Renaissance Man

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2017 8:48 PM

Hi All,

I'm an oldie that's coming out of retirement after being off of the bike for about 15 years. I promised I'd take my nephew to the skatepark and out of nowhere decided to build up a bike. Man... I thought it would all come back but damn, it's been a rough few days getting the feel back. These old bones are not liking the simple punishment of the basics.

I feel like my bike might be too long? I'm 6' and the frame I'm on is a 21. The last frames I rode back in the day were a Barcode, an STA and a Condor... (I'm sure that dates me) Back then I didn't take the size of the bike into too much consideration

I feel like it's way to tough to pull up for manuals and hops. Am I just being a dumb and need to give it more time?

Any how. I figured it would be fun to note my un-retirement and post along the way with any progress I make.

|

8/12/2017 3:00 PM

There's a lot of things it could be. What bike have you got now? All of those frames came with 21tt as an option. I'm 6' too and can't ride anything shorter than 21 (haven't ridden anything shorter since my 96 dirtbike).
A lot of modern frames have shorter chainstays, making it easier to lift the front, but you sacrifice a bit of height for hops. Bars are generally taller now too, which has a similar affect as shorter chainstays.
It could be as simple as you just need to practice and build up the muscles used for riding again. They're all different muscles to what you'd use doing different activities. Just bear with it. Spend some time doing manuals and trying to hop high and you'll get it all back. But you will ache the following day!

Welcome back to bmx! It's awesome seeing so many other old guys getting back into it!

|

8/12/2017 10:04 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's a lot of things it could be. What bike have you got now? All of those frames came with 21tt as an option. I'm 6' too ...more

Thanks! That's kinda what I was thinking as well. I can't imagine getting on anything shorter. I'm on a Premium frame that I bought years ago, but i just upgraded essentially everything else. 95 percent of the bikes now have no breaks! I couldn't bring myself to that so I stuck with this frame. I'll upload a picture soon.

For now i'm going to say that it's two things... being out of practice and not being nearly the same shape I was in when I was 20.

Thanks for the response!

|