Hub/Axle Issue

Related:
Create New Tag

5/16/2016 6:23 PM

New here--hoping for a bit of help...

I have 29" BMX made by Framed that I use to cruise around and basically go back and forth to work on. I was having some trouble with my chain being loose quite often and so I flipped it over and took it apart--and found that a lock washer had cracked and rubbed some metal off the piece it was sitting on (pics below).

Keeping in mind that I have never worked on a bike basically at all--even if I could find the right washer (I snapped a pic of the good one on the other side) I think whatever part the washer was riding on is no longer going to hold the washer in place. Is it difficult to replace this part or should I just take it to a bike shop? The bike cost $300 brand new so I don't really want to put alot into it. I could be wrong, but this is the axle not the hub right?

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/16/2016 10:05 PM

Contact the shop you bought it from, they'll either have spares, or be able to get them. Washers like that aren't a bmx thing though. It looks like the damage is mostly cosmetic and shouldn't affect it too much

|

5/17/2016 4:37 AM

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply. I actually bought it online at the-house.com so I don't think there will be much help there. I do think, as you say, that the hub (made by Quarda I think it says) is actually used for mountain bikes. Necessary I guess due to the huge wheels? I may contact the manufacturer and see what they suggest. I have done mostly cruising on the bike and some very very light jumping that's it. So it's a defect of some kind for sure.

|

5/17/2016 7:46 AM

Could it be quando? They make all sorts of hubs for all sorts of bikes. However, I'm not too sure how easy it is to get spares like that for them. Contact the place you bought the bike just in case. Maybe check with a lbs. It might take a bit of digging to get, but you might get lucky and find one quickly/easily

|

5/17/2016 9:49 AM

Yeah, Quando looks right. I only have a somewhat fuzzy picture of the logo. A quick google search did not yield promising results for a replacement haha. I have sent an email to Framed to see what they say. I've had the bike for a little over a year and there is no way something like this should have broken already.

If I have to replace the hub I'll take it to a bike shop which is (somewhat) local. I live in a pretty rural area. Also I'm thinking it will cost probably half the cost of the actual bike to get the work done.

|

5/17/2016 11:51 AM

I would've thought they'd at least be able to source a new bushing for it. And that should cost no more than a few quid. If not a local lbs might be able to get it.

|