how to fakie properly?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2018 4:48 PM

well as you read in the title im having trouble doing fakies, i can balance properly its just when i try to get out of them i seem to lose balance right then and there. any suggestions?

|

3/29/2018 12:51 PM

merk20 wrote:

well as you read in the title im having trouble doing fakies, i can balance properly its just when i try to get out of them i ...more

I have the same problem. I really cannot for the life of me get the motion to bring the front of the bike around after rolling backwards.

My solution has been to practice. Then practice. Then more and more practice.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/30/2018 8:41 AM

They're a lot easier going fast. Instead of concentrating on the fakie, try to turn after just a crank backwards. Turn the bars slightly the opposite direction to the way you want to turn, that will make the bike start to turn the way you want it to. Then just stop pedalling backwards and use pedal pressure to lift the front end, and continue moving your body weight round. It's the initial turn of the bars that gives you momentum, along with starting to lean into it.
Another thing that can help is to do them from a 180 (rather than bank/quarter), and over rotate it slightly. As soon as you land, turn your bars and do half a crank backwards. Then pedal pressure and Bob's your uncle

|

3/30/2018 8:45 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

They're a lot easier going fast. Instead of concentrating on the fakie, try to turn after just a crank backwards. Turn the ...more

Dude, I think you just explained what I'm having trouble with. It's the sequence of motions that gets me around to riding properly that I just can't get to click in.

Hatebike is finally dialed, so this weekend I'm gonna really try to finally lock these in.

|

3/30/2018 12:55 PM

Most people screw up because they subconsciously try to slow down the bike when turning it around. You dont want to do anything to change the bikes backward momentum. Dont lock the pedals. Leg/crank position is important so the faster you back pedal the more feel you get for when to pull.

I think it's easier to pull the bars 90° into a slider first, it's all about dipping out on the back wheel. Might as well remove the front wheel from the equation and put it into a slider then focus on dipping out

|

In midschool bike rides you.

3/30/2018 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 1:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

They're a lot easier going fast. Instead of concentrating on the fakie, try to turn after just a crank backwards. Turn the ...more

Yeah do this, and believe it or not, going faster DOES actually make it ALOT easier

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/2/2018 8:56 AM

Ok - Update

Going faster definitely does help. I got a lot more confidence with my 180's this weekend, and am starting to feel super comfortable just rolling backwards after.

I've started the first element of dipping out of it which is flicking my bars the opposite way and then the way I want to turn and start to rotate.

Basically, all I need to do now is to time exactly how to yank up and around and I should be much closer. I'm slowly making progress, but I'm reeeeeeaallly looking forward to that moment I pull it off for the first time. It's going to open up so many possibilities.

|

4/2/2018 12:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 12:06 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Ok - Update

Going faster definitely does help. I got a lot more confidence with my 180's this weekend, and am starting to ...more

It's probably better for you to pick up the front wheel and only have to turn the bars one way; that's basically the start of a half-cab. To turn like that, you just swing your arse whichever way you want to turn. You might even learn fakie mannys from it(I did).

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/4/2018 8:15 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

It's probably better for you to pick up the front wheel and only have to turn the bars one way; that's basically the start of ...more

Swinging my ass around is something I have to start mentally trying to incorporate. It’s amazing how mental this sport is, man. 180s legit feel so comfy to me now, but basically the same directional rotation but me going fakie is like a block.

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the threadjack, OP!

|

4/5/2018 4:54 PM

well after trying for what seems like forever I GOT IT! i managed to fakie properly thanks for the suggestions. anyways i need to learn to master them.

|

4/6/2018 12:40 PM

merk20 wrote:

well after trying for what seems like forever I GOT IT! i managed to fakie properly thanks for the suggestions. anyways i need ...more

I spent ALL DAY yesterday watching how-to's and the only thing that made me feel better was several people saying "You will not learn this trick in a day, a week, maybe even a month"

Props to you for getting it though! I'm gonna head out again this weekend and try.

|

4/6/2018 1:36 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I spent ALL DAY yesterday watching how-to's and the only thing that made me feel better was several people saying "You will ...more

Thanks man I hope you learn it as well! Don't give up.

|

4/11/2018 1:07 PM

I learned to roll out of fakies while trying to hop 360's first. It would happen almost naturally when I forced myself to stay on the bike as I would land around 200 and roll out. I then started practicing from a quarter and it was a little harder but I stayed at it. I then spent the first 15-20minutes of every session for like 10 sessions trying to half cab out. I would try it until I just couldn't stand it anymore and then move on to something else I couldn't do. One day I shifted my weight over the back tire in the fakie and this helped me get the frond end light and put me in position to pop around. Now I have them like 9 out of 10 times. I ride cassette if that matters. Now I'm working on getting solid 180's that I can fakie longer out of.

|

4/13/2018 7:04 PM

I. FUCKING. DID IT!!!!!!!!!

I am posting completely drenched, still in pads, still out, but I did it. Went to the park and there was nobody there so I did some warm ups and then decided to do drills.

Rolled up the quarter pipe (~4 feet) countless times and one time it just clicked. I pedaled backwards once to get left foot forward, yanked my bars up and around to my right, pedaled forward (instant engagement, shout out to slack washers) and fucking rotated!!!

It wasn’t clean, it probably didn’t look great and there wasn’t much “skrrrt skrrrt” but I FINALLY got the motion and feeling down. It’s pretty much a fakie pivot out at this point, but I got over that hurdle. Finally.

SO stoked right now. I’m gonna go get pizza.

|

6/13/2018 4:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2018 4:32 AM

Nice one man! Trying a little slider instead of lifting the bars is what did it for me. Stopped me from over rotating and losing balance. I did learn by lifting the bars and cranking a bit but sliders is when they really clicked for me and I could get them every time. Once it's consistent, half cabs and variations come easy. Learning to balance is the hard bit.

|

6/13/2018 10:22 AM

fooby wrote:

Nice one man! Trying a little slider instead of lifting the bars is what did it for me. Stopped me from over rotating and ...more

Thanks man, and yeah I actually started to learn the rotation with sliders. They feel so awesome.

I'm drilling myself with these, though. I'm doing them off banks, off walls, off curbs and quarters. Just trying to get myself dialed with them. Just the other day I started being able to kinda whip the bars the opposite way before I turn the way I wanna go and I can really feel it start to feel natural.

|

6/16/2018 10:55 PM

fooby wrote:

Nice one man! Trying a little slider instead of lifting the bars is what did it for me. Stopped me from over rotating and ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Thanks man, and yeah I actually started to learn the rotation with sliders. They feel so awesome.

I'm drilling myself with ...more

Also although I personally find it weird, there's a guy at the local skatepark who is near pro level who swears turning your bars into the direction of your rollout before you land a 180 is the easiest way when you learn them.

|

6/22/2018 7:34 AM

fooby wrote:

Also although I personally find it weird, there's a guy at the local skatepark who is near pro level who swears turning your ...more

I feel obligated to keep coming back to this thread because I'm starting to get better and better at fakies now. I rolled for about 30 feet yesterday and it just felt so damn good. My tips:

- Rolling up and back down a quarter makes this really easy. Once you work on how to set yourself up balance-wise at the top of the quarter, its smoothness really helps keep you stable while you're rolling back. I'm noticing when I hit coping with my front wheel, if I compress my arms and kinda pump back with my arms, I get good speed and thus, am more balanced

- Looking at your stem reeally helps keep you centered during the fakie. Helps your mind and eyes adjust your body

- I'll agree with the guy you're quoting, Fooby. When I hop 180, in mid air I tend to turn my bars to the left, as I roll out and spin clockwise. It helps guide the inertia of the front end of the bike around to complete the rollout. Definitely helps me. It is, however, a little scary to do at speed.

- For just starting to get comfortable with these, I REAALLLLLY want to learn how to fakie manual, I feel like thats one of the coolest looking tricks ever.

|