Need some advice for my manuals.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/6/2017 2:03 PM

Hi all,

Apologies if there is a previous thread similar to this but I could really do with some help for my situation. I haven't been into bmx for long, I'm pretty new to it. I'm comfortable with the basics but I can't manual to save my life. I get the front wheel up no problem but as soon as its up it just falls to the ground.

From what little I can see, my posture seems to be okay. My arms are straight and I'm shifting my weight to the back wheel (pretty much squating). My front wheel still drops. I feel if I lean back any further I'll loop out. I'm only little, maybe I need to lean back a little more to compensate for my tiny 53kg self? Or maybe the fear of looping out and having a bad landing is a barrier between me and pulling this off?

Any tips or tricks that helped you learn would be appreciated!

|

2/6/2017 5:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2017 9:39 PM

Get comfortable with looping out. It's a part of manualing that you will occasionally have to loop out.

Just keep trying, a manual is a fine balance between you pulling up and back on the bars and pushing down and forwards on the pedals. It's more of a balance of tension than anything else. If you're dropping it more than looping out, it means you're not fully committing to it.

It will take time, effort and patience to learn them. It's usually easiest to learn them if you have a set point to start from and a set point you want to reach, 3 car park spaces is what I started with and what I'd recommend anyone else to start with. Tweak how you're trying them so you can figure out the little things that make it easier to go further and get more stable. Occasionally, you'll get one where you're just locked in and go much further than usual and/or find it to be much easier than usual, just take what you did differently in that one and try to do it again in the next one.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/7/2017 4:52 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Get comfortable with looping out. It's a part of manualing that you will occasionally have to loop out.

Just keep trying, a ...more

Thanks for the advice, I look forward to trying it out when it eventually stops raining here! smile

|

2/7/2017 7:11 PM

xSUP3Rx wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I look forward to trying it out when it eventually stops raining here! smile

In the exact same boat, 6-8 months of constant rain every year here in the west of Ireland. Find an underground/sheltered car park near you that you won't get kicked out of and you'll be set for learning any flat trick any time of the year.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/19/2017 8:52 PM

I feel looping out on purpose but controled helps. If you are that far back that you can hop off the back...you are just past the perfect balance point. So, lean back till you can hop off the back a few times. It will build confidence that you won't fall too. Then remember the spot you started to loop out at and just go say 1/2-1 inch further forward. You should be in the perfect place now for balance and as long as you committ 100% you should have it.

Remember long manuals take practice so even 2 car lengths is a good start

|

6/24/2017 3:27 PM

Get some speed but be comfortable, imagine what its like doing a manual on a pumptrack when your going really slow, its just impossible. And if your to afraid of looping out then you should just practice doing that until your no longer afraid because you will just not improve otherwise

|

Trails not Rails

Trails YT Channel