BMX to Boarding

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2013 8:36 PM

First let me say that BMX is my first love and I am not crossing over. After spending some time at the indoor skatepark (check out 5050skatepark if ur in the NYC area), I decided I wanna switch things up and kick a board around when I need a break from riding. Just something to do with my spare time. I used to think boarding was gay cause of the ppl I saw doing it. Its like as soon as Lupe came out with "Kick, Push" all the black kids in my hood thought they had a pass to skateboard. I got tired of seeing kids who couldnt even ollie kicking down the street like having a board was a fashion statement. Kids were skating to school and to the store not doing a single trick. I used to see a group of skaters that would congregate at different spots and they all sucked. Needless to say, I dont see any of these kids anymore. Now that the fad is over, I wanna try it when the weather gets nice. I dont know a damn thing about skateboards or what to look for in one. I dont feel like going to a skater forum so I was hoping my bmx fam could help me out. I know some of u guys on here skate also so I wanna hear from those who do both. All I wanna do is learn to ollie high, kickflip, manual, and grind a bench. I wanna learn on the best board I can get. How much (max) should I spend on a good setup? What are some brands to get and which should I avoid? And for those who started bmx first, how did u do starting off on a board?

|

1/7/2013 8:56 AM

I had a period like this where i just took a break from BMXing for like a month and started skateboarding
I'm pretty good on ramps not too good at street stuff i can get some tricks but i can't seem to land them
Anyway it's gonna take you a little to get used
A pretty good setup would be
-Plan B deck personally anything in between 7.8-8.25 wide
-Independent stage 10s 139size
-Spitfire wheels size 51-52mm for street
-As for bearings there's a wide range of bearings, they are categorized on a scale called ABEC
ABEC 1 are on shitty walmart skates
ABEC 3 are decent
ABEC 5 a re good for street, strong but spin decently good
ABEC 7 is the limit for skateboarding, those should be the fastest
ABEC 9 and above are for longboards

The brand Bones bearings doesn't categorize theirs on an ABEC scale but they have a pretty wide range, the best ones would be Bones Swiss Ceramic that can cost up to 100 bucks

Anyway some good not too expensive bearings are Bones Redz

I'd say for your bearings stay below 30$
Deck should be around 55-70$ in some cases more
Trucks around 25-30 per single truck so around 60$
Wheels i don't know US prices but here Spitfires cost around 35€ so my guess is 30-40$
Don't forget to buy some grip tape that is for around 5 bucks, i'd recommend MOB
And some bolts i guess a few bucks dunno

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

1/7/2013 9:03 AM

To start off on a skateboard start just cruising around and getting the feel, first tricks you should start trying are ollies and shuv-its
-For trucks some alternative good brands to Independents are Venture, Destructo, Royaland Thunder
-For skate an alternative to Plan B would be Almost, Baker, Blind, Cliche, Deathwish, Element, Enjoi, Flip, Girl, Real, Sk8 Mafia, Toy Machine, Zoo York avoid brands like Aliens Workshop, Birdhouse and DGK

|

1/7/2013 1:42 PM

Ive always rode Real's and indys but thunder's are great also and spitfire or darkstar's. And the only decks i would say absolutely stay away from is walmart and k-mart stuff.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

1/7/2013 1:48 PM

andyferly wrote:

To start off on a skateboard start just cruising around and getting the feel, first tricks you should start trying are ollies ...more

You are crazy. Most of the boards are kinda the same only thing that makes them different is the concave and stuff. Alien workshop, bird house and DGK are good brands and all have sick riders.. Don't go off of what you hear from other people.

|

1/7/2013 1:51 PM

andyferly wrote:

To start off on a skateboard start just cruising around and getting the feel, first tricks you should start trying are ollies ...more

Mikel8149 wrote:

You are crazy. Most of the boards are kinda the same only thing that makes them different is the concave and stuff. Alien ...more

Thye are some of the most trendy mainstream brands i think (not sure) that DGK actually sponsored Justin Bieber
Rob Dyrdeck to me is a sell out as for Birdhouse i have heard a lot of bad shit about them.
But yeah as long as the deck is 7 ply of maple then you should be good.

|

1/7/2013 2:08 PM

andyferly wrote:

Mikel8149 wrote:

You are crazy. Most of the boards are kinda the same only thing that makes them different is the concave and stuff. Alien ...more

andyferly wrote:

Thye are some of the most trendy mainstream brands i think (not sure) that DGK actually sponsored Justin Bieber
Rob Dyrdeck ...more

Noooo, Really i don't think there is a really "trendy" skate brand i mean obviously if lil wayne has a dgk it's gonna be the deck alot of people get but the have some good riders like stevie williams he is a beast, josh kalis is a beast! And Bird house yea, tony hawk, david loy. Alien work shop mikey taylor, grant taylor.. I mean yeah, rob dyrdeck might is making a killing off of that fantasy factory and ridiculousness but i think he is still on the team.. He is making them money also so yea idk lol.

|

1/7/2013 3:02 PM

CCS is probably the cheapest place to build up a custom complete if you're going the mailorder route. What brands you pick is basically all preference. If you're going to be in skating for awhile you'll get a feel of what brand of boards you like. Some have different feel, stiffness, shapes etc. Heres just a rough outline of a good setup in my opinion.
Deck: Alien Workshop, Real, enjoi, almost, mystery are some of my favorite past brands but you should be fine with anything in the $50 range.
Size: I'd go with a 7.75-8. The 8.25-8.50 decks are popular right now but if you're starting out something in the 7.75 range will flip easier while still being decently stable.
Trucks: Can't go wrong with a set of Independents. I also like krux and ventures too.
Wheels: Bones STF are my favorite by far. I'd go with a 52mm size.
Bearings: Bones swiss are good and mine are still going after 4 years, if you're on a budget go for the Bones Reds
Hardware: Whatever you like, bolts are bolts
Grip: Mob, Black Magic
Like i said thats just a rough outline, It took me years of skating along with trial and error of finding stuff i liked and what i didn't like.

|

1/7/2013 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2013 3:09 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

Noooo, Really i don't think there is a really "trendy" skate brand i mean obviously if lil wayne has a dgk it's gonna be the ...more

Man you forgot one of the biggest names from Birdhouse
Jaws!! That guy is crazy he's like a chill skater Sean Burns

|

1/7/2013 4:48 PM

andyferly wrote:

I had a period like this where i just took a break from BMXing for like a month and started skateboarding
I'm pretty good on ...more

abec doesn't mean shit BTW

|

Two hundred years of American technology has unwittingly created a massive cement playground of unlimited potential.STREET DAWG. [url=http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/the-day-has-come,1274784]>BIKE CHECK HERE

1/7/2013 5:43 PM

I've skated for a while now off and on probably 10 years.

Decks- Zero, Toy Machine, Flip, Habitat, Baker, Mystery, Real, Heroin, Slave, Foundation- All good companies most owned by skaters, avoid Alien Workshop/Plan B bullshit- Don't pay more than $55 I try to get them on sale.

Wheels- Generally they're all the same, Autobahn,Spitfire,Hubba,Momentum, Ricta whatever- Pay around 25.

Trucks- Independent, Destructo, Venture, Silver, Royal- pay around 27 each truck.

Bearings- Ricta or Bones Reds are the best- $15

Grip- Jessup but I don't really care about it.

Shoes- Emerica and Fallen are my favorite companies.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

1/7/2013 7:16 PM

Deck - Enjoi
Trucks - Tensor Magnesium
Wheels - Bones 100's
Bearings - Bones Reds
Grip - Whatever
Hardware - Whatever
Shoes - Lakai Manchester Select

|

1/8/2013 3:10 AM

Mikel8149 wrote:

Ive always rode Real's and indys but thunder's are great also and spitfire or darkstar's. And the only decks i would say ...more

lol darkstar and a few other major brands are at walmart now... id say fuck it and jsut pick up a darkstar complete from walmart to learn on

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/8/2013 12:21 PM

thanks for all the input guys. I checked out CCS and their complete boards start at 69.99 and 99.99 for a brand name deck. Trying to keep it 100.00ish since this isnt something i'm gonna put all my effort into. any other sites I can check out for completes? Also, from what I understand the height of the trucks and how far apart the wheels are will determine how the board turns and the overall feel of it. Starting out, would any decent trucks do? Can any pair of trucks be adjusted to how I want it to feel? I'll only be kicking it around on flat ground learning ollies and dont plan to hit any ramps.

|

1/8/2013 2:05 PM

wnb85 wrote:

thanks for all the input guys. I checked out CCS and their complete boards start at 69.99 and 99.99 for a brand name deck. ...more

Thats the base price for the whole complete. I built this for $87. Good setup and you can even find a free shipping code online for it too.
Toy Machine Sect Eye Deck 7.88
Venture Superlight Low Trucks 7.75
Autobahn Nexus wheel 51mm
Bones Reds Bearings
Lucky Hardware
Mob grip
As for how the board turns that can depend on the bushings and the height of the truck. It all depends how you decide you like your trucks. Some people like to have their trucks tight and they actually have to lift up the front end or "tic tac" to turn, while others like to have them looser where you just have to lean in the direction where you wanna go and they turn. I like mine kinda tighter for stability.
As for truck height low trucks feel more stable and close to the ground which is actually what i prefer. Mids and highs you can really carve into turns and stuff if you ride looser trucks. You can upgrade the bushings to Bones Hard or medium, soft if you want but i wouldnt worry about it right now, you may like the stock ones. Also when you first ride it your stock bushings may need to be broken in before they turn decently.

|

1/8/2013 3:42 PM

wnb85 wrote:

thanks for all the input guys. I checked out CCS and their complete boards start at 69.99 and 99.99 for a brand name deck. ...more

No problem dude

- CCS, Skatewarehouse, Amazon, Skately, Tactics, Active.

Trucks- Get some Independents or something like that, they'll last you for a good while so you might as well buy a good set.

Yes you can loosen or tighten the trucks to your preference.

I believe most sites and shops have deals like a 100% custom board for 120.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

1/8/2013 7:23 PM

skatewarehouse is what I started on, got a mystery custom for my 13th birthday. It was a mystery deck, jessup tape, bones reds bearings, mystery hardware, independent trucks, enjoi wheels. it was nice, but it got stolen from me at a free park. I was so upset.

|

1/8/2013 8:29 PM

andyferly wrote:

I'm pretty good on ...more

Wrong the higher abec doesn't necisarily(sp) make it spin faster. Higher abec just means it will be capable of going at higher speeds and it ill be more efficient, precise, etc.. Abec 1s inner rings are more than precise enough for skating use. Anyways after around 10 muinets of use the tracks will become irregular and the high grade bearing might as well be an abec 1 Bearing.

|

Phone # 925 353 6162
Bought from: hookjrclc, scramhype, tito24, howlerfbm, pavimo, bmxkitten, others
Traded with: Kroller, the Balt, trentydoo

1/8/2013 8:38 PM

just go to a skateshop and pick a deck you like and ask them what parts they recommend

go to a real skateshop that is not zumies. like one where skaters work there not emo scene fags

and dont get fruity colors

|

crystal meth

1/10/2013 3:07 AM

honestly i would just go for a cheap darkstar complete from walmart, shits kinda heavy but itll take a beating its less that 50 if i remember right and its a solid complete to learn on

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/10/2013 3:15 PM

andyferly wrote:

Alien Workshop, Birdhouse and DGK are sweet man, where'd you hear that from?

|

Instagram= suckmydeeeck
Tumblr= http://benkingyo.tumblr.com/

1/10/2013 3:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2013 3:23 PM

I pretty much only skate now.

Look out for sales, some shops sell like two boards for £65 down here, don't know about 'merica

Baker, Deathwish, Creature, Zero, Krooked, Death, Palace, Polar etc. are pretty much the best boards you can get

Indy trucks are all ya need

Shake junt or bones red bearings

Spitfire or bones wheels

some shake junt hard ware or what ever

what ever grip, i run shake junt on both my decks

Or you could just get a complete, Creature make good completes.

|

Instagram= suckmydeeeck
Tumblr= http://benkingyo.tumblr.com/

1/12/2013 8:31 AM

enjoi, plan b, element, deathwish, zero and baker are good decks.
bones wheels are good
venture and indys are good trucks
for bearings reds are good

decks are between 40 and 50 bucks usually
wheels are 25 to 35 bucks
trucks are usually around 60 bucks (both
bearings spend anything between 15 and 40 bucks

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.