DSLR vs Video Camera?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/21/2014 6:02 PM

Why do you film using a dslr over a video camera and vice versa? Do you only film or do you shoot photos too? What DSLR body do you reccomend?

Right now I'm filming with two bridge cameras. Because the 2 combined was a quarter of the price of a dslr and I don't have a job. but now that I am getting a job I would like to buy a DSLR or maybe a sony vx100? to film with.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

1/21/2014 6:46 PM

The only reason I would recommend a DSLR over a video camera is if you take photos. That's literally the only reason why I chose a DSLR over a DV camera.

|

1/21/2014 8:44 PM

brianoob wrote:

The only reason I would recommend a DSLR over a video camera is if you take photos. That's literally the only reason why I chose a DSLR over a DV camera.

Why is that? From what I can tell from a beginners standpoint the dslr has more options video wise... 1080p HD with 60 fps would be plenty for somebody that shoots bmx videos and really most types of video. There are hundreds of lens options. And the lighting options also seem bettter (haven't looked into video lighting much though) and it's also more compact which makes it better for taking with you from spot to spot or if your shooting a documentary per say.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

1/22/2014 5:35 AM

DSLR! Very universal piece of equipment. I love mine. A DV is just video and thats it, also large and what not. A lot of riders are starting to use DSLR's instead it seems as well. They'll still use DV's forever though.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

1/24/2014 9:30 PM

if your using a video camera you have auto focusing capabilities a DSLR unless you have quite an expensive one doesn't usually have that so for that reason I hate filming BMX with mine...unless your filming mostly fisheye then it doesnt matter.

|