Build or buy?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/11/2017 11:36 PM

I have what appears to be a Schwin Predator from 1982. Naturally as a 15 y.o with all the time in the world. I wanted to buy new parts for it to make it retro with a splash of modern, but it seems to me that modern parts really dont fit on it, and those that do are way to expensive. Should i buy a "modern" bmx? or spend lots of money and build the one i have now? Thanks in advance
Similar bike (already sold)
[url=http://m.ebay.com/itm/272738841813]Photo

|

7/16/2017 5:51 AM

Option i would go with would be just spend some time on restoring your schwinn back to a nice standard like the one above and buy a modern bike, a modern bike will take a fair bit more "abuse" if your wanting to jump it out quarters or do anything where your putting a lot of stress on it, where as doing the same on something that was designed as a kids bike in the early 80's with 35 year old welds i would be a bit more worried about shit breaking on it, would make a nice cruiser for those day where you want to ride but not go crazy like if your healing from falling off the other one lol

|

7/18/2017 3:39 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

Option i would go with would be just spend some time on restoring your schwinn back to a nice standard like the one above and buy a modern bike, a modern bike will take a fair bit more "abuse" if your wanting to jump it out quarters or do anything where your putting a lot of stress on it, where as doing the same on something that was designed as a kids bike in the early 80's with 35 year old welds i would be a bit more worried about shit breaking on it, would make a nice cruiser for those day where you want to ride but not go crazy like if your healing from falling off the other one lol

I might as well do that, i race it casually nothing too serious.

|

9/5/2017 12:04 AM

Luis_Encerrado wrote:

I have what appears to be a Schwin Predator from 1982. Naturally as a 15 y.o with all the time in the world. I wanted to buy new parts for it to make it retro with a splash of modern, but it seems to me that modern parts really dont fit on it, and those that do are way to expensive. Should i buy a "modern" bmx? or spend lots of money and build the one i have now? Thanks in advance
Similar bike (already sold)
[url=http://m.ebay.com/itm/272738841813]Photo

Im actually doing something similar! I just picked up an older GT bike, like 97 or so. Im Updating it and turning it into my cruiser.

Gonna be a cool conversation peice.

If youre actually considering riding it street and doing bigger tricks than bunnyhops and manuals/wheelies id say buy a decent complete and rellace the part that break with top shelf stuff. Or hit up craigslist and find a used bike that is close to what youre looking for and go from there.

|