Gyro cable issues PLEASE HELP

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2010 5:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2016 5:06 AM

Hey guys, i made a post a month or so ago about this same issue and no one really knew how to fix it. I took my bike in to a LBS and they said they fixed it but when i got the bike back it was still not working right, when i went back to them they stated there was no way to fix the issue to the degree i want it fixed, yet on my old frame this issue was never there.

SOOOOOO, here is a recap on the issue and i would really be so thankful if someone could help me out.

I was riding a mirraco BLINK and upgraded the frame to a United. The mirraco was a 20.75 and the united is a 20.65 so there very close.

This issue i am having is the gyro cables from the brake lever to the gyro are to long (link is the cables i am using http://www.danscomp.com/...511018.php?cat=PARTS# ) the tabs that connect to the detangler ( top end) are almost half an inch to long and wont even clip onto the detangler, and if i max everything out on the adjustment screws, there still about 1/8" to long.

I have the adjustment screws maxed out and it is barley giving enough breaking power to do anything, it would be more effective if i just took the brakes off.

I am very lost here and need some professional guidance, i am not a pro bike tech but i have tried everything here and the only way i could possibly see this being fixed if i could get shorter gyro cables or a longer adjustment screw to threat out of the cable splitter ( attached link)

is this a common issue? is there anyone out there that knows how to fix this?

UPDATE:::

Problem has been fixed thanks to the comment of

schmitler "As an alternative, you could get a 1/2 inch headset spacer and have your LBS install it. That is really what you should do. I did the nipple mod so I could put linear housing on my M2 cable. "

Bought a spacer from my LBS and installed flawlessly. Issue is resolved and working exactly as i want it to, cost less then $7.00

Thank you so much guys

Dan

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

12/10/2010 6:39 AM

is there truly no one that has had this issue?

|

Brennan Huff: "I'm so scared right now. I'm just gonna to do what's sensible, I'm gonna file for unemployment. Then I'm gonna try to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, because they got an excellent corporate structure and they... *they* give *you* the tools to be your own boss."

12/13/2010 11:45 PM

My suggestion is to lose the brakes.Less crap on your bike to deal with.Take it easy at first,and before you know it,you'll be a smooth-sailing shred-machine!

|

12/16/2010 7:35 AM

take the cable and run it up and over the cross bar on your bars and that should do it ive had to do it thats all i can think of without having to buy new cables

let me know if that worked for you

|

bike check http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/ONE-TOUGHT-PODRE,1235558

[LINK TO IMAGE]

refs: fitbikeco77, iridebmxeveryday, nickkkk, floka myers, tinybikerider33, bmxihb321, beastassdick, lee rager

12/16/2010 3:12 PM

Buy a new cable?

|

I suck!

12/17/2010 1:11 PM

UPDATE:::

Problem has been fixed thanks to the comment of

schmitler "As an alternative, you could get a 1/2 inch headset spacer and have your LBS install it. That is really what you should do. I did the nipple mod so I could put linear housing on my M2 cable. "

Bought a spacer from my LBS and installed flawlessly. Issue is resolved and working exactly as i want it to, cost less then $7.00

Thank you so much guys

Dan

|

2/17/2011 8:27 PM

Well I don't care if I'm bumping an old post or not, but this issue was all due to buying the wrong length cable for whatever size bars you have. You most likely bought a cable for a 8 inch + bar and only run like a 7.75 or something...

|

2/18/2011 3:54 AM

issue was resolved by putting spacers on headset, looked into the matter further and found you need at least 1 inch clearance on gyro, i only had 3/4 inch. By raising to 1 inch clearance with headset spacers the problem was corrected

|

2/18/2011 10:39 PM

Doing that isnt going to last for very long...

|