and axle/dropouts. If you've got sealed bearings you shouldn't really need to grease them. But if you ever take them out you should put a bit of grease in the cup before putting them back in to help prevent them seizing. Your crank/axle and crank/pedals should be greased to prevent it seizing too. Use a good quality chain lube on your chain, and can be used in your driver too.
Seat post/seat tube should have a bit of grease, again to prevent seizing.
If you have loose bearings, it's a good idea to strip, clean and re grease them every few months. However, they don't usually last long on a bmx so you'd be better off upgrading parts.
Most things only need greasing to prevent them from seizing with other parts

To clean things I just use a cloth and ptfe based spray.

I use park tools poly lube for pretty much everything on my bike. But most multi purpose greases you can pick up from a hardware store will do the job

I think that's everything, but it's early here so I probably missed something obvious

|

8/11/2016 7:38 AM

Thanks for the reply! I know i sound super stupid but what are the axel cranks?

|

8/12/2016 1:50 AM

The crank axle is the axle between the 2 crank arms. There'll be splines on it which should have a bit of grease on them to prevent seizing. Some people call it a spindle, but it's technically an axle

|