I'm new here and I need some help... (handlebars, bunnyhop, tires, etc.)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2013 12:48 PM

hey everyone, just wanna say that I finally decided to join the forum after lurking around long enough to actually made me register here! Actually I just started riding again last month after stopping several years back when my bike got stolen and I'm basically re-learning all the basics again and getting used to riding and stuff. Anyhow, I got myself a 2013 Sunday Gary Young AM last month as a sort of birthday present and glad to say its kinda nice riding a proper 21" bike lol. (as I live in Malaysia, they don't really sell 21" bike and this was practically the last bike in stock! Beats the hell out of the old 19.5 I rode years ago)

Anyhow, my questions are more regarding my bike rather than skill (okay, maybe the bunnyhops but I'll go on that a bit later) and I just wonder:

is a 8.5 or a 9 rise handlebar better for my size?
As I bought myself a complete bike (and almost all the parts are pretty decent), I just want to upgrade the bike a bit so it would be more comfortable to ride. One thing I never liked was the handlebars. Beside it being heavy (its hi-ten and not full chromoly) I somehow find the bar to be a bit long for me. Even after cutting 0.5 inches (which makes the width 27 inches I guess?) it still felt kinda "long" for me. Also it also feels short since I'm 6.0ft tall and I just find it hard to "pull" the handlebar and even find doing manuals a bit difficult. (let alone bunnyhops, but again, I'll ask later)

So my question is, is going for a 9" rise bar gonna be better for me? I already tried riding some of my friend's bike and all of them were using 8 or 8.5 rise so I can't really say it suits me that well. But of all the handlebars I tested, the Shadow Vultus seems to be almost perfect for me. Somehow the way they construct the bars just made it fell "just nice" even if the height and width was the same as my current Triumph XL replica bar. Been checking out the Vultus online, they seem to also have a 9 and 9.5 rise handlebar as well but since I never tested them I can't tell if its worth getting the 9 or 9.5. Also my stem is a Sunday Freeze top load, and its already have a 34mm rise so I don't know if using a 9 rise would make it too tall for me. (the friend who was using the 8.5 Vultus was using a front load stem, so obviously its not as tall as it will be on my bike)

Been looking around for answers regarding this, but none of them seems to have a straight answer. (mostly they just said its all about preferences and sh*t) Okay... with that done now I guess I can move to my second question:

Is going from 2.25 to 2.35 gonna make a difference?

As my bike came standard with the Duro 2.25, I was thinking of changing to a wider tire which is also lighter and can take more tire pressure than my current tire. (my tires can only go to 65psi max, but I only put 60psi just to be safe) At the moment I still haven't test if a 2.35 tire would fit my bike both front and rear, but I will test it out soon as one of my friend is selling off his slightly used Demolition Momentum. If it does fit, I'll buy it from him and might also order another Momentum for the rear. But is riding a 2.35 front and back good or should I use a slightly smaller rear? (like a 2.25 or 2.1 perhaps?) I remember I used to ride a 2.1 front and a 1.95 rear because at the time those were the only tires I could run lol. But the smaller rear is meant to get more speed as far as I know, but I guess with the technology today its not that much different if you run smaller or even the same size as the front. I just want to get more grip on the bike (and also run higher pressure tires obviously) so I could ride more easily at the skate park.

But yeah... how much of a difference is a tire like the Momentum gonna be compared with the stock Duro? I did test out my friend's bike, but most of them weren't running 2.35 or even the Momentum, so I can't really say much. (or well, I guess it was kinda easier to push in and out of ramps since their tires could run more pressure)and lastly...

Bunnyhops

yeah, I guess a lot of other people had already asked this here (and let's face it, I only joined so I didn't get to look at their posts just yet) but will changing the handlebar and tires make it easier to do bunnyhops (as well as airing quarter pipes)? I know its not the bike that is making bunnyhops difficult (but I guess it was even harder when I was using a shorter bike lol) and my friend could bunnyhop my bike no problem (but he has ride for years compared to me) so as a beginner, is there an easier way to learn bunnyhops without the obvious "making the bike lighter" answer? I know being comfortable with the bike is one of the answer, but technique wise... how to lift the front easy enough for me to "push" the rear up? Somehow as it is, I find it hard to pull the bike up and let alone trying to push the bars in front while tucking my knees in. From what my friend said I just have to practice pulling up and pushing my bike on the ground a lot before I could get used to bunnyhopping (which I hope it is true). But yeah... I still finding doing hops much easier than bunnyhops. (my hops are only 10-20cm high at most, which is a bit sad) Hopefully once I do get to nail the bunnyhops I could learn more tricks after that!

Anyhow I apologize if the post is a bit long-winded, but I appreciate if anyone can help me here. Don't really have to answer all if you can't. smile

|

7/11/2013 12:04 PM

Bar height is personal preference.

I didn't see where you mentioned your height. Unless you're really tall, the bars you have are fine.
Same with tires. You can pump the ones you have up a bit over the listed pressure.

I would suggest you ride the bike as is and learn some bike control. A lighter bike won't help your technique as much as simply spending time riding your bike.

My suggestion is, just ride around and hit curbs cuts/fly outs and try to find other folks to ride with.

|

7/12/2013 1:10 AM

pnj wrote:

Bar height is personal preference.

I didn't see where you mentioned your height. Unless you're really tall, the bars you have are fine.
Same with tires. You can pump the ones you have up a bit over the listed pressure.

I would suggest you ride the bike as is and learn some bike control. A lighter bike won't help your technique as much as simply spending time riding your bike.

My suggestion is, just ride around and hit curbs cuts/fly outs and try to find other folks to ride with.

I'm 6 feel tall actually. (or about 186cm) also I weight roughly around 100kg or so. Thanks for the reply man, and yeah... I guess the only way to get better is to practice. I agree making a lighter bike won't help me improve, but at least changing some parts to make myself feel more comfortable riding won't hurt so much right? I already swapped the front tires with the Demolition Momentum 2.35 yesterday, and I feel the tires are a lot more grippy than the Duro tires I used to run when I tested them at the skate park last night. Not sure if I'm gonna swap the rear tires as well, but I guess I'll use the stock Duro tire for the rear for now. smile

|

7/17/2013 12:33 PM

Hey man, I just joined the forums too. I've been biking for a while and am getting back into it again after a lot of time off. All I can say is don't buy new parts yet, it isn't necessary (you can do it if you want, it really doesnt matter, but economically it would be easier, obviously). Unless something is actually broken, then dont focus on what parts you should get. What pnj said is what you should do. Focus on having fun and adapting to your bike for what it is. Learn technique and gain muscle memory. Obviously then, when you buy new parts, you will already know how to do specific tricks, just with a lighter bike or maybe a slightly different headset or bar angle. New parts merely add a new feel to the bike. Buy new parts if you want, but you can learn to do anything just as well on a stock walmart bike as you can on a 25 pound bike.

|