Any mechanics out there

Related:
Create New Tag

2/24/2013 7:16 AM

Rover 400. had been using coolant, not a lot no obvious leaks. Then suddenly the heater stopped working, topped up and tried on a test run. OK for few miles then heater went cold, header tank was filling up.
Bled system no change. Tax ran out at this time but even ticking over the header tank would slowly fill up.
Read on t’interweb about removing a small ball bearing in a waterway in the inlet manifold which acts as a one way valve to aid warming up but several sites reckoned it can stick causing overheating and pressurising problems. So did that and seems to run OK (ticking over and fast tickover on drive) and header tank NOT filling up and heater pumping out good and hot, even after running for nearly an hour.
But doubt remains....
So bought a compression tester off ebay and finally did a compression test (engine been running about half an hour, heater well and truly hot then left while I had a cuppa and nibble so still nice and warm). Results are
Cyl 1 (cam belt end of engine) 100
cyl 2 70
cyl 3 95
cyl 4 100

I’m guessing HGF at no 2?

Anyone know how to fix kinda stuck

|

2/24/2013 1:36 PM

did you ever check your thermostat? Is it smoking any white smoke out of the exhaust? Is it overheating? Is there anti-freeze/water in your oil pan (check your dipstick)

Looks like Cylinder 2 has some blow-by, check it again (actually check it like 3 times) turn off all accessories and check your exhaust for blue smoke.

|

2/24/2013 2:27 PM

Couldn’t see any blue smoke, just the usual white exhaust vapour you get on cold days. Checked cyl 2 twice. Thermostat seems to be working, heater pumps out hot and then rad starts to get warm. Not overheating haven’t checked sump.
Thinking about it, have a feeling the antifreeze is that orange OAT stuff. Doesn’t that change colour when there are contaminants in it? The van’s stuff is blue, checked that today as well so got the two confused.

|

2/24/2013 2:30 PM

Orange anti-freeze changes color the older it gets but look for oil in your radiator too.

also, your heater core could be going out too...it would make sense since it will blow hot air and then stop.

|

2/24/2013 2:33 PM

So you don't think it is the head gasket

|

2/24/2013 2:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/24/2013 2:54 PM

Cylinder 2 has a a lot less compression. Do a leak down test as well and that will pin point the pressure loss. Like sbc said... check for oil in your radiator. Sounds like a bad headgasket to me. Depending on where it busted, if it did would cause different symptoms. Is your idle rougher than before?

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/images/engine/head_gasket/head_gasket_areas_of_failure.jpg

|

2/24/2013 3:08 PM

i'm gonna guess and say the gasket is blown between cylinders 2 and 3.

|

2/25/2013 2:18 AM

sbc785 wrote:

i'm gonna guess and say the gasket is blown between cylinders 2 and 3.

I agree with this

|

Latest edit (Check it out) | Anything With Two Wheels Goes!!
"Fuck it and Huck it" -Tomdon

[LINK TO IMAGE]