Camshaft Sensor

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2012 12:59 AM

I put in a new one and my truck stopped randomly shutting off for a few days and now it's back... what the fuck is the problem? It's pissing me off

|

Vimeo.com/bmxhope
Flickr.com/bmxhope

9/7/2012 2:29 AM

Faulty cam sensor?

|

9/7/2012 5:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2012 5:56 AM

Could be a faulty alternator? do all the accessories stop working when the car randomly shuts off?

|

9/7/2012 10:14 AM

have you check the spark plugs?

|

parkrat.

9/7/2012 6:07 PM

mine did the same today. tore it apart and broke the timing belt. check that

|

refs tcbmx, future fbm, ftwaymom91, droogskull, spikez5, agrracing, bmx4thahaters, irideeverything92, the balt, 1of1547 , shadow.conspiracy , x.woody.x, rideeverything92, blizzbikes, bstick, showtime402, brokenbmx.....tired of listing. Ask around im legit

9/7/2012 6:40 PM

fly for life wrote:

mine did the same today. tore it apart and broke the timing belt. check that

Yes, you should check it quick since it can cause a piston to misfire. Also, its probably something connected to the camshaft sensor that causes them to break, meaning you need to fix whatevers connected to the sensor then replace the new sensor.

|

9/8/2012 12:37 AM

The only thing that happens is the engine shuts off.. my subs still play my A/C just the engine shuts off. But then my powering steering locks up fast and also my cruise control works sometimes if that matters

|

Vimeo.com/bmxhope
Flickr.com/bmxhope

9/8/2012 5:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2012 5:16 AM

TXLJHOPE wrote:

The only thing that happens is the engine shuts off.. my subs still play my A/C just the engine shuts off. But then my powering steering locks up fast and also my cruise control works sometimes if that matters

Does your car overheat?, if the fan does not start up to cool the engine down, the engine will shut off, this happened to my car when I had a cracked head-gasket, the fan was fucked and wouldn't cool the engine down when it overheated and then the engine would randomly shut off.

|

9/8/2012 6:00 AM

I am pretty sure you have either a bad connection, a short in the wiring circuit of the sensor, or a bad sensor. I too am going through this on my car. Sad part is, I have to pretty much rip half the motor apart to get to the sensor, so I am looking at a few hundred in parts, and if I have someone do it (I don't mess around with timing) about 500+ total...

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2012 7:56 AM

could also be a bad fuel pump.

|

ILIKEDIRT

9/12/2012 9:51 AM

your the guy I told dont be suprised if that dont fix it before, right?

Heres the deal, ALOT of american cars do this, it happens for a variety of reasons, the cam sensor is only one part of the system, for example, buicks use tabs on the harmonic dampener that the crank shaft sensor "reads", if those tabs are bent or the dampener itself is damaged, your gonna get the same problem. Also some cars need there ECU reset after something like this. Also if its a GMC, Chevy etc. sometimes the flash memory needs to be rewritten, thats right on american cars sometimes the computer just randomly forgets things.

Coming from someone that has done this professionally for over 10 years, I probably couldn't figure out what was wrong with it if I had your car for a week. People usually go about this two ways, randomly replace parts until they get it or give up and take the car to a shop OR and this is my advice, take your car to the DEALER, around here its only $100 or so for diagnostics, then do the work yourself. I have my customers do this and it saves them money in the long run. The dealer is specialized to diagnose there own vehicles, its easier for them.

Example, my dads 2000 ford ranger wouldnt start in cold weather unless you depressed the accelerator fully, then started not wanting to idle, because we needed the car with no downtime, we took it to the dealer, for a $110 they told me battery, fuel filter, and a sensor, MAF(mass air flow) i believe, the dealer had the car for 6 hours or so, my dad picked up the parts on the way home from picking up the truck, an hour or two later I had changed all the parts, and the problem was gone for good. Total time of about 9 hours. Total cost around 250.

Newer cars, esp. american can be incredibly hard to diagnose without specialized equipment and more importantly dealer notes, called TSE or technical service bulletins, you see, dealers keep notes on cars they fix in a large database, and put out TSE's for common recurring problems, most likely the money you pay the dealer would be spent guessing and buying things you or someone else "thinks" might be the problem. Its a good way to get alot of new parts in your car and spend hours upon hours changing things, constantly frustrating yourself when what you just bought and changed wasnt the problem.

Save yourself some heartache, and just pop for the dealer diagnostic, OR call the dealer ask to speak to somebody in service or the parts department, sometimes the peeps that work there are cool and will tell you about common problems that relate to yours. I actually had a tech from Honda walk me through replacing the 5th gear inside a tranny over the phone once, a 1 1/2 hour process.

Also be wary of buying used parts from wrecking yards or even parts from autozone and the like, both have screwed me over multiple times, buying harmonic dampeners from wrecking yards that looked good but weren't and getting BRAND NEW parts from autozone that were in fact bad right outa the box. Went through 3 starters for my integra, with constant problems until I bought a dealer starter, ya it cost me $245, but problem solved, 3 years later starts likke a brand new car.

In short: for a guy thats had the DIY mentality for over 15 years working on cars, dealer diagnostics have saved me countless hours of frustration, and while I like saving money, not a single part from autozone will ever touch one of my jap cars ever again. You have american so this dosent apply but, how reliable is your "japanese" car when you replace all the parts with shit from china and indonesia?

|