Oppo Grinds?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2018 11:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/16/2018 11:11 PM

Hey all, I was inspired by my riding buddy the other day. He wanted to buy some pegs so I said I'd lend him my bike for the day even though he's right foot forward (spins to the left, grinds right) and he almost immediately nailed oppo feebles and double pegs, he was doing them up and down larger ledges by the end of the day.

Basically he made me want to go to 4 pegs. His have arrived now and so I had a go at grinding oppo thinking it would be easy but I just can't get my balance at all! Double pegs are my most comfortable grind, but every time I try and double peg oppo I immediately slide off the ledge. I remember learning grinds on my regular side that leaning into the ledge is what locked me in and helped me get longer grinds, but this seems impossibly strange oppo as my regular forward foot is on the outside of the ledge.

I'm grinding oppo (pegs right hand side) with my regular left foot forward, could this be throwing me off? Didn't seem to be an issue for my friend and I'm guessing swapping feet would make learning spins out a lot harder and a big reason for wanting to learn oppo is to open up more options and get EZ 180's out. I have oppo tyre slides to EZ 180 on curbs just below peg height, didn't think oppo feebles would be so much harder!

Any advice from those who have gone 4 pegs?

|

6/17/2018 2:07 AM

I rode 4 pegs for a bit but I took them off as soon as I tried an opposite Smith and took my foot off, ended up crushing my toes between the ledge and the peg.
Was it Bill who tried your pegs? I know he just got some because I just gave him my old hub guards the other day.

|

Hmmm

6/17/2018 2:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2018 2:32 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I rode 4 pegs for a bit but I took them off as soon as I tried an opposite Smith and took my foot off, ended up crushing my ...more

Nah a friend of mine from Alnwick. Haven't been riding Newcastle long enough to know the locals very well yet.

That sounds awful. First attempt I went at the ledge with loads of confidence, expecting to do it first try, immediately slid off sideways on to my arse and just lay there for a bit assessing my life choices.

|

6/19/2018 1:15 AM

they will feel akward for a bit but it will be better soon.
was the same for me

|

IG: @_almost_crook

6/19/2018 1:46 AM

I always had the fear of catching my back foot on the ledge. So I learnt back foot pedal feebles instead. I've been pegless for over 20 years now XD

Some people find oppo stuff pretty easy, others it feels awkward as hell. I fall into the awkward as hell category. But like anything else, the more you do it, the less awkward it'll feel. Maybe start from scratch by doing stalls or really slow short grinds

|

6/19/2018 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2018 6:06 AM

Do it on low rails first. WAY easier if you ask me-you have a little more room to lean.

I legit started trying them one day on a whim and had oppo double peggers and feebles in like 20 mins.

Same thing happened with crooked grinds.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/11/2018 1:31 AM

Wee update, nailed oppo double pegs now. It's weirder in your head than it is when you actually do them if that makes sense. At first I just slipped off every time, I realised I don't have the same control to lean in and control the lock in like regular. What I did in the end is run up at a much more aggressive angle to force my weight over the bike. Felt weird as fuck, still does but I land them every time now.

Cheers for the advice!

|