Just Like Starting Over

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2020 5:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2020 6:01 PM

Long story short I'm loving the simple things in life again... BMX!

Now the long story...
I raced bmx throughout the '80s. I really got into freestyle in the mid 80s thanks to RL Osborne and the likes. I went into the Marine Corps in 1987 and had a 4 year hiatus from riding. I ended up in the Army for 19 years and rode whenever I had the chance. Well I put the riding behind me at 32-33 years of age. Now the desire never went away. Never. So after 3 years worth of Scotty Cranmer videos among a slew of others I bought another bike at 51. It's a 2021 Kink Launch and I couldn't be happier. I went easy on my wallet because I wasn't sure if I could handle it ๐Ÿ˜‚.

My 36" bunny hop has dwendled down to about 10" lol and how the hell do these kids make manuals look so easy!? I'm sore and I can't quit smiling. It's father's day and all I can think about is tonight's session! Anyway, I'm stoked!

|

6/21/2020 12:28 PM

I here ya. I got back into it at 53 mainly to cruise around with one of my sons. The other son got me into long boarding which is pretty cool too.
My bunny hop has also dwindled quite a bit. I can manage a decent manual, but my kid makes me look like a novice.
I wish there was an middle age BMX group in my area that I could connect with. I get the funniest looks from people when I go out cruising. It's like give it up pops, your too old for that shit!

|

6/21/2020 1:49 PM

williambmac wrote:

I here ya. I got back into it at 53 mainly to cruise around with one of my sons. The other son got me into long boarding which is pretty cool too.
My bunny hop has also dwindled quite a bit. I can manage a decent manual, but my kid makes me look like a novice.
I wish there was an middle age BMX group in my area that I could connect with. I get the funniest looks from people when I go out cruising. It's like give it up pops, your too old for that shit!

The OGs.

|

7/12/2020 3:51 PM

I just decided to get a BMX, having last rode one in 1985. I have always wanted to get one again, but kept putting it off. Having just turned 50, it seemed like the time. wink I never really got into freestyle, but used to race at a nearby dirt track. My bunny hop was never particularly big, but even that has dwindled. wink Still, it has been fun, so far, and I'll be taking it to the local skate park soon. Having ridden primarily dirt, back in the day, the tires feel over inflated, but I think I just need to get used to it.

|

7/13/2020 4:58 AM

I'm starting to get a crew! Another of my homies got a bike yesterday!! Mid school Redline. I'm stoked!

|

7/13/2020 8:12 AM

shupe13 wrote:

I'm starting to get a crew! Another of my homies got a bike yesterday!! Mid school Redline. I'm stoked!

Nice! I have been unsuccessful, thus far. One of my friends just got a mild road bike, and I said I would go riding with him, though keeping up may be a challenge. wink Another friend said he might get a mountain bike. The problem is that none of my local friends used to ride BMX, so getting them to buy a BMX when in their 40s is a challenge.

|

7/13/2020 12:11 PM

shupe13 wrote:

Bishamon wrote:

Nice! I have been unsuccessful, thus far. One of my friends just got a mild road bike, and I said I would go riding with him, though keeping up may be a challenge. wink Another friend said he might get a mountain bike. The problem is that none of my local friends used to ride BMX, so getting them to buy a BMX when in their 40s is a challenge.

Get new friends brother.๐Ÿ˜‰

|

7/13/2020 12:20 PM

Honestly it blows my mind how easy it's been to find like-minded friends.

|

8/5/2020 1:25 PM

shupe13 wrote:

Long story short I'm loving the simple things in life again... BMX!

Now the long story...
I raced bmx throughout the '80s. I really got into freestyle in the mid 80s thanks to RL Osborne and the likes. I went into the Marine Corps in 1987 and had a 4 year hiatus from riding. I ended up in the Army for 19 years and rode whenever I had the chance. Well I put the riding behind me at 32-33 years of age. Now the desire never went away. Never. So after 3 years worth of Scotty Cranmer videos among a slew of others I bought another bike at 51. It's a 2021 Kink Launch and I couldn't be happier. I went easy on my wallet because I wasn't sure if I could handle it ๐Ÿ˜‚.

My 36" bunny hop has dwendled down to about 10" lol and how the hell do these kids make manuals look so easy!? I'm sore and I can't quit smiling. It's father's day and all I can think about is tonight's session! Anyway, I'm stoked!

I here ya, raced bmx with my brother back in 82. Fell in love with freestyle in 83, rode RL 20 in pink. I just recently got myself a new WE THE PEOPLE PARADOX. Took it to the skatepark a few times now. Difference now I am about 30lbs heavier than When I was at 17, so my bunny hop is only 12โ€ now, and my biceps are burning after a 2 hr session, developed tennis elbow too. Getting old sucks ass. This new generation of bikes have these short rear ends, my 87โ€™ HARO master was like 14-15โ€ now at 13โ€ Iโ€™m always looping out on mannies, gonna sell my frame and find something with a longer tail. This generation of rider can take more of a beating, because some of these guys slam so hard, it looks bone crushing to me as a 50 year old woman. STILL LOVE BMX though....

|