Removing Eclat Onyx Cranks 24mm Spindle

Related:
Create New Tag

2/5/2017 12:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2017 4:28 PM

Hello guys, so I recently bought some Eclat Onyx cranks off a friend and i have a problem. I can remove the right crank just fine but the left one won't budge. I've twisted an 8mm Allen key and my Allen key adapter for my ratchet snapped clean off. Is there a way to remove it? I need to do this because my sprocket won't slide down the whole spindle and it's LHD so I need to remove the left crank to fit my sprocket. Thanks

PS. I created this thread simply because i'm unsure if there is a proper way to do this with these cranks. I've tried standing on a tool to apply pressure to get it off but it doesn't work. I've also applied a lot of WD40.

|

2/5/2017 7:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2017 7:47 PM

Can you see any of the splined section on the left hand side? Try tapping the spindle a millimeter or so through the crank towards the bolt and then try loosening the bolt.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/5/2017 7:57 PM

Have you tried putting a light oil on the spindle while you slide the sprocket on? Should just go straight from one side to the other. Are you able to put the bottom bracket onto the spindle?

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/6/2017 2:01 AM

Yes I can see about 2mm of spline on the left crank. I'll try lightly tapping and I haven't tried any oil to slide the sprocket but that's because it only fits in the splined areas not the actual spindle. Thanks

|

2/6/2017 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2017 8:50 AM

Sounds kinda like a tolerance problem with either sprocket or spindle. If all else fails, you could either tap it down the spindle or file a small amount out of the center. Have you tried putting an 8mm Allen key into the bolt and hitting the end of the Allen key with a hammer while you hold the head firmly in place? Sometimes all it needs is a shock.

I can't imagine why it'd be seized in there that bad, Eclat put loc-tite on the bolts from factory but it's not nearly that strong. I'm starting to think it's either cross threaded or saltwater got in there and seized it. Have to ask, are you sure you're turning the bolt the right way? Have you tried turning it the other way? Sometimes when a bolt won't move in one direction, it will move in the other direction and free the threads.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/6/2017 9:13 AM

Sounds like there weren't enough spacers, so the bolt has bottomed out against the axle and been over tightened. Shock it off, or try pouring a kettle of boiled water on it, or putting it in the freezer over night and try again

|

2/6/2017 10:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/6/2017 11:05 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Sounds like there weren't enough spacers, so the bolt has bottomed out against the axle and been over tightened. Shock it off, or try pouring a kettle of boiled water on it, or putting it in the freezer over night and try again

That's something I hadn't considered, now that I think about it that's far more likely than cross threading or seizing. If that is the case the kettle/freezer trick would almost certainly work.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/6/2017 12:44 PM

Yeah I tried sicking the 8mm Allen key in and hitting it with a hammer... that's how I twisted it. I got a new hex drive for my bigger ratchet so gonna use that and probably hot water as well that could work. One thing I noticed it that if I hit the spindle, the bolt sticks out and when it was tight it wasn't flush with the actual crank arm so there might've been a spacer missing

|

2/6/2017 12:59 PM

This is what it looks like when I hit the spindle and it sticks out of the crank armPhoto

|

2/6/2017 1:50 PM

It's all good now. I took my cranks in my room, out a pillow underneat then and stood on the cranks and my ratchet while bouncing a bit and it came loose. Thanks for the help guys

|