Buying a house?!

Related:
Create New Tag

12/13/2016 5:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/13/2016 5:05 AM

So, looks like me and the wife are looking to take our first steps onto the property ladder. We've even found a couple of nice places in our budget already too!
However, I'm really scared of the responsibility of owning a home! The maintenance etc doesn't bother me at all. And the monthly payments are manageable. What worries me is that I don't like my job. I've got good job security working here, I'm certainly not going to get laid off any time soon. But the job itself really gets to me sometimes. To the point I'd love to just walk out sometimes. Plus, my ambition is to become self employed (I want my own bmx shop!), which is a possibility in the future. But I can't guarantee my income will pay my mortgage.
If it wasn't for having a kid, I wouldn't be bothered about buying. But I want something to leave him when I go.

Any home owners here?
Got any advice or words of wisdom?
I don't feel like a grown up enough to own property!

|

12/13/2016 6:21 AM

Funny I haven't been on here in ages but just got an email and started fishing around and came up on this and man I'll tell ya I just got over going through all this shit! It was the hardest and most stressful thing I've ever done! I went through all the emotions you are going thru right now and all I can say is.. what other way is there?? Renting?? Then your paying someone else's dream and one day you'll walk away with nothing! Fk that! It's all worth it in the end but in no way is it easy! But know this..once you lock into that mortgage it will totally consume you! You will never think about leaving your job so easily again! Just make sure you can easily handle the payment! Don't stretch yourself out! I did! And now I'm dealing with more stress than I've ever dealt with before in my life! But when it gets to be too much just remember that everything happens for a reason! Ride your bike while you can and stay young as you can! Live life and have fun cuz everything else will wear u out!

|

12/13/2016 8:38 AM

Live in a van down by the river , no rent no mortgage no property tax , travel the country and see shit when your not at work

|

12/13/2016 1:34 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Live in a van down by the river , no rent no mortgage no property tax , travel the country and see shit when your not at work ...more

I'm married and have a son. But if I didn't, I'd already be doing this! It's how I plan to spend most of the summer!

I'm really put off the idea now, had a shit day at work and wanted to call my boss a cunt. Haha

|

12/15/2016 11:23 AM

Going to the bank tomorrow with the wife to ask what kind of mortgage we could get. I don't like being an adult haha

|

12/19/2016 8:21 PM

BUY LAND AND PUT A SHIPPING CONTAINER ON THE LAND AND USE YOUR SON AS FREE LABOR TO HELP YOU MORPH IT INTO A HOUSE.

nah but seriously living arrangements are all so scam unless you have cash up front imo. people who rent are batshit crazy. i have land with a container on it im currently fucking with as i get funds to reinvest into it. it's gon be cool. imma live like andy warhol

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

12/20/2016 11:03 PM

Spenlard wrote:

BUY LAND AND PUT A SHIPPING CONTAINER ON THE LAND AND USE YOUR SON AS FREE LABOR TO HELP YOU MORPH IT INTO A HOUSE.

nah but ...more

Unfortunately it's no where near as easy as that over here. It has to conform to so many standards to be deemed suitable for living in. Plus our winters are cold, and shipping containers aren't very big. Getting planning permission and the cost of building a house now make it cheaper to just buy a house. I even thought about buying land and putting a couple of caravans on it, but you're not really allowed to. It sucks, I'd love to build my own house. Bloody expensive though, and yeah, you need the cash up front. You can't get a mortgage for land and an idea

|

12/22/2016 4:27 PM

Got a house in September, I am the sole provider and my wife watches kids a little on the side. It's a lot of maintenance work, but I couldn't be much happier. (A garage would be solid but no biggie).

We have 1/3rd of an acre in a quiet part of town next to a couple schools (minimal spots to ride at them, I checked).

Make sure that you understand what any utilities will cost, and make sure that you aren't becoming house broke. If you currently pay 800 in rent/utilities and live comfortably, try to keep it that or below with the house because you are then responsible for everything.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/22/2016 5:46 PM

You may not like your job, but there's plenty of homeowners that don't either.

When we bought our house 6 years ago I hated my job, and my boss even more. Things lined up for me & I Ieft there for a career, with 160% pay increase, travel, & far more vacation days. Good things will happen, with timing & patience.

On a side note, I've been self employed. Be prepared to work 7 days a week & long hours. Even if you aren't at work, at home you're doing paper work or your thinking about work. I don't see how you'd survive limiting yourself to bmx. You'd cast a wide net with road, mtb, hybrid, kids, & whatever hipster/ gay fat tire bike trend.

Sometimes at the end of the day it's earlier to let a boss deal with the stress while you work a 40hr work week that ends when you get in your car.

Getting back on track, you won't regret owning a home. There'll be ups & downs with work, family, bills, etc., that's the nature of life, think of your wife & kid & you'll make the right decision.

And as others have advised, stay within your budget.

|

12/23/2016 1:25 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

So, looks like me and the wife are looking to take our first steps onto the property ladder. We've even found a couple of nice ...more

Same thing here, I have a secure job, too secure actually smile)
The pay is good, but I hate it! I work in a corporation...

Luckily, I managed to save enough money to live a few years without this job, and I'm always threatening the management that if they piss me off, I'll quit right there right then.
This is the only think that gets me through, knowing that I can fuck them when I want smile)

Anyways, I wouldn't be able to do this if I had a kid/wife or had to pay mortgage, That's why I'll try to stay clear of those as long as I can smile)

My plan is to save enough money to buy land in the mountains, a nice forest, near a river, and build one of those self sustainable houses, and make my own food.
The only thing that worries me is the medical assurance sad
But then again, living in the woods, away from the city and pollution and stress may mean that I'll never need that smile)

|

12/23/2016 10:27 AM

Land and property over here are expensive. And I don't have the money up front to buy land and build my owe house.
The wife's income is higher than mine! And at the moment we're comfortable. We can get a mortgage for about £180,000 (paying a 10% deposit). It'll cost about £100 a month more than we're paying in rent, which is manageable (cutting out takeaways, and generally being more careful with money, shouldn't be too hard). But over here, that'll get you a terraced 3 bed house, with a small garden in an ok area if you're lucky, or a nice 3 bed flat (you guys call it an apartment) in a nice area, maybe even with a small outside area. Most of what's on the market for that price is a bit shit though really. Flats are a weird one though, as you're only buying a lease, so it's never really yours.

I guess in the long run, a nice flat would make more sense, we wouldn't have to put any money into it. And if the lease is long enough we won't lose any money on it. Then buy a decent house a few years down the line?

|