Turndowns

Related:
Create New Tag

2/2/2018 5:23 AM

Hellllp.

I’ve always wanted to learn turndowns, but I can’t even get them close. Not sure if I’m even turning the right way?

I think it’s one of best looking tricks in BMX... when done right.

This is an example of the complete shite that happens when I attempt it. Please don’t laugh, although I would so you are forgiven laughing

Photo

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/2/2018 5:57 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Hellllp.

I’ve always wanted to learn turndowns, but I can’t even get them close. Not sure if I’m even turning the right way?

I think it’s one of best looking tricks in BMX... when done right.

This is an example of the complete shite that happens when I attempt it. Please don’t laugh, although I would so you are forgiven laughing

Photo

Haha I know that feeling mate, you're right foot forward aren't you? If so then you wanna kick out to your left (which it looks like you're doing on the photo?) I'm not really very close to getting them but there's two things I've found that have helped me so far. Firstly I would definitely suggest trying them whilst lying on your back to get used to the movements. You basically want to straighten out your back (left?) leg as much as you can kind of to the side and forward whilst turning your bars into your hip.

It also helps if you start off the movement by doing a bit of a whip/kickout into it too. Sorry this isn't very helpful haha

|

2/2/2018 6:38 AM

Thanks man, doing it on your back is actually a great shout! I mean I will look like an idiot, but if it helps me learn them then I am game.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/2/2018 6:48 AM

Just by looking at the photo it seems you might need to straighten your legs and back out a bit. Most photos I see people are almost at a 90º bend at the hip. Check it out:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/3/2018 2:29 PM

What you want to do, is pencil as much as you can and kinda turn at the hips as the bars turn. They're really not that hard, most people just think they're going to get tangled up or not get it back in time which doesn't really happen unless you freak out mid-trick.

I learned them on flat, not something I'd recommend but it really teaches you the value of committing to the trick.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/7/2018 11:31 PM

They're easier over a hip. You need to kick out the back end, keep the front end up and lean a bit forward to keep balanced. Then push your legs straight and forward (which is the hardest part :/) then turn your bars into it. Until you get them dialled you feel like you need loads of time in the air

|