what phone should I get?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/22/2014 4:21 AM

What phones do you guys use? what one should I get for Christmas?

|

11/22/2014 8:34 AM

I use the cheapest windows phone. Windows phones arent bad, but there arent many apps offered for them yet. The more expensive ones have some nice cameras though.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/22/2014 8:43 AM

The source just hooked me up with an iPhone 5 for free , it's not to bad

|

11/22/2014 10:34 AM

Lg g2 is around 200€ in alliexpress.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

11/22/2014 11:25 AM

What's the video like on the iphone 5? I can get one for €250 with a new screen? Slow motion?

|

11/22/2014 11:40 AM

Get a refurbished s3. Nice video.

|

11/22/2014 12:21 PM

Get a note I got the s5 its cool

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

11/22/2014 12:51 PM

Highest end samsung out, always the best plan. I've been on a 100$ samsung for 4 years and im pretty sure its been run over by my car, on top of me throwing it at people

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

11/22/2014 12:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2014 12:59 PM

If you're into rooting, get a Note 3 or Note 4 and get Touchwiz right the fuck off the phone. If you don't root, avoid Samsung phones. They're incredibly slow due to the heaviness of Touchwiz and slow down even more after only a couple months.

If it's just video and photo quality you're after, you can't go better than iPhones, especially the new ones. I would avoid the 6 Plus if you carry your phone in your pocket while riding. It's just too big and a bit too fragile. I have an iPhone 6 and love it. iPhones are also the fastest phones you can buy, and if you have a Mac, Continuity is incredible.

If you're into playing a lot of games and watching a lot of video on your phone, go for an HTC One M8. Great battery life, nice screen, and the best speakers on any phone. But the camera is one of the worst in any flagship phones you can get now.

If you don't need the absolute best, go for a Nexus 5 or LG G2. The unlocked Nexus 5 is just a bit more than other flagships on contract. It doesn't have the best battery life or camera but it's good enough. You could also go for an iPhone 5 or 5s but the screen is way too small for me.

|

11/22/2014 1:41 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

If you're into rooting, get a Note 3 or Note 4 and get Touchwiz right the fuck off the phone. If you don't root, avoid Samsung ...more

Well I'll probably get an iPhone 5 for €250 with a new screen ($309) don't really care about the speakers on it because music will be played with headphones.

You think I'd be able to bang out a decent edit with just the iPhone camera and a macro lens with some minor editing

|

11/22/2014 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2014 2:05 PM

kaneBMX wrote:

Well I'll probably get an iPhone 5 for 250 with a new screen ($309) don't really care about the speakers on it because music ...more

The speaker is much more important than you think, luckily the 5 has a pretty decent speaker. The iPhone 5 video won't be any better than any other phone. It just won't make great videos. If you want to make good videos, get a camera. The iPhone 5 is enough for like Instagram videos and such but if you're doing anything even halfway serious you'll want something better.

The best phone you can get for video is the iPhone 6. Cinematic video stabilization makes a huge difference and it focuses and adjusts exposure super quickly.

Here's a shitty iPhone 6 sample... I was walking pretty fast as I recorded this, so the stabilization did a great job.

Let it process a bit before you judge the quality.
|

11/22/2014 4:35 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

If you're into rooting, get a Note 3 or Note 4 and get Touchwiz right the fuck off the phone. If you don't root, avoid Samsung ...more

i will agree with the samsung comment
its the only reason my s5 hasn't already been tossed in the trash
the bad part about the htc one is some of the overheating issues people have been having, but if that's not true with the newest version, I say go for the htc one, m8

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/22/2014 4:56 PM

I'd just get an iPhone, honestly. I got an iPhone last year and I don't plan to go back to Android.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

11/22/2014 5:28 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

kaneBMX wrote:

Well I'll probably get an iPhone 5 for 250 with a new screen ($309) don't really care about the speakers on it because music ...more

Xxohioanxx wrote:

The speaker is much more important than you think, luckily the 5 has a pretty decent speaker. The iPhone 5 video won't be any ...more

Good street spots in your town, spotted 2 rails to the left and a nice ledge to the right

|

11/22/2014 10:09 PM

idk. id just get one of the cheaper android phones. look up any reliability issues...

whatever is the best bang for buck

or a casio. I loved muh casio when I had one... but that was one of the non smartphone ones

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

11/29/2014 12:44 PM

iPhone 5 64gb for video,games,apps. I have it haven't filled it up yet.

|

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (Ecclesiastes 12:7 KJV)
Sold to: storeboughtchild,Maximusbikes,cro tec,Showtime402,Kevinbrock338,dktechethan,Robinson79
Traded: livefreeordie2332(x2), Aebasher.
TXT Me (480)340-7551

11/29/2014 1:45 PM

i filmed a friend today with my s5 and it actually puts out decent footage
not edit quality, but still really nice 4k video

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/29/2014 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 4:33 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

Highest end samsung out, always the best plan. I've been on a 100$ samsung for 4 years and im pretty sure its been run over by ...more

I broke my first smartphone today. My alarm went off and i decided it was a good idea to full force slam it into my desk as i've done before, this time the alarm went off and i was like FFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKKK. It still works, theres some dead pixels and the display is fucked up but all the touch stuff works and its not physically cracked.

Hoping for an s5 but will settle for anything decent that can run my basic 50+ youtube vids a day and instagram without any lag and can take halfway decent pictures.

|

Instagram

11/29/2014 4:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 4:37 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

I broke my first smartphone today. My alarm went off and i decided it was a good idea to full force slam it into my desk as ...more

Don't get a Samsung phone if you don't want lag or stutters haha. The S5 and Note 4 are the fastest Samsung phones in the past few years but they're still way behind the rest in terms of day to day use.

A Moto X would be pretty good and they're gonna be like $140 off on Monday. You can customize them in a ton of different ways, too. It's one of the fastest Android phones you can get, and it runs stock Android with no extra skins so it's really smooth.

|

11/29/2014 4:42 PM

ill vouch for the quality of the moto x
but my s5 is fast af after i changed my launcher

|

11/29/2014 4:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 4:45 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

ill vouch for the quality of the moto x
but my s5 is fast af after i changed my launcher

A launcher only helps so much. If you rooted it and threw stock Android on there it would be even faster.

I just love how the Moto X feels. Doesn't have the best camera or the best battery life but for like $375 off contract on Monday, that's a kick ass deal.

The only reason I didn't get a Moto X is because I wanted Continuity with Mac and iPhone. Just makes life easier. If I didn't have a Mac I definitely would have gone with a Moto X.

|

11/29/2014 5:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 5:13 PM

note 4 i would highly recommend , for the camera it is 16 mp and one of the few phones that shoot in 4k, and has really nice stabilization ,so you can make a really nice edit
as for the phone itself in benchmark test it scores faster than the iphone 6 and has 3 gigs of ram so switching between apps is really smooth .
The screen is quad HD and one of the highest resolutions you can get on a phone .
Last the battery is 3200 milliamps so it should easily last through a day of heavy use .
Edit: note 4 has a removable sd card that expands up to 128 gigs

|

11/29/2014 5:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 5:34 PM

I'm looking at other samsung options, My mom abuses a samsung galaxy exhibhit or one of those more budget based galaxies pretty bad on a daily basis, i had my samsung dart for like 4 years and albeit slower than shit it was durable & my Galaxy note 10.1 has been good to me over the past 2 or so years and is still about quick enough for me, especially after restoring it.

I tend to stick to brands that have been good to me, sony was for tv's & i guess ps2 sorta counts, their laptops however are complete shit and i have killed 2 higher end ones, three overheated harddrives running just simple stuff & one had 2 harddrives both dying out of no where with no known cause, i ran speedfan (?) or something and they always ran higher than i'd have liked. This is why i'm skeptical on buying a sony phone.

A note 3 sounds good but i havent compared how much worse it is than an s5, it's like 200$ cheaper upfront.
I'm kind of on that line between a iphone 5s or 6 except android edition. Or i guess s4 vs s5 except if i remember right the note 3 is way ahead of the s4. Phablet or not i think i could handle it, I won't be riding with the s5 due to price and won't be riding with a note 3 due to size.

If you can convert me to another brand, hats off to you.

|

Instagram

11/29/2014 5:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 5:34 PM

if your phone has a qualcomm processor make sure to get their battery saving app on google play
it learns your locations and time relating to usage and 4g/wifi use and will disable and enable them based on location as well as time, and it prevents apps from refreshing after the screen has been off for a set amount of time
im getting more than double my battery life
also make sure to use application clearers to free up ram and save more battery
2999th post!
edit: make sure to get a case like an otterbox as well as screen protectors, its the reason i feel comfortable riding with my s5 because ive dropped it so many damn times and its always been fine

|

11/29/2014 5:46 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

I'm looking at other samsung options, My mom abuses a samsung galaxy exhibhit or one of those more budget based galaxies ...more

So what size phome are you looking for ?

|

11/29/2014 5:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 5:52 PM

chad88 wrote:

note 4 i would highly recommend , for the camera it is 16 mp and one of the few phones that shoot in 4k, and has really nice ...more

The Note 4 doesn't benchmark faster than the iPhone 6. Maybe a test or two, but the iPhone is by far the fastest phone out. Android is very, very inefficient compared to iOS, plus Apple controls both hardware and software, which is why iPhones are the fastest. Also, Samsung has been known to cheat benchmarks. Even then, benchmarks are not a good indicator of day to day use. Just look at the multitasking lag of the Note 4.

Honestly Brandon, I would not get any Android phone right now. I would wait until next year. Android L supports 64-bit, and no Android phone right now has 64-bit hardware. Next years Android phones will be a massive improvement compared to this year's. If you're not into iPhones, you could pick up a Nexus 5 off contract or get a 2013 Moto X. Neither are that great, but they'll be good until you can get a 64-bit Android phone next year.

Just look at the rumored specs for the Note 5, 6" 4k screen, at least a 64 bit Snapdragon 810, at least 4 GB of RAM, pretty kick ass. Probably gonna pick one up.

|

11/29/2014 5:54 PM

chad88 wrote:

So what size phome are you looking for ?

Honestly don't even know, probably somewhere around the main galaxy s line but i like some of the phablet features and processors better, but at the cost of being like a calculator stuffed in my pocket, trying to decide size is tough for me.

|

Instagram

11/29/2014 6:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 6:11 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

The Note 4 doesn't benchmark faster than the iPhone 6. Maybe a test or two, but the iPhone is by far the fastest phone out. ...more

As soon as i start my job i'm gonna get "you have a job you can buy it yourself" so i'm trying to get it before that shit starts.

I was debating the note 3 vs s5 but now i'm not sure what i'm gonna do, looking at all options but i don't know if i want my mom to drop a decent amount of money on a phone that's more than i really need, in reality i only use youtube,a browser,instagram & kik for almost everything, i would rather have a good enough phone that takes decent pics and runs everything smoothly with a overpowered tablet at home than having a overpowered phone and slow tablet, less risk of the tablet being stolen since i would/do keep mine at home and i don't sit with 15 apps open and watch videos at the same time on a phone like i do my tablet.

I'm just sorta rambling on at this point.

|

Instagram

11/29/2014 6:09 PM

TheBrandonFranke wrote:

As soon as i start my job i'm gonna get "you have a job you can buy it yourself" so i'm trying to get it before that shit ...more

I'd go for an iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, 2014 Moto X, or Nexus 6 in that case. It sounds like you don't need the Samsung gimmicks... well, no one really does but still lol. iOS and stock Android phones are the fastest phones you'll find and they do things like internet browsing, Youtube, Instagram, etc. better than any other phones. All of those phones have great cameras too, but the iPhones are still the better of the four. But low-mid range phones will still be good enough for you if you really don't want to spend that much.

Between those four, it really comes down to what you want. The iPhone 5S is, of course, the smallest so that's good if you want to use your phone one handed. The iPhone 6 and Moto X are a similar size, it just comes down to how much you use Google services. If you use a ton of Google services, go with the Moto X. The Nexus 6 is a giant ass phone with stereo front facing speakers, so it'll be awesome if you watch a lot of videos or browse the internet all the time.

|

11/29/2014 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 6:23 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I'd go for an iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, 2014 Moto X, or Nexus 6 in that case. It sounds like you don't need the Samsung gimmicks... ...more

Thanks man, i'm gonna look into all those, plus The note 3 and possibly s5. I've been on samsung stuff pretty happily for 4 years now so i gotta see if i can handle moving over onto something different, and hopefully better (Gorilla glass is a big thing to me too), all of them have pros and cons i have to debate.
Watching lots of videos is an understatement, except its when i'm home, on my note 10.1. If i had a phone that didn't make me look blind trying to watch videos that might change though lol

|

Instagram