fix it myself vs going to a repair shop

Related:
Create New Tag

9/5/2018 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/5/2018 9:43 PM

My bike has not been cleaned in over 9 years. It is very dirty, the chain is super rough, it makes loud noises, and the front tire rattles.There are probably more problems that i can't see. my question is should i fix and clean it my self or should i go to a repair shop since i suck at working on my bike.

|

9/6/2018 8:59 PM

You really should let the shop take care of he bike if it needs some serious work done.

|

9/7/2018 12:18 PM

If it's not been cleaned in that time it may need some parts replaced. I'd always suggest taking it to a shop as they'll offer some kind of guarantee on the work they've done. But it might get expensive, so it depends if the bike is worth dropping that money on, or if you'd be better buying something else.

|

9/12/2018 2:09 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If it's not been cleaned in that time it may need some parts replaced. I'd always suggest taking it to a shop as they'll offer ...more

He is right the shop can get expensive quick and if the bike is that old it might not be worth taking it in. If you're handy with bikes and have the time to clean and grease everything you could do it yourself.

|

9/12/2018 3:03 PM

If that's really how bad your bike is, then I'm cringing for your bike...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/3/2018 8:49 AM

I suggest you do all the easy things first, like cleaning the bike and so on. My local bike shop charges extra when you bring them a dirty bike (cleaning costs).

|