Is it a good idea to upgrade an old/mid school bmx

Related:
Create New Tag

2/13/2020 11:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 10:20 AM

I have a mongoose menace (which I know is probably mostly crap) but is it a good idea to fit some new double wall wheels, tyres, stem, headset, seat post, seat, chain, crankset, chromoly forks; prettty much everything except handlebars and frame, which totals up to about £280. I am kinda new to this stuff so I really need some guidance. Also can someone recommend some quality affordable bmx crankset (36T)

|

2/18/2020 3:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2020 3:05 AM

mongoose menace was my first bmx, bck in like 96. i love that bike. do it up man. thats way before mongoose was bought out by walmart. this is when mongoose was the sunday of today. top of the line.
got pics?

|

2/18/2020 11:54 AM

I got back into BMX about a year ago, when my daughter wanted to ride.

I had a mid/old school Hoffman frame that I got in 2000 and started upgrading everything with new-school parts (including STI headset and American-Mid bottom bracket cups). It got to the point where everything was new school except for the frame/forks.

I now rock an S&M and love both the newer geometry and also the parts just fit together seamlessly without interface components.

IMO the newer components are much easier DIY maintenance and just feel more comfortable.

|