wiggle loose rear wheel

Related:
Create New Tag

3/23/2016 10:13 AM

ever since I installed my rear pegs (and fought for a while to adjust the chain omg), i've found the rear wheel can shift left to right maybe a centimeter. not much, but i'm sure that's not supposed to happen :D

plus it makes it feel weird when riding, throws off all kinds of stuff. i gotta fix this.

when looking for solutions found this:

yahoo answer

If it wobbles (to me that means loose) it is the bearings on the axle. They are either bad or out of adjustment. Usually it is just an adjustment. Remove the nuts that hold the wheel on the frame and you will find another set of thinner nuts that tighten the bearings on the axle. Snug them, do not make them tight. Once snug, back off the nut 10 degrees, or if you focus on one point of the nut back it off the distance on a clock from 12 to 11 o'clock. Reinstall the wheel on the bike. That should do it. If what you are calling a wobble is a regular back and forth motion that is present only when you spin the wheel, it is bent and needs trued.

definitely not bent, just loose. I'm going to try this tonight, but wanted to throw this out in case someone was like "Throw a washer on it!" or knew something else i should know.

any ideas? I'm super pumped to be able to get back out there, and can actually do small bunny hops over things now. having to stop and wait sucks sad thanks!

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

3/24/2016 6:55 PM

tl;dr my rear wheel moves around side to side since i put pegs on. is the bearing out of wack or do i need to add washers or something?

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

4/8/2016 2:40 AM

I think this is the wrong thread, m8...
Btw i had this problem too...tightened the bearing nuts and problem fixed...nothing major...you just gotta take things off and see what's wrong for yourself.
Have fun riding :-D

|

4/8/2016 5:56 AM

haha i finally got it last night (had to borrow some open wrenches from a friend), and it was exactly what you just said. nothing major, took a few tries to find the sweet spot, all is well now.

appreciate the reply! and what other thread could i post this to? i thought the same, but looked around and...

How-To

Want to learn a new trick? Need some help working on your bike? Come on in and ask away!

|

4/8/2016 8:36 AM

Well....someone correct me if im wrong...but most of this is posted on general bmx talk. But if no one moved/deleted the thread already, i guess im wrong...sorry if i am :-D

|

4/8/2016 9:01 AM

haha i dunno i'm pretty new. Was trying to follow the rules cause going through the history people were like o0o0o wrong place to post!

but now it seems everything is being lumped into General without a problem, and other threads pretty ignored. prob just a changing of times sort of thing.

so no real idea at this point. all in all just glad it got fixed, and i learned something! appreciate the assist, now i can roll

Photo

|