Re-wrapping seat in leather???

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2013 1:43 PM

any and all search bars have gotten me nowhere. I am looking to take the current covering off of my seat and rewrap it in deerskin. I am comfortable with leather stitching so the pivotal patch is not where i am looking for advice. I want to know the best adhesive to use for adhering the leather to the padding, the best way to stretch the leather, the right stapling method to use, and any other tips that would come in handy. i am looking to do something like this vvvvv thanks in advance for any guidance.
Photo

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

6/6/2013 10:28 AM

bump

|

Instagram
bike check

6/6/2013 2:24 PM

Use a pretty solid glue (not runny) and just stretch it as much as possible. Make sure the staples you use are shallow enough not to come back through the seat when you staple the underside. Sometimes the glue has enough strength to hold it. I've worked in many interior shops and use to plaid my seats all the time and wrap them in vinyl. 3m super 90 worked when decently when I didn't have the high contact thick stuff. Spray it on the seat and skin both then set them aside for a few minutes to tack up before covering the seat. I hope some of this helps and feel free to ask me any questions.

|

6/6/2013 2:32 PM

Eur0trashed wrote:

Use a pretty solid glue (not runny) and just stretch it as much as possible. Make sure the staples you use are shallow enough not to come back through the seat when you staple the underside. Sometimes the glue has enough strength to hold it. I've worked in many interior shops and use to plaid my seats all the time and wrap them in vinyl. 3m super 90 worked when decently when I didn't have the high contact thick stuff. Spray it on the seat and skin both then set them aside for a few minutes to tack up before covering the seat. I hope some of this helps and feel free to ask me any questions.

perfect. exactly what i wanted to know. also, do i use like a regular staple gun or do i need an electric one of some kind? and i will be fine gluing the deerskin to the padding on the seat, like it doesnt need to be on bare plastic? thanks for the help.

|

Instagram
bike check

6/6/2013 2:37 PM

You can glue it to the padding as long as its clean (wipe with alcohol) and dry. An electric or pneumatic stapler would be ideal since the manual ones are bulky and don't have a good amount of force. The big thing is making sure the staples are short enough to not come back through and long enough to hold. If you prep the seat well, use the right glue, and allow it a few minutes to tack up you shouldn't really need the staples to do all the holding. Since you want to use real animal skin you might have to steam it slightly to get the corners to not bunch up but its really all about the finesse.

|

6/6/2013 2:43 PM

Eur0trashed wrote:

You can glue it to the padding as long as its clean (wipe with alcohol) and dry. An electric or pneumatic stapler would be ideal since the manual ones are bulky and don't have a good amount of force. The big thing is making sure the staples are short enough to not come back through and long enough to hold. If you prep the seat well, use the right glue, and allow it a few minutes to tack up you shouldn't really need the staples to do all the holding. Since you want to use real animal skin you might have to steam it slightly to get the corners to not bunch up but its really all about the finesse.

I was planning on matching whatever staples I pull out of the seat to unwrap it so that shouldn't be a problem. What might I steam the skin with? Like an iron or something? And I should be able to get my hands on a pneumatic staple gun.

|

Instagram
bike check

6/6/2013 2:49 PM

ticaleb wrote:

I was planning on matching whatever staples I pull out of the seat to unwrap it so that shouldn't be a problem. What might I steam the skin with? Like an iron or something? And I should be able to get my hands on a pneumatic staple gun.

I've only used industrial ones but anything that can produce steam to loosen it up would work. If you have an iron that steams then it should work. Just don't apply the iron to the skin. Keep it an inch away and move it around. The good thing about it is if you mess it up you can normally just stretch it back out and re-glue it. Sounds like you'll have no problems tackling it though. Post up some pics when you're there.

|

6/6/2013 2:54 PM

Eur0trashed wrote:

I've only used industrial ones but anything that can produce steam to loosen it up would work. If you have an iron that steams then it should work. Just don't apply the iron to the skin. Keep it an inch away and move it around. The good thing about it is if you mess it up you can normally just stretch it back out and re-glue it. Sounds like you'll have no problems tackling it though. Post up some pics when you're there.

For sure. Thanks a lot for the help!

|

Instagram
bike check

6/6/2013 2:57 PM

ticaleb wrote:

For sure. Thanks a lot for the help!

Not a problem man.

|