Skating

Related:
Create New Tag

5/25/2013 4:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/25/2013 4:15 PM

Let me start by saying I WILL always stay TRUE to bikes. So please don't give me crap.

So a friend of mine gave me a skateboard. I can't ride my bike at the moment, my tires are bald, and can't afford a new set. I've never got into skating before, so how would I start or what should I learn first? I was in my driveway today and almost face planted twice.

Also would chain lube, specifically finish dry teflon chain lube, be ok to clean the bearings?

|

Summer rustles my jimmies (:

5/25/2013 4:24 PM

Ollie. I fucking hate skating now but I've skated for about 12 years. Learn the basics, ollie, kickflip etc. I broke my ankle a while ago and can't skate anymore it can't move enough to flip the board.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/25/2013 6:58 PM

Dude.... who gives a fuck what people think.

I own a skateboard and today my tire punctured again ermm I thought about taking out my skateboard for a ride =P

Anywayz I ain't gonna hate on you and anyone who hates on skaters just for the simple fact that they skate should get hated on themselves. I don't know much about skateboard bearings but I assume it wouldn't hurt? Also make sure your trucks be good don't want your wheels to be too rigid but not to lose. tighten them to your liking.

Skate on =)

I could ollie pretty high being stationary never got the feel for doing ollies while moving

|

5/25/2013 7:31 PM

I use wd40 on my skate bearings. Learn to ollie then shove it and grinds and then whatever you want to really.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/27/2013 12:21 AM

I can only shuv-it

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

5/27/2013 1:22 PM

haul ass at a set of stairs and jump down that shit...

i very occasionally pick up a board and say im going to start again, then i never do lol

ill occasionally rip an indy down smaller set or ledge

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

5/27/2013 4:38 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

haul ass at a set of stairs and jump down that shit...

i very occasionally pick up a board and say im going to start again, ...more

Completely the same as that second line. Like a month ago i went out and bought a whole new setup because i had convinced myself i was going to start again. I've maybe touched it all of 5 times haha.

To the OP go for it, boards are fun to mess around on. Just start getting comfortable with riding and learn to ollie and manual. After that just move up to flip tricks and spins.

|

5/27/2013 5:11 PM

I've been trying to learn how to ollie but no luck really. I like to cruise around though. And will be getting a new set of tires soon!

|

Summer rustles my jimmies (:

5/28/2013 6:44 PM

sketchytravis wrote:

haul ass at a set of stairs and jump down that shit...

i very occasionally pick up a board and say im going to start again, ...more

Fad3r wrote:

Completely the same as that second line. Like a month ago i went out and bought a whole new setup because i had convinced ...more

im fortunate enough to still have all my shit so i dont have to buy a new one lol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

5/31/2013 6:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2013 6:34 PM

I think I'm going to pick up skating aside from bmx.... where do you guys buy your shiz?

I think I have to go through the whole beginner stage but this time with skating >.> Damn it's gonna suck my balls are going to go inwards.

I asked some things at a skater forum but that shit is way beyond DEAD

|

5/31/2013 6:41 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

I think I'm going to pick up skating aside from bmx.... where do you guys buy your shiz?

I think I have to go through the ...more

I buy all my shit at a local skate shop here. There's only one left ha. CCS is like the danscomp of skating.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

5/31/2013 6:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2013 6:46 PM

Four wrote:

I buy all my shit at a local skate shop here. There's only one left ha. CCS is like the danscomp of skating.

What would you say the difference is between skating and riding? Aside from the apparent ones =P

Are the falls worse? Broken bones more common? Scraping? I think I might buy a bit bigger wheels since I dislike the feel of small wheels. You know the usual =P

Hopefully during the summer I can ride my bike and if I get a good long sesh I'll bring my skateboard along first I got to learn the basics though like turning and shit like that. You can't turn fast on a skateboard can you?

|

5/31/2013 7:07 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

I think I'm going to pick up skating aside from bmx.... where do you guys buy your shiz?

I think I have to go through the ...more

Four wrote:

I buy all my shit at a local skate shop here. There's only one left ha. CCS is like the danscomp of skating.

Aav1996 wrote:

What would you say the difference is between skating and riding? Aside from the apparent ones =P

Are the falls worse? Broken ...more

You can kick out on a skateboard easier and stuff but you also have like rocks and board chips in skate parks. Big wheels are more for like bowl/halfpipe riding and cruzing and stuff like that. I used like 50mm wheels the highest i went was 54 they were pretty big (just make sure you know what your buying like soft wheels or hard wheels) . Just preference though. I like skating because it's easy to setup a board, easy maintenance and stuff doesn't cost as nearly as much as bmx parts and there are really no parks that allow bikes that are good. :/

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

5/31/2013 8:54 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

You can kick out on a skateboard easier and stuff but you also have like rocks and board chips in skate parks. Big wheels are ...more

Yeah that's what I don't like about it =P I got 53mm on my current setup but if I do decide to go through with it and start skating like I ride then i think I'll build my own set up. Might buy 56mm or 57mm I think they're still street capable after all it's a freestyle sport make due with what you like =P

|

5/31/2013 9:03 PM

Aav1996 wrote:

What would you say the difference is between skating and riding? Aside from the apparent ones =P

Are the falls worse? Broken ...more

Skating is less fun for me, it's easier to get the basics but there's a lot less good spots to ride, and it fucks up your shoes a lot faster.

Nope, you can pretty much catch yourself on most falls and ditch the board easier. I have yet to break a bone skating, scraping is common especially elbows ha. I rode small wheels because I liked the board to flip easier.

I'm currently waiting on parts to build my bike again but can't skate due to fucking my ankle up, I don't really like skating anymore though. You can turn pretty fast just get used to the feeling and board control.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/1/2013 4:53 AM

skating is fun but its hard to skate where i live because every sidewalk or bike lane has sand and rocks everywhere so its hard to get around on a board.

|

I dont say stupid things, just no one knows what im talking about.

6/3/2013 5:26 PM

it all depends on how you skate and bail for how bad you get hurt... ive bailed from like 15 feet on a board and didn't have shit happen, ive also been launched 15 feet and fucked my shit up... you tend to do more ankle and wrist damage though

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/3/2013 7:57 PM

If you skate here you need longboard wheels lollll.
If I could afford a nice board I'd pick up skating again I skated from like 5th-9th grade. Biking kinda took over completely though and I lost my board.

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert