Tips for a noobie?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/8/2014 9:51 AM

Yo!

I've had my BMX (WTP Reason) for a while, and have always following riding, but never put any effort into actually doing. Recently, though, i've had the urge to get into properly.

Do you have any tips/suggestions on starting out? I'll be riding street, because there are no parks near me and, well, it's cooler.

In what order do you suggest i learn/practice things? Should i master a certain thing before trying another? etc etc

I just want to make this as easy as possible for myself.. I'll be riding alone as i have no friends that are into BMX, so i want to sort of have a grasp on what i'm doing before i start seeing as i'll have nobody with me to watch/copy and get live tips from.

Thanks in advance!

|

1/8/2014 11:43 AM

Have fun and just do what you want. Tricks come with bike control and when you keep riding constantly you will progress some time, Just be patient.

|

Instagram: @bjoernkrg

1/10/2014 10:31 AM

Cheers!

First day went, well, i don't know. Not fantastically tongue I can now bunny hop higher than i used to, but it's still not as high as i'd like (my friend suggested being able to hop bar height is generally good enough for most things).

I even failed miserably at manualling. I figure i just need a hell of a lot more practicing.

I'm trying to set targets, in hope that it'll help me progress/learn faster.

|

1/10/2014 4:32 PM

ride with other folks. it IS all about bike control. the more u ride the more control u gain even if ur just messing around.

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

1/10/2014 5:11 PM

I'd love to but there's literally nobody i can ride with at the minute. Not a single person i know (that lives near me) rides or wants to ride. I have friends outside the city, but they're too far away to ride with regularly.

I'm totally dedicated to practicing now, and riding as often as possible.. It's just so demotivating having to do it on your own sad But i'm determined to be good enough to get a place in the half pipe at Boardmasters when i'm in Newquay this year.. So i'm definitely gonna put in work.

I'm gonna try hit up some of the local parks to see if i can tag along with any other riders that might be sessioning there.

|

1/10/2014 5:16 PM

newquay?? ima have to google that place.lol. right on keep it up

|

HEAVY bikes METAL music

1/10/2014 5:31 PM

Hah, sorry, it's a place in Cornwall. I holiday there every year. Boardmasters is a surfing event that they host there, but they have a massive, well, what i can only call a party around it. There's a music festival for two nights at the end. But during the days that it's on there's a half pipe that they have comps on for skateboarding and BMX, and a few pros do some stuff there too. It's pretty fun. Had some mad competition last year.

|

1/11/2014 8:42 PM

just try hopping up curbs and maybe lil stair sets (like 2-3 stairs) and practice fakies a lil bit

and maybe go to the closest park to find other riders that would come to ride with you... also I found learning stuff in a park helped me on the street because some of parks layouts make it easier to learn shit

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/12/2014 6:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2014 6:54 AM

Yeah, i was looking around for local parks. We have a couple of crappy outdoor ones, and a couple of indoor ones but i haven't got the money to pay for the indoor ones at the minute. I dunno if they'll be occupied much during the winter though, but i am kind of desperate to find some people to ride with.

I think about trying to hop up stuff, but when i get near it get anxious about missing it or landing dodgy and don't go for it tongue I don't wanna fuck up my bike or get another puncture so soon. I still can't hop as high as necessary, so i'm a bit wary about trying things before i just get a stand-alone hop down.

|

1/12/2014 1:05 PM

Zhuxiong wrote:

Yeah, i was looking around for local parks. We have a couple of crappy outdoor ones, and a couple of indoor ones but i haven't got the money to pay for the indoor ones at the minute. I dunno if they'll be occupied much during the winter though, but i am kind of desperate to find some people to ride with.

I think about trying to hop up stuff, but when i get near it get anxious about missing it or landing dodgy and don't go for it tongue I don't wanna fuck up my bike or get another puncture so soon. I still can't hop as high as necessary, so i'm a bit wary about trying things before i just get a stand-alone hop down.

get some stans no flats to put in your tubes, that gets rid of the popped tire worries... and you probably can do it, just go to curbs at an angle and hop up dem bitches, and find lil ledges to jump off and stuff

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/12/2014 3:25 PM

Well, riding around i've found a few spots that i COULD session if i was good, so i might go back there and have a go at some stuff anyway.

I think once i get my bunnyhops to a level that isn't pathetic, i'll be good to go tongue

|

1/15/2014 4:51 AM

For 180 turn your head. For bunny hops, 180, 360 front wheel have to go first.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

1/15/2014 4:44 PM

I know how it's SUPPOSED to go tongue I'm just a noob at the minute... I know exactly what i should be doing and how i should be doing it, it just doesn't come off that way. I either can't pull my front up far enough, or it doesn't come up far enough before my back wheel comes up, or i don't know... I also seem to land pretty hard when i just bunnyhop too.

Also, when i try to manual, i tend to get a bit wobbly/unbalanced and the bike either starts just leaning or turning completely. Is that just something i need to practice to keep straight or am i doing something wrong?

|

2/1/2014 4:53 AM

In footjam tailwhips you should be looking your front tire before throwing your frame around, and you should follow your pedals with your eyes while the frame is going around.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx