Getting into cars...

Related:
Create New Tag

7/16/2016 8:53 PM

As the title says. I've been lacking the motivation to ride as often as I did during the beginning of this year and all of last year. Usually, I'd at least keep my bike in decent condition and maintain it, but nowadays, I just pick it up and if it rolls and nothing is loose, I'm just gonna ride it and not even care. I was always into cars, but never had the money to really get into it, and my parents are super strict about the hobby because of things like street racing obviously. I ended up getting a real cheap 2002 Honda Accord EX V6, which is sadly only available in automatic transmission. I got a new cold air intake and catback exhaust system for it, as well as some aesthetics like a lip spoiler, front bumper lip, and tuning lug nuts. Parents are okay/didn't really care too much about it since I didn't blow $500 even, but the exhaust kinda pisses them off. I don't really drive like an ass around the neighborhood and I try to keep it less than 3k RPM. Pretty much everyone within a certain radius around my area quit riding or barely rides and has gotten into cars as well, so I just hope I'm not giving up, and I hope some of you car guys on here can share about their car hobby and maybe even coming into contact with others due to a loud exhaust.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/17/2016 3:09 PM

I've got no interest in cars at all. Never even had a lesson. But I've seen so so so so many riders quit and get into cars. I guess the key to having 2 hobbies is to take a break from them from time to time to rediscover the other. I work with 2 kids that just started riding again after a year or so break, because they got into cars, and they both seem to be really excited about it. Like seeing it with fresh eyes from a different perspective.
I've quit a few times over the years due to other hobbies getting in the way. And it's mostly been down to not being able to afford to take both seriously at the same time.
Just enjoy both for what they are. At the end of the day, it's a kids bike, and a car. You can enjoy both, but you don't need to let either of them consume all of your money and time. But a short break from anything is good

|

7/18/2016 7:02 AM

cold air intake does nothing unless the engine is fully built and you can get a manual transmission for around $300 for it and just get a new muffler on the rear to quiet it down. dont be a ricer YO BRO I GOT COLD AIR INTAKE AND CATBACK EXHAUST MY CAR CANT EVEN BREAK 200HP BUT ITS SO FAST YOU SEE THESE LIPS BRO TRACK DAY

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

7/18/2016 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2016 4:48 PM

JonnyGanja wrote:

cold air intake does nothing unless the engine is fully built and you can get a manual transmission for around $300 for it and just get a new muffler on the rear to quiet it down. dont be a ricer YO BRO I GOT COLD AIR INTAKE AND CATBACK EXHAUST MY CAR CANT EVEN BREAK 200HP BUT ITS SO FAST YOU SEE THESE LIPS BRO TRACK DAY

This^^^^

do NOT be a ricer!
you already are dangerously close to becoming a ricer......

sell your honda and buy a NA miata. manuel, fun revvy engine, looks GREAT with small aesthetic changes (wheels, lip, spoiler and lowered slightly), i believe you can get reasonably cheap if you hunt around..... + heaps more great points for a budding car enthusiast!

|

7/18/2016 6:45 PM

e30 forever! youll love cars even more

|

Smitten In The Mitten

My Whip:

2013 Sunday Funday Aaron Ross Pro "

Ride For:

42North, Run Jelly Pandas, Michigan Local

7/22/2016 7:43 PM

Fuck these guys, rice what you have. Auto is max rice lol. I miss my miata now i have a veloster

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

7/28/2016 7:51 PM

JonnyGanja wrote:

Lol, that's literally me. I know it's rice, but it's all I had. I installed the silencers yesterday and it's much quieter and drones way less, but sounds like dual coffee cans. There's only like 4-5 legit catback exhaust systems made for my car, and I'm one of the people who went with the most affordable one. It sounds as legit as my friend's Invidia Q300 on his Scion FRS, a tad bit louder. I'm honestly about to install my stock exhaust system because my silencers are 1" with 2.5" piping all the way through, and that's even worse than OEM, which is 2" all the way through. Apart from that, I'm in the process of getting a front bumper lip and trunk lip spoiler for my sedan. I already have extended open end lug nuts on my OEM wheels, which look rice, but whatever. As for suspension, I intend on keeping my stock struts, even though they're higher than what people would like on my car. Stiff lowering spring coilover kits can be too bouncy, and I definitely don't have money for legit coilovers.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

7/29/2016 7:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/29/2016 7:53 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Lol, that's literally me. I know it's rice, but it's all I had. I installed the silencers yesterday and it's much quieter and drones way less, but sounds like dual coffee cans. There's only like 4-5 legit catback exhaust systems made for my car, and I'm one of the people who went with the most affordable one. It sounds as legit as my friend's Invidia Q300 on his Scion FRS, a tad bit louder. I'm honestly about to install my stock exhaust system because my silencers are 1" with 2.5" piping all the way through, and that's even worse than OEM, which is 2" all the way through. Apart from that, I'm in the process of getting a front bumper lip and trunk lip spoiler for my sedan. I already have extended open end lug nuts on my OEM wheels, which look rice, but whatever. As for suspension, I intend on keeping my stock struts, even though they're higher than what people would like on my car. Stiff lowering spring coilover kits can be too bouncy, and I definitely don't have money for legit coilovers.

MY RICER

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

7/30/2016 7:11 PM

iamelvis wrote:

This^^^^

do NOT be a ricer!
you already are dangerously close to becoming a ricer......

sell your honda and buy a NA miata. manuel, fun revvy engine, looks GREAT with small aesthetic changes (wheels, lip, spoiler and lowered slightly), i believe you can get reasonably cheap if you hunt around..... + heaps more great points for a budding car enthusiast!

This- about the Miata (MX5).

Forget all you think you think about little, convertible cars and try one. You will rapidly realize that 90+% of other cars are largely crap & you finally know how a car should handle.

So good. Great gearbox, light, fun true sportscar heritage in an inexpensive, reliable package.

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

8/10/2016 8:36 PM

get a short throw dipstick(+10hp) and make ur car dirt nasty low

|

8/11/2016 2:27 PM

Ratrods are pretty sweet.

Pick up an old rotted out muscle car or truck and rat it up! That way you don't need to worry about perfectly smooth ANYTHING.

Just runs and drives well. That's all.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/22/2016 12:38 PM

Get a old G body Monte. Those are beasts. Old GM with 305s or 350s are insanely easy to work on, pick up an old eldorado cut some that steel out, weld aluminum into it. Ricers are dead, those are a dime a dozen, I got a fucking Probe GT and I hate it.

|

8/22/2016 2:33 PM

ay-yo wrote:

Get a old G body Monte. Those are beasts. Old GM with 305s or 350s are insanely easy to work on, pick up an old eldorado cut some that steel out, weld aluminum into it. Ricers are dead, those are a dime a dozen, I got a fucking Probe GT and I hate it.

g-body cant go off the line straight lol gbody shuffle

|

8/22/2016 4:49 PM

ay-yo wrote:

JonnyGanja wrote:

g-body cant go off the line straight lol gbody shuffle

Man, if you talking cruising and some high speeds on the highway, hell yeah G Bodies. A track is a whole different animal, more than a hobby, see guys give there souls for the track. lmao

|

8/28/2016 6:20 AM

All I got is a 2004 Pontiac Grand am in white. Love it.

|

9/2/2016 10:24 PM

screw cars.

get a 4WD. even when COMPLETELY stock standard, no modification, they are more fun than would ever imagine - certainly the most fun than you can have with your pants on and for as little as $0 (provided you are matey with the seller).
seriously, you can pick up a 4WD for dirt cheap and have the time of your life.

obviously big tyres, lifts and bar work is going to cost but you dont need that to have a seriously good time.

believe me, i know what im talking about. and then i put on lift, bigger tyres and had more fun. so good.

|

9/5/2016 1:58 PM

Anyways, it's been 3+ months with the full catback exhaust and I've gotta say, it was a weird battle. Without silencers, it was really nice sounding, except it was way too loud with a lot of droning and I felt like it gave me somewhat crappier gas mileage. And with silencers, there was less drone and it was quieter, but it sounded like a crappy coffee can, and the silencers' 1" piping were worse than my 2" OEM piping. Thus, I reinstalled my OEM exhaust system yesterday and it's perfect. Obviously missing the sound and all, but yeah.. And I also removed my cold air intake because I feel like my engine would get flooded in the winter and spring during raining without the bypass or water filter. That, and I don't think aftermarket intakes would get me much power without a tune anyways.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

9/5/2016 8:44 PM

iamelvis wrote:

screw cars.

get a 4WD. even when COMPLETELY stock standard, no modification, they are more fun than would ever imagine - certainly the most fun than you can have with your pants on and for as little as $0 (provided you are matey with the seller).

obviously big tyres, lifts and bar work is going to cost but you dont need that to have a seriously good time.

believe me, i know what im talking about. and then i put on lift, bigger tyres and had more fun. so good.

stock 4wd is really 2wd because open diffs, need lockers front and back way before you do tires or a lift

|

9/6/2016 9:00 PM

sell it and buy an old taurus sho 5spd lol

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

9/7/2016 7:05 PM

I'll sell ya my Pontiac Sunfire lololol

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/9/2016 1:52 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'll sell ya my Pontiac Sunfire lololol

ive got a 5 spd '93 sunbird soft top (predecessor to the cav) as a summer car and it's a riot haha. the 3.1 v6's have potential man

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

9/24/2016 10:42 PM

iamelvis wrote:

screw cars.

JonnyGanja wrote:

stock 4wd is really 2wd because open diffs, need lockers front and back way before you do tires or a lift

wrong.

1st: tyres and suspension.

with larger tyres and more travel in your suspension your tryes will dropp into and fill up holes that before you were lifting tyres and spinning them in the air, losing forward motion. yes, lockers will help in this situation but you will be surprised where an unlocked vehicle will go. also, driving an unlocked 4WD encourages thoughtful line selection and in the long run makes a better driver of you rather than the 'lock stomp and steer' driving style lockers ecourage. sure lockers are great and they make a helluvalotta traction from seemingly nowhere, but they are definitely not needed for the average punter looking to have a good time.

|

9/25/2016 12:41 AM

Lockers, or you're just playing yourself.... lol

35's and a 6in lift isn't going to do shit if you start pizza cutting with 2 open diffs...

With that said, you can still have fun and not get stuck without lockers, but eventually you will "wish" you had them (at the very least in the front).

|

9/26/2016 12:20 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

35's and a 6in lift isn't going to do shit if you start pizza cutting with 2 open diffs...

With that said, you can still have fun and not get stuck without lockers, but eventually you will "wish" you had them (at the very least in the front).

these kids dont know lol

|

9/27/2016 8:14 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

mate i wasnt saying that lockers were shit......

i was saying that as a beginner it is far better to leave lockers alone for a bit, until you have learned skills of driving without lockers (thoughtful line selection and modualtion of throttle) and then go for lockers. also, inexperienced drivers can shag entire drivelines when using lockers because they dont know how to use them properly.

yeah exactly, and that was my point smile

|

9/28/2016 12:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2016 12:37 AM

iamelvis wrote:

i was saying that as a beginner it is far better to leave lockers alone for a bit, until you have learned skills of driving without lockers (thoughtful line selection and modualtion of throttle) and then go for lockers. also, inexperienced drivers can shag entire drivelines when using lockers because they dont know how to use them properly.

Homie, you said:

"wrong. 1st: tyres and suspension."

That's not going to give you anywhere near the advantage of lockers in the front only, or F&R...

That was my point smile

Take a stock Jeep, or truck with open diffs and 35's and a lift... It will be outperformed by the same vehicle with stock suspension, 31's (even stock tires) and lockers.

The best first 2 things you can do to a stock 4wd is gears & lockers... Plenty of videos and write ups to back that up.

*Ideally you would want to do lift, tires, lockers and gears all at the same time, for an extremely capable off-road rig.*

|

9/29/2016 12:08 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Homie, you said:

That's not going to give you anywhere near the advantage of lockers in the front only, or F&R...

That was my point smile

Take a stock Jeep, or truck with open diffs and 35's and a lift... It will be outperformed by the same vehicle with stock suspension, 31's (even stock tires) and lockers.

The best first 2 things you can do to a stock 4wd is gears & lockers... Plenty of videos and write ups to back that up.

*Ideally you would want to do lift, tires, lockers and gears all at the same time, for an extremely capable off-road rig.*

lol they just dont get it. stock 4wd with no lockers is just 2wd. 1 wheel in front and 1 wheel in the rear. tires and suspension doesnt do shit if u dont have traction

|

10/7/2016 10:17 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

iamelvis wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Homie, you said:

That was my point smile

mate, im not arguing that lockers arent effective.

Hell, my locker have got me out more situations than i can remember.

lockers ARE hands down the best traction mod you can do but all im saying that lockers are not the best mod first off if you want to become a skilled and adaptable driver. tyres and suspension will increase you offroad prowess tenfold and will allow you to progress as a driver and learn the skills of offroading without lockers and you will learn how to travel as far as you can without lockers. Then once you are more experienced you can throw lockers in...... that is if you want to become a skilled driver.

what if you were on the trail, and suddenly your air compressor shits itself and next minute you dont have lockers? you are screwed. unless you learned how to drive you vehicle effectively without lockers, that is.

THAT is my point.

and that is what i meant in the first place........ i just may not have put it across like that........

|

10/8/2016 10:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2016 10:27 AM

iamelvis wrote:

mate, im not arguing that lockers arent effective.

Hell, my locker have got me out more situations than i can remember.

lockers ARE hands down the best traction mod you can do but all im saying that lockers are not the best mod first off if you want to become a skilled and adaptable driver. tyres and suspension will increase you offroad prowess tenfold and will allow you to progress as a driver and learn the skills of offroading without lockers and you will learn how to travel as far as you can without lockers. Then once you are more experienced you can throw lockers in...... that is if you want to become a skilled driver.

what if you were on the trail, and suddenly your air compressor shits itself and next minute you dont have lockers? you are screwed. unless you learned how to drive you vehicle effectively without lockers, that is.

THAT is my point.

and that is what i meant in the first place........ i just may not have put it across like that........

I totally get what your saying my dude, but my bigger "what if" would be getting stuck and going out to remote places with no lockers at all (been there).

It's all to common in America for people to spend thousands on hp, lift and tires only to get stuck and blame everything, but the fact that lockers would have more than likely got them out (over the three things previously mentioned).

Also, most people don't splurge on air lockers (unless they come factory). It's mostly hub, cable, electric and automatic lockers, but like everything it can all break anytime.

Are air lockers standard on most of the 4x4's over there? I know Kiwi's love off road shit as much as Americans.

|

10/14/2016 1:41 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I totally get what your saying my dude, but my bigger "what if" would be getting stuck and going out to remote places with no lockers at all (been there).

It's all to common in America for people to spend thousands on hp, lift and tires only to get stuck and blame everything, but the fact that lockers would have more than likely got them out (over the three things previously mentioned).

Also, most people don't splurge on air lockers (unless they come factory). It's mostly hub, cable, electric and automatic lockers, but like everything it can all break anytime.

Are air lockers standard on most of the 4x4's over there? I know Kiwi's love off road shit as much as Americans.

thats why a winch is also mandatory for any offroad vehicle. or at least travel in a convoy.

yeah totally, it is a mix of all them things that you said to build a capable 4WD....

yeah ok....

No. the standard locker in vehicles would be electric, although air lockers are strongly supported int he offroad community.

|