How to paint trans colors?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/16/2011 3:50 PM

i'm thinking of painting my frame and I was wondering how I would be able to paint transparent colors. The particular color I have in mind is gold (like the S&M BTM trans gold). Anyone have any experience with painting translucent/transparent coors?

|

5/16/2011 3:59 PM

buy legit paint and do it the same way you'd paint anyother frame.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

5/16/2011 10:03 PM

I tried to get this paint on my frame. It is very hard to get it like they come from S&M and such. Unless your frame is currently factory raw that look is impossible. In order to get anywhere near that color you have to have the powdercoater sandblast your frame, you take it home and sand it down to try and get welds and frame tube color variations to show then return it to powdercoater.

Even then the guy told me it would be an extra 50 bucks to get trans colors.

As for rattle can I have no idea if anyone has a color like that but even then the most legit rattle can jobs look like shit.

Best option, buy a frame that comes that color.

|

[LINK TO IMAGE]
Refs: ScramHype, Wade, jwnolte, beastassdick, ///digitalme, iridebmx2122

8/12/2011 3:04 PM

if u wanna paint it trans colors, first u will need to buy a metallic paint(it will not look metallic wen done), they usually sell it at walmart or autozone for 7-10$, its the one with a metallic colored cap they usually have purple, blue an green an sometimes gold buy that
ok so first u have it sanded all da way down so u can see the all the welds an stuff, then more less make the surface smooth with steel wool (the semi abrasive one), the n blow it with an air compressor to take of dust from the steel wool, the hang it some where perferably put a wire thru the gyro tab holes if u have em if not thru the head tube, then start spraying the frame with the paint u will need no primer an wen ur done it should appear to be trans-watever color u got

i've used this before on my frame if u want pics ask

|

text meh 760 five nine5 59eight six

8/16/2011 7:25 PM

duplicolor metalcast paint available at autozone
|

Maintenance guy at The Railyard Bike Park in Rogers, Arkansas

facebook.com/TheRailyardAR/
Insta @the_railyard

facebook.com/tedhuie
Insta @ted_danger

8/17/2011 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2011 3:52 PM

jmez123 wrote:

if u wanna paint it trans colors, first u will need to buy a metallic paint(it will not look metallic wen done), they usually sell it at walmart or autozone for 7-10$, its the one with a metallic colored cap they usually have purple, blue an green an sometimes gold buy that
ok so first u have it sanded all da way down so u can see the all the welds an stuff, then more less make the surface smooth with steel wool (the semi abrasive one), the n blow it with an air compressor to take of dust from the steel wool, the hang it some where perferably put a wire thru the gyro tab holes if u have em if not thru the head tube, then start spraying the frame with the paint u will need no primer an wen ur done it should appear to be trans-watever color u got

i've used this before on my frame if u want pics ask

Do what he is suggesting.

However, to get colours like brilliant candy coat red aka metalic trans. Follow the steps he says and after u sand/steel wool it. Polish the frame with metal polish or and a buffing machine, until the bare crmo like like its close to a chromey colour. Before you spray it, the glem from the steel will make the metalic paint more brilliant, coming close to the colour of a type II anodise(like stems). If you doing this method...spray it quickly as the bare metal will rust very fast. I have observed that a fully rawed and polished frame will take only a few hours to form rust on the surface. Note, Taiwanense frames in fully rawed states will rust faster than a US made crmo frame. But, it will happen very quickly in both cases...depending on the relative humdity of your painting place. In my case its about to see a slight rust coating after about 8-10 hours(humditiy ranges from 70-90%).

Alternativly you can also spray a mix of 50:50 Metalic: clear coat. If you using spray cans, spray both equally together(at the same time), note the correct ratio is hard to get with spray cans. This will give you an effect know as vivid trans. Similiar to metalic trans, but you do not need to polish the frame.

Also if you want an effect somewhat like Trans-red proper TTL(older model), slightly see thru trans colour. You can also add a few additional layers of glossy clearcoat. to either method after they have dried.

|