What TO lube/NOT to lube?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2019 5:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2019 5:48 AM

Hey guys, so last summer around July I got my first bike. It’s an eastern talisman 2018. I rode it all last year without doing any maintenance except for taking the breaks off and sanding the paint off of where the bars and stem. Long story short I had to move my back wheel (I shifted it doing shitty 180’s?) which I then decided to take the whole bike apart clean and regrease/lube everything I could. Right now it is in every little bolt and piece possible. The problem is I’m not sure what shouldn’t be lubed and what can’t. Be specific please cause like I said I have a lot of bolts. Also at the moment I only have this stuff called “white lightning crystal clean 100% bike grease” White Lightning Crystal Grease Biodegradable, Non-Toxic Grease Tube Tub (3.5-Ounce) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UAPX22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9ODSCbB3QZA6X so if I need something other than this please specify. I’ll get a link for it so it’s easier. Thanks!

Also, different subject but I have my BB completely exposed so it’s just the bearings and suck but I can’t get the spindle out (the round tube with notches on it for cranks not sure if it’s actually called the spindle). I want to do crankflips and no matter how loose my chain is, even with my hands the pedals will only make a half to 3/4 rotation so crankflips are impossible. I was hoping if I get this out I may find the problem and be able to do crankflips?

|

4/13/2019 11:16 AM

All threads(bolts, pedal threads, axles, etc.), crank spindle splines, the seatpost, headset cups, should all be lubed. The chain takes a different kind of lubricant: I'd recommend MucOff dry lube, if you're in a relatively dry area.

The spindle is probably just seized into the tube spacer. The BB looks to be a standard sealed Mid so you can hammer the spindle out. It may knock a bearing out if it's really seized, at which point, you can take a blowtorch to the tube spacer and then hammer the spindle out in a vise(tighten until the jaws are just rubbing the spindle, so the end of the tube spacer is on top of the vise jaws).

If you have any problems, post up in "General BMX Talk". It's a lot busier than this section and you'll likely get a much quicker answer.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/3/2019 12:12 PM

Put grease on anything metal to metal contact, except bars and dropouts.

|