when is it time to walk away from BMX?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/13/2016 1:38 PM

A year ago had a bimalleolar ankle fracture that never really healed right.I waited a year and decided to remove hardware.I got an infection on the incision so out of work once again.The point im trying to make is im 48 been riding
BMX over 35 years.I enjoy riding with my 13 year old son more than anything but when is it time to walk away?

|

2/15/2016 4:31 PM

It's never time, just watch yourself. I had a bad wipe out on a ramp and have a 5 inch scar on my abdomen, need more surgery in June, but I won't stop ridin'.

|

3/2/2016 3:53 PM

I'm 44 and definitely do not feel like walking away. In fact I love it and feel younger the more I ride. Yes, injuries suck but like the above reply said, just have to be careful. Have to be able to work and all that so I guess it's a balancing act.

|

3/30/2016 7:44 AM

I'm 39 and just had my first kid. When I'm your age I can picture myself asking this same question. It's scary to think that when I'm 50 I will be trying to keep up with an 11 year old! You've done well to make it this far. I'm a machinist too so if I don't wreck myself it might be my knees that make me consider quitting. Didn't know jack about proper footwear for someone with high arches during my apprenticeship.

I would suggest setting goals according to the things you have absolutely wired and have as much fun within your comfort zone to minimize injury. That's my plan. Well I want to make a little more progress first. But setting a limit for progression seems to make the most sense to me for my body. Hope you keep at it!

|

3/30/2016 6:40 PM

Started riding around 76. Added mountain biking int he 90's during college. Still riding now at 46.

Have had many injuries and more near misses in both activities (as well as hockey). As long as I keep healing, I will keep riding and skating

My step-son is now just getting into BMX, so the cycle continues!!!

I think - as with everything else - you walk away when you're heart is not in it. For 40 years, I have been pulled onto a bicycle on a weekly basis. I live and breathe the activity! When I am injured, I am on line doing "fantasy builds", or mapping my next bike-packing route. I am working on the body parts that aren't hurt when I can.

If your heart is in it, the excuses/fear/hesitation will go away. If your heart is not in it, then walk away...but only because it is not rewarding to spend time on an activity you are not in love with

Hope to see you out there!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

8/13/2016 6:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2016 4:41 AM

Hey everyone, I am new on here. I just gotta say I totally agree with sXeBMXer's thoughts, right on man!!

I started riding in the late 70's and been riding on and off ever since. Here it is 2016 and I am 43 and find myself drawn back to the ole bike again! I don't think I will ever get too old, just more cautious out of fear of my slowed down recovery time with injuries.. Thats pretty much the only thing that does suck with getting older.

|

9/23/2016 1:16 AM

I never rode in the "old days" just started BMX at 48 with my son who is 5 ... loving it I have lost well over a stone feel fitter and stronger than I have in ages ... the gut and man boobs have nearly gone as well !!

I mainly ride parks I have some very helpful guys giving advice which I am sure has kept me out of hospital so far. Taking it slow and learning new things every week ...

Even though I have a few injury's from falls a lot of my old aches and pains from "getting old" have gone ...

For me being old was a state of mind ...

|

9/23/2016 10:57 AM

I would say the time to walk away is when it is no longer fun for you. If you keep riding and it becomes a chore, or you just don't enjoy it, take a break and see if that spark comes back.

You can always just cruise, flow around, do some manuals and stuff. BMX is what you make it for yourself. If your body cannot take it anymore, then maybe upsize your bike to a cruiser or DJ and go with your son.

And for the record I am 30, with a nearly 2 year old and 17 years on a BMX.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/25/2016 5:54 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I would say the time to walk away is when it is no longer fun for you. If you keep riding and it becomes a chore, or you just ...more

Perfectly said...

|

11/23/2016 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2016 5:03 PM

I walked away from riding on motocross tracks (motorcycles) about 4 years ago when I busted up a foot really bad. Did that for 7 years I think. I didn't like being layed up for 5 or 6 months. My riding got to a level I never planned on going, I'm don't think of myself as a real risk taker and decided I wasn't comfortable with the risks anymore, and riding differently wouldn't be fun. I had the most fun of my life in those years. I feel fortunate to get out of it in as good of shape as I did.

Looking for something else to do I wandered into playing on bmx bikes. Built some dirt jumps, crashed a few times and did some more thinking about risks. My conclusion was that we can't really pick what is fun for ourselves. If I could enjoy an afternoon fishing or playing golf that would be great, but I don't. I think I have found a few things I can enjoy without so much risk, bmx, trials bikes, mountain bikes and trials motorcycles.

Another thing to consider, if you quit riding, what are you going to do to replace the exercise you get riding the bike? If the answer is nothing I would say the benefit of the exercise should be included in the equation. If my hobbies include cardio I'm much more likely to get it done.

I'm 47.

|