Old School Diamondback

Related:
Create New Tag

11/7/2020 7:55 PM

I remember being a 10 year old kid with my first real BMX..a Team Murray. In my eyes it wasn't the "best bike" but it was better than the banana seat bike I had previously. I remember the first time I saw one of the "pro bike" brands, I nearly flipped my lid. Two brothers who lived near, me both got new bikes for Christmas and both of them were Diamondbacks. One was a Diamondback II and the other was a Diamondback Turbo. They were so shiny, chrome and of course they had the diamond symbol welded into the frame in the triangle between the top tube, down tube and head tube. I spent the next two years trying to figure out how would get one for myself and was so excited to see a new bike wrapped under the tree when I was 13. I had really talked up the Diamondbacks Tony mom and thought she got the vibe...but I ended up with a lime green and white GT Dyno. Still a really good bike but not a chromed out Diamondback. Every once in a while I will look one up on BMX Museum just get that nostalgia again. I know the new riders would scoff at hearing about a Diamondback or Mongoose today, but those of us who rode BMX in the 80's remember what they were.

|

11/16/2020 3:39 PM

BMXogRider wrote:

I remember being a 10 year old kid with my first real BMX..a Team Murray. In my eyes it wasn't the "best bike" but it was better than the banana seat bike I had previously. I remember the first time I saw one of the "pro bike" brands, I nearly flipped my lid. Two brothers who lived near, me both got new bikes for Christmas and both of them were Diamondbacks. One was a Diamondback II and the other was a Diamondback Turbo. They were so shiny, chrome and of course they had the diamond symbol welded into the frame in the triangle between the top tube, down tube and head tube. I spent the next two years trying to figure out how would get one for myself and was so excited to see a new bike wrapped under the tree when I was 13. I had really talked up the Diamondbacks Tony mom and thought she got the vibe...but I ended up with a lime green and white GT Dyno. Still a really good bike but not a chromed out Diamondback. Every once in a while I will look one up on BMX Museum just get that nostalgia again. I know the new riders would scoff at hearing about a Diamondback or Mongoose today, but those of us who rode BMX in the 80's remember what they were.

This was my first bmx bike. Dad bought it for me for my 12th birthday at Toys R Us. I thought it was the best ever! It was a 1987 Murray X2. That bike was $72 if I remember correctly.
Photo

|

11/16/2020 6:31 PM

That is a sweet ride! It even had the laid back seat post! Awesome bro!

|

12/14/2020 10:44 AM

BMXogRider wrote:

Can you please identify what type of diamondback I have? To 21.5 TT The serial number is ACS 7A06717

|

J. Stjohn

3/30/2021 3:59 AM

BMXogRider wrote:

That's funny because I went from having a customized 84 SS getting ripped off to getting a team Murray for Xmas. I cracked it at the tri tube do to extreme riding

|

J. Stjohn