Rear Bearings Replacement

Related:
Create New Tag

6/26/2019 6:41 PM

So I bought a used Haro 100.1 to get started in BMX and after day two I blew out the rear ball bearings. They all pretty much fell out so I have no idea what size(s) they were. Can anyone tell me how to determine the size(s) for replacing them? Would prefer to do it myself to save time and money from taking to a bike shop.

Thanks.

|

Somers Point, NJ
30 years old
Beginner at best

6/28/2019 1:06 PM

With trying to fix these ball bearings I have heard that I will most likely have the same issue again. Is it because or dirt and moisture? Or is it because of the pounding from jumps, bunny hops etc?

Ultimately I just need this bike to survive until the fall so I can get a new one with Chromoly everything and sealed bearings.

Thanks.
-Bob

|

Somers Point, NJ
30 years old
Beginner at best

6/28/2019 8:07 PM

I’d suggest getting a new axle, you should be able to find one that comes with bearings. And chances are they’ll be the right size. They’re pretty cheap.

But yeah, loose ball hubs never last long. Keep an eye on it. If the inside of the hub is worn, or the axle is bent, or cones are worn, everything will just wear quickly. But with a new axle, you’ll get new cones too

|

6/29/2019 3:55 PM

Thanks for the help. So I replaced the ball bearings and everything is back together. However I still have some play/rattle in the wheel. Assuming this means the hub is worn out?

If so, doesn’t seem worth spending the $100 for a new wheel when I bought the bike for $65. I plan on replacing the bike in the fall for a kink gap XL for $380. What’s anyone’s thoughts on that?

|

Somers Point, NJ
30 years old
Beginner at best

7/14/2019 10:25 PM

Did you adjust the cones till the play was gone?

|