Tight and Loose chain issue

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2011 4:59 PM

So I've had this on going issue with my 2011 kink launch where my chain at one point on my chain/sprocket rotation is extremely tight and 180 degrees later its extremely loose. I've taken everything apart except the spindle and bottom bracket to see what's up but I can't figure it out and its frustrated me to the point where I want to destroy my bike. I don't know whether its a bent spindle if that's even possible, or something with the teeth on the sprockets (even thought they're all in tact). The other day the chain just snapped off because of the dramatic transition from loose to tight chain. If anyone can help me, I would be extremely grateful.

|

JohnnYD.

6/16/2011 7:53 PM

Ovalized sprocket. Spin the cranks to find the tight spot then hit the portion of the sprocket thats closest to the front end of the bike. One or two solid hits should fix it. Then spin the cranks again and hit the sprocket if you see another tight spot. Hope this helped

|

6/17/2011 9:00 AM

C@RT3R wrote:

Ovalized sprocket. Spin the cranks to find the tight spot then hit the portion of the sprocket thats closest to the front end of the bike. One or two solid hits should fix it. Then spin the cranks again and hit the sprocket if you see another tight spot. Hope this helped

Thanks for the advice should i use a hammer or like a rubber mallet?

|

JohnnYD.

6/17/2011 11:33 AM

Rubber mallet.

|

6/17/2011 12:01 PM

buy a new sprocket and chain

|

REFS: Drnwag irideafly sunday.bmx21 8=D xlilkillaluc15x Dennis916 Blake El Gingero mattjmuldoon@hotmail.com netty speghetti kr00253 bstick Dudeisdrumer109

pcoco ticaleb

6/18/2011 12:19 AM

This same thing happened to me and i was like wtf? lol turned out i forget to put on the sprocket adapter thing. So make sure you go that in there.

|

Swoop it motherfuckas

6/19/2011 12:56 PM

Austin_Read wrote:

This same thing happened to me and i was like wtf? lol turned out i forget to put on the sprocket adapter thing. So make sure you go that in there.

sprocket adapter thing? are you talking about the screw that connects the crank to the sprocket?

|

JohnnYD.

6/19/2011 2:57 PM

Rotate your cranks to the loose spot and tighten it there. Then it should be tight all around, but tighter in one spot.

|

Noise Not Music!

Photo of the day 6/23/11

6/19/2011 6:07 PM

Austin_Read wrote:

the hat washer that makes the sprocket fit on the spindle. been there, and had that exact same problem.

|

6/26/2011 2:16 PM

it could also be chain alignment is off

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

6/27/2011 8:55 AM

some sproket doesn't have the same 19mm or 20mm spindle size. .
some 19mm are tight or some are loose. .on the loose part i used a coke in can ive cut it into the size of my sproket to fit it. . .
thats why ur chain have tight/loosen part. .

sproket adapter are ring type. .if ur using 19mm spndle and your sproket is for 22mm or 20mm,you have to use that sproket adapter. .

ridesafe^_^

|

6/27/2011 7:10 PM

bmx4orlife wrote:

it could also be chain alignment is off

yes true.

|

8/4/2017 6:48 PM

C@RT3R wrote:

Where on the sprocket are hit cause I've been having this problem with a mongoose L20 Legion

|

9/6/2017 4:40 PM

C@RT3R wrote:

Ryan_Siebenaler wrote:

Where on the sprocket are hit cause I've been having this problem with a mongoose L20 Legion

Something else, whoever has a similar problem, can try putting a small washer between the sprocket and crank arm. Sometimes the welds could be off where the screw threads in, or maybe something is just not to spec. It can help sometimes, probably wont make the issue go away completely but as I said, it can help.

|

11/9/2017 7:14 PM

I have bought sprockets before that weren't to spec and the hat washer fit in all sideways and the sprocket was crooked because of that.

|

11/16/2017 10:10 AM

Its a very common problem. Almost no sprocket is 100% true and causes this issue. Of coarse some of the other issues already mentioned happen too.

C@RT3R- I am intrigued about the bang the front of the sprocket with a mallet solution. Could you elaborate? This is new to me and sound fun, ha ha.

|