Loose Sprocket

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2018 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2018 8:19 PM

Hi, My parents recently got me a used 2014 GT Slammer. ive had it for a week and ive noticed that my sprocket slightly moves side to side or back and forth. i dont know whats wrong with it. my crankset doesnt seem to have a screw hole where you can tighten the sprocket onto. please help. its also a 3 piece crank

|

6/2/2018 10:41 PM

it moves side to side when you rotate the cranks, or it moves side to side when you try to wiggle it with your fingers?

Your cranks are spline drive, they don't need the little bolt.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

6/2/2018 11:01 PM

Oldguyjon wrote:

it moves side to side when you rotate the cranks, or it moves side to side when you try to wiggle it with your fingers?

Your ...more

It moves side to side when i move them with my fingers. What would be the case if they were to m9ve when peddled

|

6/3/2018 5:27 PM

Oldguyjon wrote:

Your ...more

Kyle32845 wrote:

It moves side to side when i move them with my fingers. What would be the case if they were to m9ve when peddled

if it wobbles when pedalled, it usually means your sprocket is bent. you may be able to live with that. If it is loose enough to wiggle with your hands, and there is no sprocket bolt, you have a much bigger problem . The sprocket is chewing it's splines and will ruin your spindle. That's bad.

Are the crank arms themselves tight? Is there a gap between arm and sprocket or is it between sprocket and bottom bracket? If it isn't too far gone, you should be able to take it apart, clean off any metal shavings and get it back on snug again.

|

2012 Norco Deviant

6/3/2018 5:38 PM

so....gt only makes one type of 3 piece crank, and it's an 8 spline pinch bolt type. So there should be a sprocket bolt on your bike....gonna need some pictures here..

I looked it up because spline drive is pricey and the Slammer is not a high end model.

|

2012 Norco Deviant