Wanna fix a Bad Habit when Bunny Hopping

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2017 9:56 PM

Whenever I bunny hop my front wheel always lands first. I'm having trouble correcting myself. I can clear 2ft easy, but anything taller is a crapshoot. Could it be my height? I'm 6' 2" and my frame is 21". Here's a clip of what I'm talking about.

">

|

11/29/2017 10:46 PM

Keep your weight further back, and level the bike out before you land by straightening your legs a bit

|

11/29/2017 11:08 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Keep your weight further back, and level the bike out before you land by straightening your legs a bit

Okay, thanks! I'll try it. I hope I don't lose too much height since I got used to landing this way.

|

11/30/2017 3:57 PM

Yep. Do exactly what Steve sold and you'll be fine... and for losing height, I don't think you will lose hieght once you get used to hoping the proper way... if any thing your hops will get higher I would think...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/4/2017 9:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2017 9:05 PM

Looks like you are pushing the bars down, instead of forward. Pull up, then push forward like you are bench-pressing the bars. Parallel with the ground.

Looks like you are pulling up then pushing the bars straight down, like pumping a roller.

|

12/6/2017 8:09 AM

In looking at your video, I agree that it seems like your weight isn't positioned back enough & as you crest your hop, your weight positioning is causing your front to drop as you bring the rear up. This "weight distribution" could be exaggerated by your frame size & bike setup but I honestly think it is more about mechanics than the bike.

Photo

|

12/6/2017 8:23 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

In looking at your video, I agree that it seems like your weight isn't positioned back enough & as you crest your hop, ...more

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, it looks like you guys are right about weight distribution. I've been trying to fix it and I notice I land good ones when I'm further back like you guys are saying. It feels a little weird for me, but I'm trying to make it consistent.

|

12/6/2017 9:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2017 9:09 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

In looking at your video, I agree that it seems like your weight isn't positioned back enough & as you crest your hop, ...more

invaderyoyo wrote:

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, it looks like you guys are right about weight distribution. I've been trying to fix it and I ...more

If you happen to look at my "profile pic" of my bunny hop, you can see a difference in body positioning. You can see my elbows are further back, my head isn't as far forward (your head seems to be forehead at cross bar-ish), and my rear is further back over my rear wheel (yours seems to be just aft of the seat at the apex of your hop). I think the 4th pic from the right is where you can really see what's causing your front end to drop.

|

12/6/2017 5:23 PM

Photo

Now you can see side by side... you can see how Mishinn_Control has his butt over his rear tire and his knees are by his seat... You have your butt over your toptube and seat area and your knees are really far forward as well... So just try to get you position/form to look more like Mishinn_Controls...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/6/2017 11:44 PM

You're both kind of doing them wrong to be honest. At the height of your hop, your arms should be straight, with your ass right over the back wheel
Photo

|

12/8/2017 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2017 10:03 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're both kind of doing them wrong to be honest. At the height of your hop, your arms should be straight, with your ass ...more

Well, that all depends on how you hop & also at what point you take a picture. In my photo I obviously didn't take the pic, nor was I able to get a video of it at the time (that would have been very cumbersome for the time). You pic looks like you are actually jumping off that ramp, not bunny hopping. Plus, if I were maxed out in my hop, I might have been more stretched out. Lastly, if you are happy with what you are doing, there is no "wrong" way to do it.

|

12/11/2017 11:24 PM

I'm hopping from the top of a small flat bank. But, whatever. I can get screen grabs of me hopping other stuff in the same way. It's good form, and you can get higher

|

2/14/2018 11:33 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You're both kind of doing them wrong to be honest. At the height of your hop, your arms should be straight, with your ass ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, that all depends on how you hop & also at what point you take a picture. In my photo I obviously didn't take the ...more

155mm cranks for president!

|

2/19/2018 12:23 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I think that the top tube being that short might make extending the arms fully a bad idea

|

Hmmm

2/20/2018 10:25 AM

Been trying to fix it and I'm starting to think it's pretty ingrained into me. Unfortunately, I lose some height when I land with both tires. I think I just need to put more time into it, but I've been on a short supply of that lately. I'll keep at it. I really appreciate your guys' advice.

|

2/26/2018 5:32 PM

Hop higher and straighten out. Lean Back.

|

2/28/2018 3:21 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

I think that the top tube being that short might make extending the arms fully a bad idea

Nah, won't make a difference. If you're used to the bike it doesn't matter. It'll just be more dipped, but keeping your weight central will counter that (ass further back). Plenty of street guys prefer a short toptube and still hop high and balanced

|

3/10/2018 2:14 AM

I used to do The same thing but i found out that if u push your pedals down and to The side if u understand what im saying i know im shitty at explaning

|

Street yes please

3/20/2018 10:38 AM

Might be from concentrating on bunny hopping high instead of doing them low with better form to where you land them with the bike level. Try and focus on bunny hopping like Steve said but don't worry about how high just yet.

|