Old school riders- What are some cool tricks from your time that you don't see the younger generation do?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/14/2015 11:23 PM

I mostly want to know because I want to learn them and use them in a game of bike and have my friends wondering what the hell I just did :D. I'm also quite interested in the old school riding from the 70s-80s. Its amazing how much BMX has changed over the years!

|

"haha, did you steal that bike? hurhrhrurhurr" "no, fuck you thats just the brand."

6/18/2015 1:03 PM

Can can footplants.

Brian Blyther used to do them on vert soooo fluid and tweaked. It was like a stretched backside boneless.

Also two footed switzerland squeaker where you are just walking backwards on the front tire.

|

6/18/2015 1:06 PM

Photo

Old pic back when I still knew how to do these. Want to relearn this summer.

|

8/3/2015 5:04 AM

I don't consider myself to be old school since I'm only 26, and I don't know how far back you older guys consider "old school", but I'm honestly more fascinated by the older tricks and love doing them and watching them done as well. I grew up riding dirt and racing in the late 90's/early '00s, so basically anything pre-2002-ish I guess. I remember the time when backflips, double backflips and front flips weren't a standard trick that everyone had in their pocket, and every other trick wasn't a god damn barspin. Lol. Back when things like huge stretched superman seat grabs, no footed cans, toboggans, tailwhips, decades, turndowns, suicide no handers, nothings, etc were all like bad ass tricks. I dunno, just kinda feel like bmx as well as freestyle mx have both got way out of hand progression wise, like to the point of both losing their roots. But I guess you have to progress with everyone else to even be able to qualify for any comps or get sponsored nowadays because that's what people pay to see now.

To be honest, I would love more than anything to see a dirt or park comp nowadays where the judges ruled that there would be no flips allowed other than maybe one straight backflip per run, no double/triple tailwhip bs, etc. Just the good old tricks with smooth style! Hell, the rules should state each rider also has to build their bike with older frames and parts as well! Heavy frames, forks, wheels, all that good stuff! I doubt any companies would sponsor the event tho because they wouldn't see it as a money making opportunity, but it would be great to see the playing field a little more evenly matched for the older guys competing against whichever younger guys were willing to participate!

Like 2 years ago I threw together an old Haro frame I had with all the older heavy parts I had laying around collecting dust for years, and even tho it weighed probably 10 lbs more than my current newer Fit, I actually enjoyed riding it! Ended up giving to to one of my friends shortly after, but kinda wish I would've kept it honestly. I always have the urge to build another older ride just to have one, so I'm thinking I may go with an old S&M or something this time tho, another Haro. Or possibly a GT since I feel more connected to them sentimentally having owned literally at least half of their different models throughout the 90's and also spent a little time at the factory as well while growing up in Orange County (they were my brand of choice before I knew anything about S&M, also before they got bought out and everything went downhill).

Sorry for ranting and going off topic a little. Lol. Anyone else agree with me on any of this?

|

8/3/2015 6:59 AM

-Havok- wrote:

I don't consider myself to be old school since I'm only 26, and I don't know how far back you older guys consider "old school", but I'm honestly more fascinated by the older tricks and love doing them and watching them done as well. I grew up riding dirt and racing in the late 90's/early '00s, so basically anything pre-2002-ish I guess. I remember the time when backflips, double backflips and front flips weren't a standard trick that everyone had in their pocket, and every other trick wasn't a god damn barspin. Lol. Back when things like huge stretched superman seat grabs, no footed cans, toboggans, tailwhips, decades, turndowns, suicide no handers, nothings, etc were all like bad ass tricks. I dunno, just kinda feel like bmx as well as freestyle mx have both got way out of hand progression wise, like to the point of both losing their roots. But I guess you have to progress with everyone else to even be able to qualify for any comps or get sponsored nowadays because that's what people pay to see now.

To be honest, I would love more than anything to see a dirt or park comp nowadays where the judges ruled that there would be no flips allowed other than maybe one straight backflip per run, no double/triple tailwhip bs, etc. Just the good old tricks with smooth style! Hell, the rules should state each rider also has to build their bike with older frames and parts as well! Heavy frames, forks, wheels, all that good stuff! I doubt any companies would sponsor the event tho because they wouldn't see it as a money making opportunity, but it would be great to see the playing field a little more evenly matched for the older guys competing against whichever younger guys were willing to participate!

Like 2 years ago I threw together an old Haro frame I had with all the older heavy parts I had laying around collecting dust for years, and even tho it weighed probably 10 lbs more than my current newer Fit, I actually enjoyed riding it! Ended up giving to to one of my friends shortly after, but kinda wish I would've kept it honestly. I always have the urge to build another older ride just to have one, so I'm thinking I may go with an old S&M or something this time tho, another Haro. Or possibly a GT since I feel more connected to them sentimentally having owned literally at least half of their different models throughout the 90's and also spent a little time at the factory as well while growing up in Orange County (they were my brand of choice before I knew anything about S&M, also before they got bought out and everything went downhill).

Sorry for ranting and going off topic a little. Lol. Anyone else agree with me on any of this?

I agree with the classic style comp. They should do it as a charity event. I also think the same for things like Road Cycling, they should do a tour on bikes from the 80s, just to show who the truly skilled riders are, and that it is not the equipment.

As to companies not sponsoring it, honestly I feel like they would. It would be pretty good PR to do so.

Perhaps Vital could get thing started? I like the idea of style being graded over video-game tricks. That would be sweet.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/3/2015 12:40 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I agree with the classic style comp. They should do it as a charity event. I also think the same for things like Road Cycling, they should do a tour on bikes from the 80s, just to show who the truly skilled riders are, and that it is not the equipment.

As to companies not sponsoring it, honestly I feel like they would. It would be pretty good PR to do so.

Perhaps Vital could get thing started? I like the idea of style being graded over video-game tricks. That would be sweet.

Yeah that's kinda how I see it too. A charity event every year would be a great idea Dave! But yeah I feel like there's someone behind them button mashing some game type combos sometimes! Haha. And as for Vital, maybe a game of Vital classic BIKE with the same kinda rules? I think that would be great as well!

|

8/15/2015 10:27 PM

zagnut wrote: Photo

Old pic back when I still knew how to do these. Want to relearn this summer.

this is so badass.

and yeah. I know whatchall mean.

same with skating, all the old shit just seems so much cooler

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

9/11/2015 11:03 AM

Anything that starts without 13" of colored underwear hanging out and -----> ends with the damn hat staying on the head.

I remember those days fondly.

|

9/14/2015 7:47 PM

>be Dave and Havok
>complain about style not being graded in comps and people only caring about flips and triple whips
>Chase Hawk won the Xgames
>Chase Hawk
>biggest most corporate comp ever
>wins
>most technical trick was like a 360
>complain about how judges only care about tricks not style

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

10/19/2015 10:18 AM

-Havok- wrote:

I totally agree with you...grew up in the same era racing then as well. I still have my GT Bump that I rode as a pre teen...damn near 40-50 pounds lol couldnt bunny hop a curb but I could boost little dirt jumps! It weighed so much I basically aimed it where I wanted to go and held on for the ride! back when heavy was the norm! My GT box series expert I think weighed roughly 20 pounds and it was considered suuuuuper light lol.

|

10/28/2015 4:56 AM

No tweaks. Everything is clean and straight. Tweaks were the wow factor. Of course I tweak my hops still.

|

10/28/2015 4:57 AM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

>be Dave and Havok
>complain about style not being graded in comps and people only caring about flips and triple whips
>Chase Hawk won the Xgames
>Chase Hawk
>biggest most corporate comp ever
>wins
>most technical trick was like a 360
>complain about how judges only care about tricks not style

Chase is a God though. He is not your average dude.

|

10/28/2015 10:40 AM

Rob_Lund wrote:

No tweaks. Everything is clean and straight. Tweaks were the wow factor. Of course I tweak my hops still.

Yeah, riders used to take a trick and make it their own by tweaking it to a new level. Like Hoffman took the can-can and tweaked it so far it became the Hoffmonian can-can.

|

10/29/2015 2:34 PM

I like to do 90 degree hops and land with my bars 70 degrees the right way. Peeps like what the hell. Lol

|

11/20/2015 9:59 AM

I don't see people doing "ET"s I think we called them. Spinning your cranks in the air. And "Kickouts"? I forget the name. It's like a turn down but without the "down".

When I got back into this after 15 I was amazed by the sheer number of people doing tailwhips and backflips. And tailwip-backflips. Now they do them in a bunny hop. I can't tell the lips from the landing in dirt, everything is so steep and tall and almost everyone does a moto whip.

I agree, some riders are crazy talented and can pull crazy things, but it can be boring to watch after a while. Yet some riders like Chase and foster I can't get enough of.

Speaking of turn-downs and style, I can't get enough of that Cult trf frame video with Steven Mack. Talk about dripping style.

|

12/2/2015 1:26 PM

the funky chicken

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

6/3/2016 6:38 PM

Decade air. It's all hyper tail whips now. A decade air puts you way up there, and it looks so cool.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

6/15/2016 2:14 PM

Oldguyjon wrote:

Decade air. It's all hyper tail whips now. A decade air puts you way up there, and it looks so cool.

Wow! Decade air? Now that's something I have not done not seen in a long time! Nastalgia at its finest dude

|

6/15/2016 2:15 PM

Posting this classic from my era. Should give you a little flashback on the old stuff and style!

|