Filmers

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2012 8:19 PM

How many video nerds we got on here? Tell me a bit about yourself and your filming background. What do you shoot with (gear)? What do you like to shoot? Just BMX, or do you film anything else? Post some of your favorite work.

|

2/15/2012 8:28 PM

Wussup Ryan! Haha it's Genesis Apostol, I added you on FB.

..Anyways, I'm kind of a 'new' filming geek. I film with a dSLR because I also love taking pictures as well (so it makes it versatile right?) haha. I currently don't have any "good" work because I'm currently working on out city local edit out here. I also just film BMX but sometimes like little random stuff.

I wish I have two cameras to make a 2-angle clip in my videos but I just encourage my fellow riders to do them again and be precise about it. I'm also currently working on getting an 8mm fisheye along with an dimmable LED and fast-large capacity memory card. For my photography, I'm really working on getting an external flash but not those expensive Canon Speedlite ones haha.

Well that's all I got for now.

|

2/15/2012 8:37 PM

WildBycyclist666 wrote:

Wussup Ryan! Haha it's Genesis Apostol, I added you on FB.

..Anyways, I'm kind of a 'new' filming geek. I film with a dSLR because I also love taking pictures as well (so it makes it versatile right?) haha. I currently don't have any "good" work because I'm currently working on out city local edit out here. I also just film BMX but sometimes like little random stuff.

I wish I have two cameras to make a 2-angle clip in my videos but I just encourage my fellow riders to do them again and be precise about it. I'm also currently working on getting an 8mm fisheye along with an dimmable LED and fast-large capacity memory card. For my photography, I'm really working on getting an external flash but not those expensive Canon Speedlite ones haha.

Well that's all I got for now.

Whats up man? That's awesome! I don't know much about the scene in Victorville, it'll be good to see your edit. What DSLR do you shoot with? I have the Canon 60d myself. I use it for a lot of my non-bmx related work and a bit of BMX b-roll. I shoot photos with it for fun every once in awhile, but not very often. I want a to pick up flashs too, but like you said they can be pricey and there is always so much more video stuff I can spend that money on.

|

2/15/2012 8:41 PM

i try and film but i am total brocam status. i have too many clips and not enough good ones and not enough of myself because all of my friends are terrible at using my cam. this is my setup.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

2/15/2012 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2012 8:46 PM

Whats up, my name is zeb and i just got into the filming scene , i have a cheap camera now but hopefully gonna upgrade around the end of the year, i only film me an my friends and i really enjoy it. I also am into photography, i love it.

|

WANTED:
-=-=-=-=-=-
gsport birdcages: black

2/15/2012 8:51 PM

RiverSideRider wrote:

i try and film but i am total brocam status. i have too many clips and not enough good ones and not enough of myself because all of my friends are terrible at using my cam. this is my setup.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

That's quite a lens selection there haha Do you go out with the intention to shoot or do you just pull out the camera when you and your homies are sessioning? Maybe if you go out with the intention of filming or hit up one of the shredders in your scene you'll have more luck.

|

2/15/2012 8:53 PM

LilZebb wrote:

Whats up, my name is zeb and i just got into the filming scene , i have a cheap camera now but hopefully gonna upgrade around the end of the year, i only film me an my friends and i really enjoy it. I also am into photography, i love it.

Sup Zed? What did you have in mind for an upgrade? Do you have any examples of what you've shot?

|

2/15/2012 8:56 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

That's quite a lens selection there haha Do you go out with the intention to shoot or do you just pull out the camera when you and your homies are sessioning? Maybe if you go out with the intention of filming or hit up one of the shredders in your scene you'll have more luck.

me and my friends can all hold our own so riding is not the problem. its just the fact that we are lazy shits and every one is always busy. also having a hench crew makes filming better. i guess the fact that i ride once a week basically, that one time a week being the only filming time i don't really feel all that comfy going to get bangers. its all just bullshit excuses come to think of it.

|

2/15/2012 8:59 PM

RiverSideRider wrote:

me and my friends can all hold our own so riding is not the problem. its just the fact that we are lazy shits and every one is always busy. also having a hench crew makes filming better. i guess the fact that i ride once a week basically, that one time a week being the only filming time i don't really feel all that comfy going to get bangers. its all just bullshit excuses come to think of it.

haha I feel ya. It's always hard trying to rally the troops. I would kill to shoot and ride more locally, but a lot of the time real life sets in.

|

2/15/2012 9:02 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

haha I feel ya. It's always hard trying to rally the troops. I would kill to shoot and ride more locally, but a lot of the time real life sets in.

definitely. I would love to ride way more than i do.

|

2/15/2012 9:17 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

Whats up man? That's awesome! I don't know much about the scene in Victorville, it'll be good to see your edit. What DSLR do you shoot with? I have the Canon 60d myself. I use it for a lot of my non-bmx related work and a bit of BMX b-roll. I shoot photos with it for fun every once in awhile, but not very often. I want a to pick up flashs too, but like you said they can be pricey and there is always so much more video stuff I can spend that money on.

I shoot with a EOS Rebel T2i. I don't like the burst rate though I could go for something fast like the 60D or the 7D. Investing in dSLR footage is ridiculously expensive (tripods, support rigs, stabilizers, even lenses). Sometimes I wish to get a VX-2100 or GL2 haha. But I'm proud with my gear, especially the fact that I could take pictures as well but the money factor is a BITCH. I'm like $200 short of my 8mm fish haha.

|

2/15/2012 9:34 PM

WildBycyclist666 wrote:

I shoot with a EOS Rebel T2i. I don't like the burst rate though I could go for something fast like the 60D or the 7D. Investing in dSLR footage is ridiculously expensive (tripods, support rigs, stabilizers, even lenses). Sometimes I wish to get a VX-2100 or GL2 haha. But I'm proud with my gear, especially the fact that I could take pictures as well but the money factor is a BITCH. I'm like $200 short of my 8mm fish haha.

I had that camera for a bit before the 60d was released. Video essentially looks the same, but the 60d does have more functionality and as you said is much better for photography. I bought into the DSLR thing for a minute, but in my opinion there is just too much to worry about with all that support, audio issues, lenses. For BMX at least; in commercial work, I love equipment. The more the merrier. I find myself shooting on the HMC150 for almost everything BMX now. I was using my 60d for lifestyle shots, but recently I've been trying to sub that out for 16mm film. It can be pricey, but when you shoot it only for b-roll you can fit 5-10 projects on a $300 lab fee. Takes a bit out of my profits, but I enjoy shooting emulsion so its worth it.

|

2/15/2012 9:43 PM

Names Jorge.
Shoot: BMX, legal work, and random everyday shit
Equipment: Nikon d3100 and might be getting a fisheye in the near future, or possibly selling the nikon and t3 and getting a bundle package consisting of a gl2 and t3i.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

Life is like a Penis, simple, soft, straight, relaxed and hanging freely! Then women make it hard,.. \m/

2/15/2012 10:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2012 10:03 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

I had that camera for a bit before the 60d was released. Video essentially looks the same, but the 60d does have more functionality and as you said is much better for photography. I bought into the DSLR thing for a minute, but in my opinion there is just too much to worry about with all that support, audio issues, lenses. For BMX at least; in commercial work, I love equipment. The more the merrier. I find myself shooting on the HMC150 for almost everything BMX now. I was using my 60d for lifestyle shots, but recently I've been trying to sub that out for 16mm film. It can be pricey, but when you shoot it only for b-roll you can fit 5-10 projects on a $300 lab fee. Takes a bit out of my profits, but I enjoy shooting emulsion so its worth it.

I hear you bud! I might look into the more "professional" camcorders, but I'll just stick to my Canon and invest into more accessories.

Good talking to you man!

|

2/15/2012 10:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2012 10:06 PM

right now i'm only taking photos of bmx
in the future i would like to start filming though haha
i dont have a video camera
my DSLR can't record video haha (Canon 400D/XTi)

|

2/15/2012 10:09 PM

brianoob wrote:

right now i'm only taking photos of bmx
in the future i would like to start filming though haha
i dont have a video camera
my DSLR can't record video haha (Canon 400D/XTi)

That sucks!

|

2/15/2012 10:12 PM

WildBycyclist666 wrote:

That sucks!

He makes up for it with the shit he snaps. I've seen his work.

|

Life is like a Penis, simple, soft, straight, relaxed and hanging freely! Then women make it hard,.. \m/

2/15/2012 10:14 PM

Night Light wrote:

He makes up for it with the shit he snaps. I've seen his work.

I have too, just suck you can't shoot video :/

|

2/16/2012 8:51 AM

Hey ryan, any tips on filming while Riding at the same time? I usually find myself in a position where i have to do it, and im absolutely horrible at it. I would use my skateboard, but i cant lug that around everywhere since i cant drive yet. I have a camera setup similar to riversiderider.

|

2/16/2012 9:15 AM

Fbm Marauder wrote:

Hey ryan, any tips on filming while Riding at the same time? I usually find myself in a position where i have to do it, and im absolutely horrible at it. I would use my skateboard, but i cant lug that around everywhere since i cant drive yet. I have a camera setup similar to riversiderider.

If you're having trouble getting a skateboard around, I would just get a backpack with skate straps and use that while you're pedaling. It could get heavy with your gear in it, but that's just a fact we have to face if we want to film bmx haha As far as filming from a bike though, obviously long lens will never work, but with a fish eye i always focus on holding my bars straight with the one hand, almost bowing my legs slightly and continuously pedaling slowly. If you think about it, when you ride, you feel the most balanced while you're pedaling, so it makes sense. When filming, it can be hard to stop and start pedaling while trying hold the camera steady too. I always feel goofy, but it does help. I just prefer the skateboard for sure though haha

|

2/16/2012 12:59 PM

I got into filming because of coming on sites like Vital, I watched the videos and thought fucckkkk I wanna make that and I've started doing it! I use a 7D and a few lenses aswell as a Manfrotto tripod when I can be bothered to take it out as its a tank and I ride everywhere haha! I've got a youtube and a some of my photos are on pinkbike which I try to get updated... been filming for less than half a year
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrendanONeillMedia/videos
http://brendanoneillmedia.pinkbike.com/
Sorry about my lack of videos, I'll make more if you guys like what I'm doing smile

|

2/16/2012 6:01 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

Sup Zed? What did you have in mind for an upgrade? Do you have any examples of what you've shot?

i have an edit im about to post when im done with it soon, but im looking to upgrade to a more advanced camera maybe a DSLR but it depends how much i can afford by then lol smile

|

WANTED:
-=-=-=-=-=-
gsport birdcages: black

2/17/2012 2:11 PM

LilZebb wrote:

i have an edit im about to post when im done with it soon, but im looking to upgrade to a more advanced camera maybe a DSLR but it depends how much i can afford by then lol smile

Canon t2i 18-55mm lens kits pretty worth it.

Go look for packages online that might come with extra accessories like polarizing filters, memory card, etc.

|

2/17/2012 2:28 PM

-Brendan- wrote:

I got into filming because of coming on sites like Vital, I watched the videos and thought fucckkkk I wanna make that and I've started doing it! I use a 7D and a few lenses aswell as a Manfrotto tripod when I can be bothered to take it out as its a tank and I ride everywhere haha! I've got a youtube and a some of my photos are on pinkbike which I try to get updated... been filming for less than half a year
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrendanONeillMedia/videos
http://brendanoneillmedia.pinkbike.com/
Sorry about my lack of videos, I'll make more if you guys like what I'm doing smile

Nice place to gain inspiration! haha Any videos you've liked in particular? What's in your lens set?

|

2/17/2012 2:31 PM

Thinking about selling my d3100 and saving a bit and getting my friends 60D.

|

2/17/2012 2:33 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

LilZebb wrote:

WildBycyclist666 wrote:

Canon t2i 18-55mm lens kits pretty worth it.

Go look for packages online that might come with extra accessories like polarizing filters, memory card, etc.

Yeah the t2i is a fine beast in the DSLR realm and you can find it new for under $500. If you could afford it though I would spend the extra $100 and get the t3i, if you can. A couple features borrowed from the 60d that the t2i lacks. Kits are always good to find cheap, but don't spend too much extra for one because a lot of the time they are just getting you on knock off rubbish.

|

2/17/2012 2:36 PM

Night Light wrote:

Thinking about selling my d3100 and saving a bit and getting my friends 60D.

That would be rad. If you're set on doing a DSLR, that is definitely my first choice right now. 7d is a bit overkill for video types because the only upgrades are photo related, and the DSLRs with upgraded video capabilities are of the 5d or 1d varieties and much more expensive.

|

2/17/2012 2:41 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

That would be rad. If you're set on doing a DSLR, that is definitely my first choice right now. 7d is a bit overkill for video types because the only upgrades are photo related, and the DSLRs with upgraded video capabilities are of the 5d or 1d varieties and much more expensive.

I've got a t3 and the 3100 right now and find myself shooting more with the t3 since i have a range of lenses to choose from. (Mom keeps adding to her collection).

My plan was to sell both cameras i have now, but the apple display i have been wanting, and save the rest of the money for a t3i.

Any huge reasons to go 60D > t3i?

|

2/17/2012 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2012 3:11 PM

Night Light wrote:

I've got a t3 and the 3100 right now and find myself shooting more with the t3 since i have a range of lenses to choose from. (Mom keeps adding to her collection).

My plan was to sell both cameras i have now, but the apple display i have been wanting, and save the rest of the money for a t3i.

Any huge reasons to go 60D > t3i?

For me on the 60d my biggest deal was the size over the t3i. t3i just feels so much cheaper. Plus the additional readout on top, the better control setup, much better battery and the bigger brighter viewfinder. A bit of a faster shutter for sequences, a faster AF system, and a couple other photo features that benefit shooting sports. If you are only concerned with the image on the screen however, not any huge video improvements.

|

2/17/2012 3:11 PM

rwg2008 wrote:

For me on the 60d my biggest deal was the size over the t3i. t3i just feels so much cheaper. Plus the additional readout on top, the better control setup, much better battery and the bigger brighter viewfinder. A bit of a faster shutter for sequences, a faster AF system, and a couple other photo features that benefit shooting sports. If you are only concerned with the image on the screen however, not any huge video improvements.

That's sort of what i've beem finding as i search online. I know for sure that i need to go canon for the reasons stated above. It just makes more sense.

My buddy wants 750 for his 60D, so i need to figure things out quick.

|