Canon t3i questions.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/24/2013 7:49 PM

If I get the 50mm 1.8 should I get auto focus or no?
If I get this lens should I get the 18-55mm kit lens too?
Is there a fairly cheap fish eye to use until I save up for an Rokinon and should that be auto focus or no?
There's probably more I'm not thinking of.

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/24/2013 8:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2013 8:23 PM

I'm a nikon shooter personally but the lenses are generally very similar between the two (canon and nikon.)

50mm is a must get. And it will have auto focus. Or if canon has a 35mm 1.8 you may consider that since a 35mm is roughly the equivalent of a 50mm on an APS-C sensor (the sensor the t3i has) but if all else fails you can't go wrong with a 50mm.

Kit lenses are generally regarded as cheap and not worth the money, but have there uses. So that's up to you.

Rokinon fish eye lenses are great for the price, but they do not have autofocus. But since its a fish eye there is very little depth of field so focus isn't a huge issue. And a good tip for that lens if you're shooting outside in day light. Set the apature to F8 or higher and everything will be in focus. Here is a photo I took with a rokinon 8mm (on a nikon, but results will be similar) http://www.flickr.com/photos/strid3r21/8603644929/in/set-72157633128666312

|

4/25/2013 9:43 AM

I just got the 50mm, love it. Why do you do autofocus? Learn to not

|

Vimeo.com/bmxhope
Flickr.com/bmxhope

4/25/2013 12:24 PM

TXLJHOPE wrote:

I just got the 50mm, love it. Why do you do autofocus? Learn to not

I don't have the camera yet, this is just what I'm planing on getting. And yeah I don't plan on use auto focus unless I must.

|

Noah Farver

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/25/2013 12:55 PM

strid3r wrote:

I'm a nikon shooter personally but the lenses are generally very similar between the two (canon and nikon.)

50mm is a must ...more

Photo

This is what I was saying, but are they actually the same? I wont be getting the fish eye right away but I think it actually said auto aperture and exposure.
|

Noah Farver

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/25/2013 2:39 PM

strid3r wrote:

50mm is a must ...more

Nike iD wrote: Photo

This is what I was saying, but are they actually the same? I wont be getting the fish eye right away but I think it actually ...more

Yes they are except that one is gray market which means the warranty is void if you're in the USA. Gray market means they were bought overseas and then shipped here or will be shipped here. So their warranty is only valid in the country of origin.

Pay the extra $6 and get the non gray market one. That way if the lens stops working you can always send it in for repairs under warranty.

Auto focus is fine to use in normal situations, don't think you have to do manual only. But when filming fast moving objects sometimes the autofocus can mess up or not be fast enough. So in situations like that ill just pre-focus the shot then lock it down.

|

4/25/2013 6:07 PM

strid3r wrote:

Yes they are except that one is gray market which means the warranty is void if you're in the USA. Gray market means they were ...more

Ok thanks for the advice!

|

Noah Farver

[LINK TO IMAGE]