Peg guidance

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2018 9:11 PM

Im new to BMX, I’ve gotten pretty comfortable on my bike and I’m interested in riding 4 pegs. I’m wondering If I need to have hub guards if I ride pegs. Thanks.

|

I like bikes...

6/4/2018 12:39 AM

that._.myles wrote:

Im new to BMX, I’ve gotten pretty comfortable on my bike and I’m interested in riding 4 pegs. I’m wondering If I need to have hub guards if I ride pegs. Thanks.

You don't HAVE to have hub guards. I rode for a while with no guards and never had any issues but when I got a new, more expensive, back wheel I started using hub guards because I wanted to protect the hub. You could probably ride without them and not have any problems but I would say that if you can afford them you may as well get them

|

6/8/2018 5:09 PM

that._.myles wrote:

RumHam wrote:

You don't HAVE to have hub guards. I rode for a while with no guards and never had any issues but when I got a new, more expensive, back wheel I started using hub guards because I wanted to protect the hub. You could probably ride without them and not have any problems but I would say that if you can afford them you may as well get them

True

But, if you are unsure here is a little trick.

Look at the chain stays and dropouts. If the chain stay is pretty beat up, get them no question. If not, you can get away with no guards. The reason for looking at that area...if you miss grinds they will be beaten up. And look at the spokes and pegs. If you don't have much damage to the peg about 2-3mm away from the dropout you are landing pretty much perfect each grind. Spokes will show that too, because if you don't land pretty good they will look awful. But, if you have the money to get them...do it just in case you need it.

|

6/18/2018 8:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2018 8:09 AM

Looking at my rear hubguard after around 3 years of use, it's definitely worth getting one for the back at least. It's almost as scratched up and dented as my pegs. They stop you hanging up a bit too. Front probably doesn't matter unless you're precious. Hardly any damage on mine even though I Smith and double peg daily.

If you're going to run pegs on your drive side, get a guard no question. Nobody wants snapped chains and damaged hubs.

|