fork offset?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2011 1:47 PM

Can anyone explain to me what fork offset is? So confused...

|

1/13/2011 8:26 AM

Fork offset is basically the distance the axle sits from an imaginary line drawn based on the angle of the headtube. This is a road bike...but it does the job...
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Essentially, more offset=slower steering, more stable ride. Less offset=more responsive steering, less stable ride. You will see zero offset forks out there which are used mostly for flatland because the flatlanders need the bike to respond the same whether the bars are facing forward or backwards.

Here's a zero offset fork:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Compared to a standard offset fork in which the offset (or "rake") is accomplished by welding forward facing dropouts to hold the axle, rather than integrating the dropouts straight into the fork as pictured above:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

And here are the Odyssey Directors, which are still an offset fork, even though a quick glance might make you think otherwise. Instead of the offset being accomplished at the axle, it is created because the fork legs are angled forward from the headtube:
Photo

I hope that makes sense.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/13/2011 9:03 AM

tibug wrote:

Fork offset is basically the distance the axle sits from an imaginary line drawn based on the angle of the headtube. This is a road bike...but it does the job...
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Essentially, more offset=slower steering, more stable ride. Less offset=more responsive steering, less stable ride. You will see zero offset forks out there which are used mostly for flatland because the flatlanders need the bike to respond the same whether the bars are facing forward or backwards.

Here's a zero offset fork:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Compared to a standard offset fork in which the offset (or "rake") is accomplished by welding forward facing dropouts to hold the axle, rather than integrating the dropouts straight into the fork as pictured above:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

And here are the Odyssey Directors, which are still an offset fork, even though a quick glance might make you think otherwise. Instead of the offset being accomplished at the axle, it is created because the fork legs are angled forward from the headtube:
Photo

I hope that makes sense.

Man, you really do help everybody here out. Next time I have questions, I'm just going to come to you.

|

"I've had the 2 greatest corn dogs of my life, and I owe it all to BMX."

1/13/2011 10:26 AM

very well explained bro

|

REFS: Drnwag irideafly sunday.bmx21 8=D xlilkillaluc15x Dennis916 Blake El Gingero mattjmuldoon@hotmail.com netty speghetti kr00253 bstick Dudeisdrumer109

pcoco ticaleb

1/13/2011 10:39 AM

geoffb wrote:

Man, you really do help everybody here out. Next time I have questions, I'm just going to come to you.

Well I appreciate the praise, but it's not like I'm all-knowing. I know quite a bit of maintenance/tech, but if you have a question about doing tailwhips, barspins, or backflips, I'm definitely not the guy to ask. Besides that, there are guys on this forum who know just as much or more about maintenance/tech than I. Take Dave Lawrence. If there was any one guy that I would expect a good answer from on ANY question, it's Dave.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

1/13/2011 10:59 AM

That makes so much sense! Now I can order forks without having to guess what offset is. Thanks man!

|