bending a warped sprocket back to normal?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/28/2014 2:27 PM

Is this possible? My 25t sprocket is lightly bent, just enough that, if i run the chain tension that i like, it makes a grinding noise... so now i have to ride w/ a loose chain, or buy a new sprocket - or unbend this one.

I have a bench-mounted vice, pretty much any tool you can think of, i'm just not sure how to approach this cuz i think i may do more harm than good w/o knowing what i'm doing. I should probably buy a new sprocket cuz i want a stronger gear ratio anyways but $ is too low at the moment, so for now i'm riding a chain that's less.than.tight. :|

|

9/29/2014 10:51 AM

Get a Sunday Saber tooth for 30$ or a primo solid one for 25$

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/29/2014 11:24 AM

I can get guarded ones for $50 so will be getting one of those (knox, million dollar, magnum, etc) when I can but wanted to try bending it back in the meanwhile

|

9/30/2014 10:03 AM

you can give it a go... idk if itll work. I know people that have pounded em back to "normal" or as close as they can, just because they were broke and wanted ot keep riding until they could get something

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

10/15/2014 6:15 PM

It probably wouldnt be that hard to bend back, just make sure you heat it up a bit first or you could snap it, from memory sprockets are generally pretty brittle

|

10/15/2014 10:29 PM

If its aluminum you can simply use a malet and lightly hit it tell its straight to the eye..

Some will say to put it into 2 blocks of wood and tighten it in a vice
So whatever way floats your boat. Running a bent sprocket will cause added wear to your driver over time so I recommend a new one

|

Bike Shop Employed
5107766739 is my #

10/16/2014 10:27 AM

BostersBMX wrote:

If its aluminum you can simply use a malet and lightly hit it tell its straight to the eye..

Some will say to put it into 2 ...more

yeahhh this. its just a temp fix until you have money for a new one

like I said, to keep ridign until you can get something.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "