Retro build with modern parts.

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2017 11:59 AM

This is my Mid/Newschool build I just now finished. Costed me a pretty penny to bring it up to modern times features-wise.

Im here to ask, would this or does this upset anyone that I basically ripped a complete older bike apart and frankenstiened it to resemble a bike youd see rolling around today?

Or are you on the other side of the spectrum and think its cool?

Just want some opinions.

This will be my backup/cruising bike for when my main is down or Im going to an area where there is a strong possibility of theft.

I still have all the old parts if anyone is interested in them,
Pedals, bars, headset, back wheel, chromoly 1 peice cranks, bb, old seat, cut seat post, brake levers etc.Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/21/2017 5:30 AM

I don't see why anyone would be upset. Unlike the dude earlier who wanted to "grind off his brake & gyro bosses..." on his (potentially) collectible mid-school, It isn't like it couldn't be put back to it's original state. I rode the shit out of my old school bikes & if it weren't for modern day advances, I probably still would. Personally, I think it's cool.

|

9/21/2017 11:57 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I don't see why anyone would be upset. Unlike the dude earlier who wanted to "grind off his brake & gyro bosses..." on his ...more

I gave a frame to a friend recently. It was by no means old...probably like 2011 or something. Anyway, he "broke" his brakes and I find out later he had only broken the lever off. I rode with him a little while after that and he had crushed the brake posts and tried removing them with crude tools... they were welded on. He ruined that frame lol

I did give it to him but I ended up giving him another frame after he regretted what he did to the brakes and he gave me the cut frame back. I filed down the remainder of the posts and stripped re-painted the frame and sold it to a friend that wanted to ride brakeless...

Of course now he misses his brakes from his old bike and doesnt like to hit dirt jumps anymore because he cant slow down...

This brakeless stuff doesnt make sense to me. Lol

|

9/22/2017 6:53 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I gave a frame to a friend recently. It was by no means old...probably like 2011 or something. Anyway, he "broke" his brakes ...more

I have always ridden brakes in one form or another. & when I started riding "freestyle" front brakes were "essential". I still like front brakes. I know it isn't the norm & a lot of people give people shit about it but hey, what do I care what you want to do with your bike? My only concern is the integrity of the bike in the long run (as in, don't screw over a frame for the future). You can always just buy a new frame without brake bosses, gyro tabs, etc...

|

9/22/2017 11:55 AM

bike looks awesome and im sure it rides awesome, nothing to be upset about here

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

9/22/2017 12:07 PM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

I was more or less wondering if it upset like mid-school riders that would have rather kept it original. But glad to hear you like it! Its definitely something people are gonna ask about when i get riding again.

Do you know about this frame at all? Is it worthy of street abuse or park riding?

|

1/23/2018 12:04 AM

Sorry Broseph ...

|

3/20/2018 11:10 AM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I was more or less wondering if it upset like mid-school riders that would have rather kept it original. But glad to hear you ...more

Looks like the sticker on the seatpost tube says something of chromoly I think I can't really make it out except the numbers

|

3/20/2018 12:41 PM

bmxer_yoshi wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I was more or less wondering if it upset like mid-school riders that would have rather kept it original. But glad to hear you ...more

Ronnie06srt8 wrote:

Looks like the sticker on the seatpost tube says something of chromoly I think I can't really make it out except the numbers

It does indeed say 4130. As you said, its hard to make out the rest. smile

|

4/13/2018 3:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2018 3:28 PM

If that frame fits ride it. If youre worried about collectible value, park it and look at it.... Really its an afternoon to swap it all back if you hang onto the stuff.
The updates are great, takes some weight off. Midschool: 48 spoke triple wall with high flange and short narrow bars. Damn. heavy weight parts, and goofy little bars, glad thats over.

I have a few 39/14 frames, throw a topload stem and 9" bars on and theyre great riders.

|

1/26/2021 1:51 PM

I'm doing about the exact opposite, I have a 2019? (not sure on the year) medieval warlord, onto which I have put bone deth bottom feeder v2 990 forks, front brakes, and a mongoose aluminum mag front wheel. I am looking into getting a chrome bone deth ph48, chrome deadman bars, a terrible 1 stem, a profile blackjack sprocket, primo power bites (or the shadow or eclat ones, whatever I find first), and the new t1xanimal tires. love that midschool durability, but I also love my modern geometry.

|

2/5/2021 8:14 AM

Looks killer man .. do what you want on your bike..
I love the OS BMX stuff considering that's the era i grew up in... but the new Geo and parts just ride better. So I've been building new school Retro's.
They look Old School but ride sooo much better
Photo

|

2/11/2021 6:25 PM

Amen! Yes the new geo and parts are SO much better riding. My daily rider is a modern retro Haro:

Photo
Photo

|

2/24/2021 2:06 PM

zagnut wrote:

Amen! Yes the new geo and parts are SO much better riding. My daily rider is a modern retro Haro:

Photo
Photo

That bike is simply bad ass.

|

2/26/2021 11:18 AM

zagnut wrote:

Photo
Photo

Nice!! Looks awesome!!

|

3/5/2021 10:03 PM

Thanks! It's been a fun one.

|

3/30/2021 3:33 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

This is my Mid/Newschool build I just now finished. Costed me a pretty penny to bring it up to modern times features-wise.

Im ...more

Bro who cares about what anybody thinks about what you do with your own bike s***'s yours Tell people to bite it...

|

J. Stjohn

3/30/2021 3:37 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Im ...more

But then again that's a 4130 chromoly race bike. If you would of spent that money on fixing up the bike like it was built to be, you would have a bad ass raceing bike. BTW is that a Robinson?

|

J. Stjohn

3/30/2021 3:39 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I don't see why anyone would be upset. Unlike the dude earlier who wanted to "grind off his brake & gyro bosses..." on his ...more

Lmao

|

J. Stjohn