Getting into photography

Related:
Create New Tag

4/16/2013 12:36 PM

Hello everyone, I figured I would come to the people who actually take pictures to ask how I should go about getting into photography. I am looking for a cheaper camera I guess to start with and get the basics. I want to focus on bmx and nature too. I was looking at some Nikons but I was just wondering how I should go about it, or what are good some good cameras to look at

Kind of a jumble of random thoughts so

what are good beginner cameras, and lenses

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

4/16/2013 2:15 PM

yooo. im a preety amatuer photographer, got my camera like 10 months ago.

but i got a canon t3i, im really happy with it. id say try to find a big bundle deal, i got the camera, 18-55 kit lens, a wide angle and 2x zoom lense attachments, SD card, extra battery, a tripod and a bag all for 800 or so, along with other things im forgetting,

the t3i is like 650 right now at best buy, it was a little more expensive when i bought mine, before the t4i came out, but i bassically got a ton of extra shit for 100$ to jumpstart me on gear

then a scorpion handle is like 30, a mic is another 20.

id say get a camera with video capability and be able to plug in a microphone. the kit lense is plenty good enough to use for awhile, then u can start spendng money on lenses

how much are you looking to spend?

|

Refs: 36 + (i forgot a few)!! ScramHype (x2) , TCbmx.(x4), Ecuadevil (x3), Lee Rager (please dont delete me) x3, Futurefbm, genisis,netti spagetti, carjakester,BMX-\1995/, showtime402 (x2), 562_Rider , SuperstarDk (x2), Kurt4413, Joe green (x2), Dee hos, Spenlard,roqfan,Stolen Cherry, ninjacat33, Broughton, also local deals with Droogskull, and jbeaton13

4/16/2013 5:51 PM

Warchol2 wrote:

yooo. im a preety amatuer photographer, got my camera like 10 months ago.

but i got a canon t3i, im really happy with it. id say try to find a big bundle deal, i got the camera, 18-55 kit lens, a wide angle and 2x zoom lense attachments, SD card, extra battery, a tripod and a bag all for 800 or so, along with other things im forgetting,

the t3i is like 650 right now at best buy, it was a little more expensive when i bought mine, before the t4i came out, but i bassically got a ton of extra shit for 100$ to jumpstart me on gear

then a scorpion handle is like 30, a mic is another 20.

id say get a camera with video capability and be able to plug in a microphone. the kit lense is plenty good enough to use for awhile, then u can start spendng money on lenses

how much are you looking to spend?

Not really focusing on filming, but around 300 to 400, maybe more if I save up!

I'm looking at the Nikon d3100

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

4/16/2013 6:11 PM

Effting wrote:

Not really focusing on filming, but around 300 to 400, maybe more if I save up!

I'm looking at the Nikon d3100

o ok ok.i looked into the 3100 when i was camera shopping

ive never used nikon but my stepmom has one and i dont like it. i think the interface in general is harder to use. harder to understand. even with my t3i which is sorta middle of the road, it gives u a description of each mode as you switch to it on the dial.


id say just watch a ton of youtubes and reviews about the system in general. that will help a lot. check out the canon t1i or t2i also just for good measure. i think it all come down to which will be easier to use, learn on, becuase they are both nice cameras that will throw out some great images if you know how to use them.

|

Refs: 36 + (i forgot a few)!! ScramHype (x2) , TCbmx.(x4), Ecuadevil (x3), Lee Rager (please dont delete me) x3, Futurefbm, genisis,netti spagetti, carjakester,BMX-\1995/, showtime402 (x2), 562_Rider , SuperstarDk (x2), Kurt4413, Joe green (x2), Dee hos, Spenlard,roqfan,Stolen Cherry, ninjacat33, Broughton, also local deals with Droogskull, and jbeaton13

4/16/2013 7:31 PM

I think I'm going to get a used Nikon FM10 film camera and if I like and dig it I will purchase the t3i for my birthday, I have heard a lot of positive things about the FM10 and teaching you the basics of photography and people still use it after 10 years, I want to take a bunch of black and white photos with it.

But I really am considering the t3i! Did you purchase a fish eye?

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

4/17/2013 3:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2013 3:53 AM

Effting wrote:

I think I'm going to get a used Nikon FM10 film camera and if I like and dig it I will purchase the t3i for my birthday, I have heard a lot of positive things about the FM10 and teaching you the basics of photography and people still use it after 10 years, I want to take a bunch of black and white photos with it.

But I really am considering the t3i! Did you purchase a fish eye?

I'd stick to one company instead of both Nikon and Canon just because their settings are called different stuff. I'd be too lazy to re-learn the settings and stuff. Have you ever used film? I hate it, doing film photography for university and it's the most annoying shit in the world hahahahha.

A good set-up for beginners would be T3i Body Only ($500), Canon 50mm 1.8($100) and Rokinon 8mm f3.5 ($300). I love my 50mm 1.8, all of my long shots are shot with it, the only lens I use for photos are fisheye and the 50mm.

|

4/18/2013 6:25 PM

brianoob wrote:

I'd stick to one company instead of both Nikon and Canon just because their settings are called different stuff. I'd be too lazy to re-learn the settings and stuff. Have you ever used film? I hate it, doing film photography for university and it's the most annoying shit in the world hahahahha.

A good set-up for beginners would be T3i Body Only ($500), Canon 50mm 1.8($100) and Rokinon 8mm f3.5 ($300). I love my 50mm 1.8, all of my long shots are shot with it, the only lens I use for photos are fisheye and the 50mm.

Can I see some of your shots? I really wanna get into photography soon and want a t3i.

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/18/2013 8:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2013 8:06 PM

Nike iD wrote:

Can I see some of your shots? I really wanna get into photography soon and want a t3i.

Photo
Photo

All of the photos below are taken with the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens.
Photo
Photo
Photo

This tooth hangover was one of my earlier photos. It was taken with a Canon 400D/XTi which has specs much worst/outdated compared to the T3i.
Photo
|

4/21/2013 11:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2013 11:34 AM

brianoob wrote:

I'd stick to one company instead of both Nikon and Canon just because their settings are called different stuff. I'd be too lazy to re-learn the settings and stuff. Have you ever used film? I hate it, doing film photography for university and it's the most annoying shit in the world hahahahha.

A good set-up for beginners would be T3i Body Only ($500), Canon 50mm 1.8($100) and Rokinon 8mm f3.5 ($300). I love my 50mm 1.8, all of my long shots are shot with it, the only lens I use for photos are fisheye and the 50mm.

Since I know nothing much about photography, would you say the 50mm is better than the 18-55mm? Why? (Like I said I don't know anything really, so I'm just curious and wanna learn more) Oh and I'll be doing mostly BMX stuff but would also like to do some just regular photography of some sort.

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/21/2013 4:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2013 4:06 PM

Nike iD wrote:

Since I know nothing much about photography, would you say the 50mm is better than the 18-55mm? Why? (Like I said I don't know anything really, so I'm just curious and wanna learn more) Oh and I'll be doing mostly BMX stuff but would also like to do some just regular photography of some sort.

It just depends on your requirements but personally I like it better than the 18-55mm for these reasons:
- f1.8 = wide open aperture which means more light, so better low light performance and very shallow depth of field
- no zoom (some people might see this as a con) = I feel like it makes composition a bit more easier since you don't have to worry about choosing the focal length (zoom).
- small and light = good since I ride around with the camera gear
- pretty crispy images
Also I pretty much only take BMX photos so I don't really need wide angle to take group photos or something.

The 18-55mm though has:
- image stabiliser
- zoom
- wider angle

If you're a beginner then 18-55mm is probably good to start on just so you know what kind of lens you'll want in the future. I definitely recommend getting a 50mm f1.8 at least later in the track though. It's only about $100 too.

|

4/21/2013 7:50 PM

brianoob wrote:

It just depends on your requirements but personally I like it better than the 18-55mm for these reasons:
- f1.8 = wide open aperture which means more light, so better low light performance and very shallow depth of field
- no zoom (some people might see this as a con) = I feel like it makes composition a bit more easier since you don't have to worry about choosing the focal length (zoom).
- small and light = good since I ride around with the camera gear
- pretty crispy images
Also I pretty much only take BMX photos so I don't really need wide angle to take group photos or something.

The 18-55mm though has:
- image stabiliser
- zoom
- wider angle

If you're a beginner then 18-55mm is probably good to start on just so you know what kind of lens you'll want in the future. I definitely recommend getting a 50mm f1.8 at least later in the track though. It's only about $100 too.

Thanks! Nice pics btw. Will the 18-55mm lens be good to film with?

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

4/28/2013 8:31 AM

I am getting t3i kit you recommended, really stoked to get into it, as said I will not be filming just photos

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy