New bike, wheel wobble?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2018 7:49 PM

Got a new cult complete bike this week and after putting it together, I noticed that the front wheel has a pretty decent wobble at one spot. This is my first bike, and first time assembling one. After doing a little research, could the wheels need truing? I figured with it being a brand new bike that I wouldn’t need to do this. Or could it be an error on my end when putting the bike together?

I haven’t rode the bike yet, I’m a little worried to now. I might take it to a local bike shop this weekend and have it looked over

|

6/23/2018 7:49 AM

You may need to have the spokes tightened a bit after a few rides anyway, as the wheels will be machine built and not pre stressed. But, there's a chance it has a little buckle straight from the box, check it's not the tyre first. If there's a little buckle your local shop will get it out and tension your spokes no problem. These are the things a shop does if you buy from a shop wink

|

6/23/2018 4:42 PM

I’ll take it to my local shop, which is about 30 miles away. I went there last year looking for a bike but they don’t carry any bmx bikes. Should I take the tire and tube off to check? I rode around a bit last night and it wasn’t noticeable. Thanks for the reply!

|

6/24/2018 12:50 AM

Spin the wheel, not too fast, and watch the rim, not the tyre. Hold something next to the rim to see if it moves closer and further away. If your rim is straight, your tyre might not quite be seated properly

|

6/24/2018 5:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/24/2018 5:07 PM

I did that last night and the rim isn’t moving at all. So it’s definitely the tire. I kept looking at it from the top and thinking my rim was bent! What a relief lol. I’m really not a fan of these tires in the first place. I’ve already been looking at new ones.

|