Editing laptop

Related:
Create New Tag

11/20/2015 2:06 PM

Good laptop to buy to do video editing? Something that wouldn't take forever to process footage and whatnot. I have no idea to start. I'd also use it for school and such. Typing papers and crap.

|

11/21/2015 6:30 PM

Check out this website it's legit.
Www.newegg.com

|

11/21/2015 10:47 PM

MacBook Pro . If you can afford one , or find a used one , it's processing is pretty fucked . The new MacBook is a god damn calculator though so don't get that one , shit can barely run any program that isn't Google.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/22/2015 10:10 AM

MacBook Pro. Save up for it if you can't afford it. No other laptop even comes close. It'll last you longer than any other laptop and will provide the best user experience of any laptop.

|

11/22/2015 12:11 PM

Mac book pros are overpriced and the only one that comes with a dedicated graphics card is 2500$ you could get an 18" with 6 or 8 gigs of vram for that price. A laptop running Windows could also handle 24 or 32 gigs of ram, unless you have a bunch of other apple products I would not recommend a Mac. Those macs only have dual core processors until the very top of the line as well but this is all just from their products page on their website.
For 2500$...
Photo

Photo
For 1500ish
Photo

Photo

Photo
I believe all of these have solid state drives as well. Idk much about editing but I know that editing animations can be seriously demanding, and honestly if you got 2k to drop on a Mac you could look into having a laptop custom built. Some of those rigs are hardcore and would likely handle anything you could possibly need done with ease.

|

11/22/2015 1:11 PM

If you're looking at specs, a MacBook isn't for you. MacBooks are for those who prefer a better real world experience over big numbers on a piece of paper. Look at those laptops you posted. I GUARANTEE none of them will last as long as a MacBook. When the MacBook has a problem, you can take it to an Apple Store and have it fixed, probably for free.

I also guarantee you none of those laptops have keyboards or trackpads even half as good as a MacBook's. If you think that's not a big deal, you've never used a MacBook's keyboard or trackpad.

I guarantee none of them will have even close to the battery life of a MacBook. I guarantee none of them have as accurate of a display (Obviously important for editing). And I can tell just from looking at them that no one actually gave a fuck about how it looked when they were designing it. A few of those are also super bulky.

I know, you're thinking "HURR DURR BUT THESE HAVE BIGGER NUMBERS ON PAPER." Guess what. A similarly priced MacBook will outperform all of those. Numbers are nothing. Everything you posted were gaming laptops. Those are literally made for people like you, those who just look at numbers. They throw big numbers on the spec sheet so you think it will be great, but the user experience will be terrible compared to a MacBook. They get those big numbers at lower prices by cutting corners in pretty much every other place.

You also have to factor in that you're getting Windows instead of OS X, which is a significant downgrade. If you really want to see how numbers barely matter, look at how Apple's dual core mobile chips perform significantly better than Android's eight core chips. But of course that's much different than laptops. Also, since you're wanting it for editing, don't forget about Final Cut, a Mac only app

|

11/22/2015 2:02 PM

First off it's 1024 megabytes to a gigabyte no matter how you write it, Apple didn't think of a new to count these things and for programs that do actually support OS and Windows the requirements are generally the same. Retina display is a shit way of marketing something a few shades better than HD like UHD and 4k and it's not some magical screen made by Apple and there's undoubtedly comparable options available. I didn't read into those ones I mentioned but they prolly come with mechanical keyboards with full color customization and precision trackpads, which is surely what apples offering. You can set the backlit keyboard on your Mac to any color you want right? Battery might be a problem on some of these yeah but I don't know where you get this argument that the numbers don't matter. Also hurr durr nobody mentioned anything about android, and all of these chips in question are Intel so I'm not sure what your getting at hurr durr. I brought these up because I really don't think onboard graphics are gonna cut it, and honestly fuck OS X when you could run Linux. For those prices and the lack of hardware involved the warranty had better include a good quality dick sucking every time I call apple, because even if they suck my dick and fix the computer it still ain't gonna run countless movie editing programs like Sony's Movie Studio which only supports Windows.

|

11/22/2015 4:27 PM

I have an Alienware, about 5 months old now..love it. Cost me right at $1,700

|

Smoke Drink Die

1/14/2016 5:27 AM

For certain things as well you want good internet speed. Uploading to YouTube or Vimeo could take hours if its over a 5 minute video. Good internet speeds for uploading you would want atleast 20 download speed and 5 upload. 10 upload speed is even more ideal that wont break the bank

|

1/14/2016 5:45 AM

Listen I'm not here to bash Apple okay I use their products also, but here is a video that may help you consider a different option in case the OP hasn't made a purchase yet /stares at the date of thread (_&gtwink

|

"STREET" all day, ere'day.

1/27/2016 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2016 7:05 PM

OP said he wanted to do video editing, and schoolwork.

macbook pro.

if he had said gaming, i'd agree with xXZ4KOXx.

tl;dr: hardware specs are meaningless if the software doesn't use it correctly. oooo i got a lambo, too bad i can't drive worth a damn.

Xxohioanxx is definitely right on the OS difference. 1024 meg to a gig may be a number, but you have to take into account OS/Application-level efficient use of the hardware pipelines, garbage collection, optimisation (how well does it handle fragmentation?), memory leaks, all this.

like android systems....all the hardware in the world, but an OS-level issue prevents an android device from EVER becoming competitive in the audio production market. do you see musicians flocking to android? android users may love to go on about their device's specs, but their OS sucks (for this specific application)

Bug 3434 btw if you're ever curious. the whole reason i ditched android systems. there's a latency issue in the audio core that does not allow serious musicians or even serious hobbyists to properly produce music. they've never addressed it, and people are trying workarounds and hacks just to try to bring it to an acceptable level.

bug reported july 31st, 2009. assigned, jun 19, 2013, last change, jun 26, 2015. good luck with that one laughing

basically there's a delay that an average user won't notice, but a person attempting proper production definitely does.

soooo....get an iOS/OSX system that doesn't have it ; p

*edit* this is meant to be an example that for specific applications, specific systems should be considered for just that purpose. i wouldn't choose a mac for gaming because the raw specs aren't there, and you can't easily upgrade them, but for music, graphic design, word processing, and arguably software development (the higher end devs i've seen all steer toward apple products), i'd choose apple. not as a brand, but as a unix-based system that handles data efficiently. struggle with windows drivers, anyone?

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

1/27/2016 7:25 PM

Buzzbegone wrote:

Listen I'm not here to bash Apple okay I use their products also, but here is a video that may help you consider a different ...more

i gotta add in all fairness, if it's a tight student budget do get something like ASUS...i swear by their mobos. you can video edit and all that with sony vegas (my favourite...not available on OSX), but if it's an art degree or something you'll benefit from a macbook (this is not even assuming OP is reading this, just whoever comes along....)

that's a very specific application. "get through college" :D hands down bang for buck.

|

I can't upload a photo for my sig. it's that guy puking really hard, except it's coming out of his ears and eyes, too. just imagine that instead of this text. oh look, there he is now!

1/27/2016 7:43 PM

very good points it doesnt really matter what high end parts you have if its all just gonna bottleneck somewhere. its still kinda hard to go with an apple tho, those prices are an instant deterrent for me, and with limited upgrade possibilities its just a no no. the proffesional use is a good point too tho, my cousin in Norway is doing some research into speech impediments and shes on her PC loads, she swears by her Mac. i was just trying to send some advice OPs way. but in my defense newegg doesnt have a section for multimedia laptops and i dont even look in the general use section, im not trying to sell dude a gaming laptop, and no i dont struggle with drivers but ive been on windows for more than ten years. ill bet i couldnt even navigate my way to google on a mac tho
lol had to show offPhoto

|

1/27/2016 8:08 PM

newegg is the spot for real, you're completely right. no matter what system you go for, hit up newegg. the filters for helping you find your choice is fantastic.

i don't even think anybody's trying to sell anyone anything, it's the great discussion of variances in hardware/software :D
(i was a bit surprised to fall into all this on a BMX forum)

dude 24 gig of system ram blink man what are you doing on that thing?!

prob whatever you like in the world w00t , but tell me playing fallout 4 and preparing for doom 4. doom 4 had better deliver with john carmack gone, or i'll be done with id (hurts just to say)

|

1/27/2016 8:37 PM

yeah lots of fallout 4, i get at least 40fps with everythibg but godrays on ultra pretty much in 2k too. im trying to push the envelope, im getting ready to RAID ohhh idk maybe 2.5tbs of SSDs, i might just do 1tb tho, i have a perfectly good mechanical drive sooo. but yeah just fyi i have a huge botyleneck in my system and it often waits to read from my HD.

|

1/29/2016 9:38 PM

Been saving up. I'll probably grab a mac. And ditch android.

|

1/30/2016 8:29 AM

Take it from a person who owns a pc: macs are superior for video editing. Even on non exclusive suites like davinci resolve, side by side tests show that a lesser spec'd Mac will offer better performance than a better specced pc.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/30/2016 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2016 8:39 AM

deepdiarrhea wrote:

i gotta add in all fairness, if it's a tight student budget do get something like ASUS...i swear by their mobos. you can video ...more

Yeah Sony Vegas is a garbage software. Does it offer a comprehensive color grading tab? Nope. Does it have a industry standard specific exclusive codec as good as Apple prores? Hell no. If you don't believe that it's inferior, look at what the top softwares used professionally are. Davinci resolve, premiere, avid, final cut.

Davinci resolve 12 lite has all the functionality of the full software except for a couple niche tools, and it's 100% free for anyone to download. It has the most advanced color grading tab. And it has stuff most suites don't have (at least easily) like automatic creation of low Res proxies for weaker computers.

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/30/2016 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2016 9:25 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

Yeah Sony Vegas is a garbage software. Does it offer a comprehensive color grading tab? Nope. Does it have a industry standard ...more

yeah mate never claimed it was the BEST, i said "favourite" (as in preference, and unavailable (natively) on my preference for technical reasons operating system.) so, really, wouldn't you think i'd like final cut or something?

nah i like sony vegas, cause the controls were intuitive. and i'm not really trying to remaster Big Hero 6 while sitting on the toilet.

but this thread is still about editing laptops (for SCHOOL) as far as I can tell. maybe we should start a new one "what is the best video editing software", which i won't post in, because it's subjective at that point.

*edit* also now i'm totally interested in Davinci, thanks for the shout. i've been trying to replace vegas for a while since i can't use it without technical effort.

|