hop barspin help

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2010 8:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2010 8:45 PM

just a quick question, when i throw bars i catch with my left hand perfect but i cant put my right hand on. it seems like my hand is just floating away or somthing. does this happen to anyone else besides me?

|

12/24/2010 9:45 PM

Me tooo,):

|

Jake Compau

12/24/2010 9:57 PM

Happens a lot. One way to correct it is to make sure you're following your bars all the way with your right hand. Try learning bus-drivers, like keeping your right hand touching the grip all the way.

I do kind of a mix of barspin and busdriver. Watch Garrett Reynolds. He does them this way too. His hand is on the bar halfway around, like a one handed x-up and then letting it continue on around.

Another problem could be that your body is too far back on the bike and you're having to reach too far to catch the bars. Try keeping the front end higher and leaning further forward with your body.

|

12/25/2010 12:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2010 12:25 AM

wow didnt even see this and didnt even know you were on here colley i actually just asked a guy from little rock if he knew you. sorry to jump off subject here

|

12/26/2010 1:48 AM

Just work on them by standing over your bike with your feet on the ground. When you throw the bars, try to do a one-handed x-up and then let them go all the way around. Catch with your free hand, but also make sure your throw hand is following the bars all the way around or you'll end up missing the grip with that hand. As you stand over the bike, pull the front end up, throw, and catch before the wheel hits the ground. This will teach you to pull up and throw at the same time. Just spend a day doing like a hundred in a row, and you'll be amazed how consistent you'll get. Learn them both ways.

Then when you start putting them in bunnyhops, you'll be comfortable throwing and you know you can catch them. Just stay calm and do it the exact same way you're used to.

Also, watch a video and pause it when someone throws the bars. Try to get a good side view. Garrett Reynolds, Aaron Ross, anybody who's good at them. Now I'm gonna tell you some angles to look for. These helped me a lot when I figured them out.

Look at their front foot. I bet the heel is pointed down, and the flat bottom of their foot will be roughly parallel with the down tube of the bike. Now look at their back foot. The toe will be pointed down, and the flat bottom of their foot will be at 90 degrees of their front foot. Their feet form a downward triangle. Having your feet at 90 degrees like this keeps forward pressure on your front pedal and backward pressure on the back pedal.

People will tell you to pinch your knees together even if you don't have a seat, and that's why. It puts your feet in that position. Work on getting your feet like that in regular bunnyhops first, and try to push forward and backward against your pedals.

Barspins are pretty quick, so you don't need the pressure to be there very long, just long enough to get the bars around and catch them.

Also, when you have the video paused, look at their back. It should be parallel with the top tube of the bike. If you aren't at that angle, you're probably too far back and you'll have trouble catching the bars.

|

12/26/2010 2:34 PM

Colley Bailey wrote:

Just work on them by standing over your bike with your feet on the ground. When you throw the bars, try to do a one-handed x-up and then let them go all the way around. Catch with your free hand, but also make sure your throw hand is following the bars all the way around or you'll end up missing the grip with that hand. As you stand over the bike, pull the front end up, throw, and catch before the wheel hits the ground. This will teach you to pull up and throw at the same time. Just spend a day doing like a hundred in a row, and you'll be amazed how consistent you'll get. Learn them both ways.

Then when you start putting them in bunnyhops, you'll be comfortable throwing and you know you can catch them. Just stay calm and do it the exact same way you're used to.

Also, watch a video and pause it when someone throws the bars. Try to get a good side view. Garrett Reynolds, Aaron Ross, anybody who's good at them. Now I'm gonna tell you some angles to look for. These helped me a lot when I figured them out.

Look at their front foot. I bet the heel is pointed down, and the flat bottom of their foot will be roughly parallel with the down tube of the bike. Now look at their back foot. The toe will be pointed down, and the flat bottom of their foot will be at 90 degrees of their front foot. Their feet form a downward triangle. Having your feet at 90 degrees like this keeps forward pressure on your front pedal and backward pressure on the back pedal.

People will tell you to pinch your knees together even if you don't have a seat, and that's why. It puts your feet in that position. Work on getting your feet like that in regular bunnyhops first, and try to push forward and backward against your pedals.

Barspins are pretty quick, so you don't need the pressure to be there very long, just long enough to get the bars around and catch them.

Also, when you have the video paused, look at their back. It should be parallel with the top tube of the bike. If you aren't at that angle, you're probably too far back and you'll have trouble catching the bars.

thank you for your advice!

|

12/31/2010 9:23 PM

Dang that's hella good advice! Thank you!

|

Jake Compau

12/31/2010 11:55 PM

Colley Bailey wrote:

wow great advice i'm literally copying and pasting this to read it later and try it

|

1/1/2011 4:13 AM

Yeah, I hope it helps. Update this thread on your progress!

For me, there are three keys to focus on:
1. Following through the rotation with your throwing hand.
2. Keeping your front heel down to form the 90 degree foot position.
3. Leaning forward with your body (back parallel to top tube) enough to keep you over the bars and balanced on the bike..

Video yourself and see which of those things you aren't doing, and then focus on fixing them one at a time.

|