Your mountain bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2015 3:27 PM

What do you guys mountain bike on? I ride a Specialized Hard Rock. The only aftermarket parts would be the specialized Bucky pedals, and a front tire I forgot the name of. Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

8/6/2015 6:39 PM

I got a specialized stumpjumper 2006. I've also only upgraded the pedals and grips (Might snag my brothers spare xtr brakeset).

|

8/6/2015 6:50 PM

Oh forgot to mention the pedals are upgraded to shimano saint pedal and grips are odi lock on grips.
Photo

|

8/7/2015 8:00 AM

This is funny.

I also have a Specialized. When will we see Yetis, Santa Cruz, Treks, Foes, BMCs, Hypers, etc?

I've got the Specialized Rockhopper Expert late 2012, early 2013...

The cream of the crop of the Rockhopper model (the Expert), I have hydraulic shimano disc brakes, very good parts, a superb, no-frills RockShox XC-30-TK-SL coil fork (that I prefer over air suspension for it's small bump compliance). Will convert to tubeless soon when I have more than 10 punctures.

Very good bike. I am happy I got it right before the 29er version ( I actually have two of the bikes, one for me, one for my dad. They are the exact same bikes, but they don't feel the same...). I had another cheap one before, a pic if I can find the wreck somewhere in the garden XD. Had been MTBking since birth, i'm a new BMXer but an old mtbker.....

Have lock on ODI Ruffian grips, cleats, and thats it.

Replaced tires and chain already.

Have raced 2 times. First race ended up in the lower 2/3rds. Second, smaller race, was not national, got 6th place out of 28, happy, but if I had had a better start, i could have got 5th or 4th...

Sorry for photo, will take another when the light hits, and if I don't forget. Photo

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

8/7/2015 8:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2015 8:08 AM

PS: All your seats look wayy low. Get it positioned properly, because you can destroy your knees...badly.

As a general rule, it has to be set high enough so you don't have your whole foot on the ground, so you are only tiptoeing (on one foot only). Then get it down like 1 or 2 cm for ease when tackling the descents.

And the pedal has never got to bite in the middle of the shoes, but they need to be under the ball of your feet, the place where it is widest.

But I am stopping myself... You guys must already know about all that, you are real mtbikers.

|

8/7/2015 9:55 AM

Skylight wrote:

PS: All your seats look wayy low. Get it positioned properly, because you can destroy your knees...badly.

As a general rule, ...more

I took that picture after a jumping trail ride. I know how to fit myself to a bike. You are going by basic rules, not actual fitting and kinetics stuff. I've gotten a professional bike fit, and we know what to set my seat to as I grow. And I'm only around five foot six or seven. My pedals are fine on the middle of my feet. Bike fit guy here (he was one of the original people to found mountain biking, legitimately) said so. It is true that on the ball of your feet is where you can make the most of your power, but even clipless mtb shoes have the clips set farther back than road shoes.

|

8/7/2015 2:13 PM

My older brother last year got into mtbing again so ended up buying a fuck ton of bikes (6) for relatively cheap. He bought a 2005 s works stumpjumper for 580. A 2013 Niner for around 800. A 2008 santa cruz bullit with saint everything for 500. These are the only ones I can think of at of my head. Oh he also bought a turner for 400 off some rich kid who cracked the frame. The turner had xtr everything Chris king hubs/ headset all almost new.

|

8/8/2015 10:10 PM

Skylight wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

I took that picture after a jumping trail ride. I know how to fit myself to a bike. You are going by basic rules, not actual ...more

Yeah well those are the basic rules.

Not the real, hardcore ones. I could go on and on about them.

Good for you to know all that then.

But I still disagree for the pedal placement.

Sorry, but my MTB clipless shoes have the cleats correctly positioned under the ball of the feet. Its not all about power, its about correct knee placement.

|

8/8/2015 11:46 PM

Photo

Really want this bad boy . But I need a car and could use another BMX bike to have different variety. This is a Kona something . Wouldn't mind one just to cruise around and get to places without needing to kill my back
|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/9/2015 5:32 AM

That aint a MTB.

Looks more like a cross bike or a city commuter.

|

8/9/2015 8:09 AM

Skylight wrote:

That aint a MTB.

I think he knows that..

|

We out here breathing. -Bert

8/9/2015 8:51 AM

Skylight wrote:

That aint a MTB.

iFit wrote:

I think he knows that..

I think he knows that too.

Heck, even a 1 year old should know.

Heck, I just wanted to give some precision, man.

It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

|

8/9/2015 6:51 PM

Skylight wrote:

That aint a MTB.

iFit wrote:

I think he knows that..

Skylight wrote:

I think he knows that too.

Heck, even a 1 year old should know.

Heck, I just wanted to give some precision, man.

It's like ...more

Ight my bad

|

We out here breathing. -Bert

8/9/2015 6:52 PM

Skylight wrote:

That aint a MTB.

Gravel bike or cycle-cross, probably, I'd consider that a mountain bike. Not a traditional mountain bike, but I see lots of dudes ripping on stuff like that up here. Tahoe is one of the mountain bike meccas of America.

|

8/10/2015 1:06 AM

I had a Kona Shonky if you care to know but I think BMX is my dedication for now and a "commuter" bike would be for fun

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/10/2015 10:26 AM

I've got a Giant Warp DS1 and a Scott Aspect 45. Nothing fancy, both get the job done decently.

|

8/10/2015 1:07 PM

sbc785 wrote:

I've got a Giant Warp DS1 and a Scott Aspect 45. Nothing fancy, both get the job done decently.

I thought you quit mtb and bmx for dirt Biking?

|

8/11/2015 11:27 AM

I've always raced MX, i'll never quit BMX, i just quit riding a 20" because it hurt my back so bad. I'm gonna build a 26" DJ soon.

|

8/11/2015 11:40 AM

I got these 2 to stay in shape again

Photo
Photo

bonus, my CR250

Photo

|

8/11/2015 12:15 PM

Ahh did you just pick up the scott?

|

8/12/2015 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2015 11:50 AM

Skylight wrote:

You should have a slight bend in your knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke when on the ball of your foot. A good rule of thumb would be placing your HEEL on the pedal (centered) and having it at the BOTTOM of the pedal stroke with a straight leg. THEN when your seat is locked in, riding with the pedal at the ball of your foot gets you very close to ideal position. This is a GENERAL idea of where to put it for efficiency. If you stand only and decend mainly (downhill) it is less important. Hence the Dropper posts many companies have out not.

However having a 3d fit done (many Specialized dealers have this option-costs around 200-400 usd) where they use motion capture to identify and clear up any discrections or incorrect motions (side to side knee movement, which can be as simple as cleat location on clipless pedals, spacers etc), proper stem height and reach based on your size as well as flexibility, and they even account for previous injuries that may cause differences side to side.

For instance my left leg is a cm longer than my right, my hips are twisted and rotated forward (part of my back issue), I destroyed my right shoulder, and have a bad left ankle. All factored hugely into how my bike is set up. When I first got that bike I thought I should run my stem on my bike up at the +8 degree marker, and run a 120mm stem for comfort. I actually need a 140 mm stem, and down at the -8 stem angle. On top of that I should be on a 58cm road bike, but basic sizing would dictate a 56cm. I have one cleat centered and angled toe in, and the other is slammed all the way back and toe out, to eliminate side to side knee bobbing. My saddle is around 22 cm above the top tube, AND it is rotated SLIGHTLY nose down. Just hopping on a bike and adjusting seat height is good for some shorter, more basic stuff, but if you are going to get serious into it, look into the 3D fit options. When you hit the sweet spot, it's like your body sighs relief. It's insane what can be done with a shim and some tweaks.

Also cleat location is not just about one thing or the other as it seems was stated in another post, it is ALL of the reasons, position of your knee, kinetics, comfort, endurance, power and so on. If you have everything correctly placed (which can change over time) you can maximize all of the above.

Also I ride a Specialized Tricross Sport from 2010. It is a freeroad bike (basically a CX setup). Had a Rockhopper, and when I was a shop employee, I had a 2013 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 29 for a season.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/12/2015 11:55 AM

[LINK TO IMAGE]

This is my everything but bmx setup.
|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/13/2015 4:20 PM

dave lawrence wrote: [LINK TO IMAGE]

This is my everything but bmx setup.

Is that the one with the Special insert in the fork to absorb shock?

|

8/16/2015 9:19 AM

Photo

My work bike !
|

8/16/2015 4:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/16/2015 4:36 PM

This is my mountainbike. I was focused more on MTB the past few years. now i started to enjoy BMX again. Its a Cube Elite Pro from 2012 and i've upgraded the brakes to Hope race x2 and did some colourmatching here and there.
Photo

|

8/16/2015 4:35 PM

Daliracing wrote:

This is my mountainbike. I was focused more on MTB the past few years. now i started to enjoy BMX again. Its a Cube Elite Pro ...more

Ohmygod it's beautiful

|

8/16/2015 4:40 PM

Daliracing wrote:

This is my mountainbike. I was focused more on MTB the past few years. now i started to enjoy BMX again. Its a Cube Elite Pro ...more

Some extra pics:
Photo
Photo
The skinwalls are on the bike now and they feel nice!

|

8/16/2015 4:42 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

Ohmygod it's beautiful

Thanks alot!

|

8/16/2015 4:48 PM

That shits is fucking nice.

|

8/16/2015 4:56 PM

Ahh skeet skeet wrote:

That shits is fucking nice.