Tailwhips!

Related:
Create New Tag

10/7/2015 5:20 AM

Does anybody have any good tailwhip advice aside from the obvious. I have been stuck in the exact same spot for about a year. I get a good kick, really fast whip and I land over the frame every time, but I just can't seem to catch the pedals. It's starting to drive me nuts, since I've been able to "almost tailwhip" for like a straight year now.

|

If it ain't broke...

10/10/2015 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/10/2015 6:58 AM

One thing that helped me was learning no foot cans off the side I kick. Sounds silly but when I was learning whips I had a ton of trouble, then I started treating the kick more like a no footed can, and used that as a way to help keep my legs together for landing. Also keeping my knees together helped me a TON.

Two-Hour Session 6-5-2010 from Dave Lawrence on Vimeo.

I have a handful of attempts/crappy landing whippers in this and even a couple slow mo-'d. Try uploading a video with some attempts (and slow mo a couple if you can) so we can help easier. (video ends after like 2.5 mins, but keeps going silently for some reason)

I also learned that trying to do a whip to tire tap helped me get my front foot on, which made landing them a lot easier, as I could get that front foot on every time.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/14/2015 8:45 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

One thing that helped me was learning no foot cans off the side I kick. Sounds silly but when I was learning whips I had a ton ...more

Interesting, I'll have to try these things. Thanks man

|

If it ain't broke...

11/6/2015 5:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2015 6:01 PM

did you learn them yet I agree with what dave said irconcially now that I think of it I could get the whip the frame around for years and never catch pedals similar to you but didn't learn to land them until few months of after I learn can cans. Also if you run brakes taping the brake right after you whip the bike around helped me a lot. Seems to make the bike come around much quiker with much less effort.

|

@Instagram - Mkamp1991

jumpings ramps and stuff in the south!...of Canada

11/10/2015 8:03 AM

I haven't got them yet because I actually sprained me ankle and have massive soft tissue damage. Sadly I won't be riding for a couple months. But when I get back on the bike I will be sure to get can cans on lock.

|

If it ain't broke...

11/17/2015 5:47 AM

I had the same problem
There is a simple fix for that
Air
Kick the frame
Lean a bit to the front (till you will get that weird feeling"
And you will land on pedals trust me
But for sure you will hit them with your feet
So just commit and you will get it !

|