The Hop BEFORE/INTO a Barspin

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2013 6:04 PM

All in the title. I just started trying these last week. What's the technique for it? On a regular hop, I pull up the front end and then suck up the rear by tucking my legs up. For doing bars, this doesn't work obviously since my legs aren't straightened out. I try to do the hop into a barspin by pulling up my front end and keeping my rear legs straightened, and then spinning my bars at the peak of the hop, but I can't hop worth a crap this way. I'm not sure if this is the proper technique and maybe I just need to practice that way and get the hop higher, so any advice would help. On a normal hop, I can get around 2.5-3 feet, but with the way I'm currently trying, I'm MAYBE getting six inches.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

9/15/2013 7:09 PM

NOLLIE bars. learn these, they're so much easier

|

This week's Sweet Shoutout goes to: biggybuggy!

9/15/2013 7:12 PM

Gotta pull up then push out with ya arms, just get a good leap on the pull up for height, then push out / level out and sling dat muvafuka.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/15/2013 7:24 PM

crazyclark wrote:

Have you been rimming those farm animals again Clark...?

...you sure do talk a lot of bullshit.

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/15/2013 7:45 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Gotta pull up then push out with ya arms, just get a good leap on the pull up for height, then push out / level out and sling dat muvafuka.

Ok, so I just do it like a regular hop and then push out my arms? If I'm following you correctly, the theory sounds legit: it should make me lean back and straighten out my legs when the hop is leveled out. I'll have to test those waters tomorrow. Thanks Soul!!

|

Winter is over-rated

9/15/2013 7:52 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Madtown608 wrote:

Ok, so I just do it like a regular hop and then push out my arms? If I'm following you correctly, the theory sounds legit: it should make me lean back and straighten out my legs when the hop is leveled out. I'll have to test those waters tomorrow. Thanks Soul!!

No worries, try getting a feel for them first by just practicing the hop part with legs ya straight and pinch ya knees together a bit, then when your comfortable start throwing em. Try em on grass first aswell cuz your bound to go off the back and land on ya ass a few times, shin & knee pads aswell if you got em.

Good luck

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/15/2013 7:57 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Madtown608 wrote:

Oh I forgot to say, one thing that helped me was, go to youtube and type in slow motion hop bars. You'll see what I mean mate.

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/15/2013 8:04 PM

^^I've got the shin guards and knee pads and they've definitely saved my ass! I can land the bitches off a curb, pulling up manual style lol, but not off a hop yet. I gotta get used to it not feeling so awkward and take your advice. Thanks again and I'll post when I start getting them!

|

Winter is over-rated

9/15/2013 8:06 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Oh I forgot to say, one thing that helped me was, go to youtube and type in slow motion hop bars. You'll see what I mean mate.

Found a couple of good ones and saved them to my playlist. I see what you're saying.

|

Winter is over-rated

9/15/2013 8:29 PM

crazyclark wrote:

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Have you been rimming those farm animals again Clark...?

...you sure do talk a lot of bullshit.

oh i get it! farm animals...bullshit. but seirously, i've only been rimming my one and only boyfriend. smile

and how am i speaking bullshit? nollie bars are actually a LOT easier

|

9/16/2013 3:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2013 3:32 AM

How are they easier?

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/16/2013 4:11 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

How are they easier?

well, for one, you don't have to worry about the bars hitting your knees. it's also in the motion, it just creates a smoother motion. and most people can nollie higher than they can hop.
if i were you, i'd stop talking. you're embarsassing yourself

|

9/16/2013 5:25 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

How are they easier?

crazyclark wrote:

well, for one, you don't have to worry about the bars hitting your knees. it's also in the motion, it just creates a smoother motion. and most people can nollie higher than they can hop.

Kill yourself homo.

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/16/2013 5:56 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

How are they easier?

crazyclark wrote:

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Kill yourself homo.

why? cuz im right and you're wrong?

|

9/16/2013 6:19 PM

Wrong about what?

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/16/2013 6:44 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Wrong about what?

wrong about nollie bars being harder than hop bars? what else might i be referring to?

|

9/16/2013 7:18 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Wrong about what?

crazyclark wrote:

wrong about nollie bars being harder than hop bars? what else might i be referring to?

Wrong about what?

|

dangerous thing.
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/19/2013 12:40 AM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Wrong about what?

crazyclark wrote:

fuck your a joke mate.

|

9/23/2013 11:43 AM

crazyclark wrote:

you think? I've never really tried to learn them.

|

9/23/2013 11:49 AM

Practice just hopping and pinching your knees in the air right before/during the peak of your hop. This will give you a feel of when you'll be throwing the bars. Also be sure to keep your bike slightly boned-out in the air. I find that when the bike is level, the bars can get away from you easier. Once you feel like you've got the hop dialed (and can sense when you should throw the bars) it's all about committing. Watch the grips as they spin around and grab back on as soon as possible (don't wait for them to rotate all the way around. Grab the bars with your non-throwing hand once they're about 270 degrees through the rotation.

|

9/23/2013 2:29 PM

zachkrejmas wrote:

Practice just hopping and pinching your knees in the air right before/during the peak of your hop. This will give you a feel of when you'll be throwing the bars. Also be sure to keep your bike slightly boned-out in the air. I find that when the bike is level, the bars can get away from you easier. Once you feel like you've got the hop dialed (and can sense when you should throw the bars) it's all about committing. Watch the grips as they spin around and grab back on as soon as possible (don't wait for them to rotate all the way around. Grab the bars with your non-throwing hand once they're about 270 degrees through the rotation.

Thanks Zach, that helps. I've been starting to get them here and there. I just practice the "manual" bars a ton and tried committing the way everything felt to muscle memory. Then when I try my hops, I throw them when my body is relatively in the same position, just obviously my rear tire is in the air. I just gotta really work on getting these higher and dialed.

|

Winter is over-rated

9/25/2013 9:26 PM

crazyclark wrote:

zachkrejmas wrote:

you think? I've never really tried to learn them.

i KNOW. go learn em zach! fun and easy!

|

10/16/2013 11:52 PM

I recorded going through the process of learning opposite bars, and in the video I'll explain your body and foot placement, which is critical.
|